• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Over the Ear Headphones for Travel

shasta

Reaction score
I'll be spending some time in the sky over the next year and was wondering what the best over the ear headphoens are for Travel. So far I've looked at Bose, Beats by Dre (solo), and Sennheiser. I'm looking for an over the ear model that is collapsable and portable.

Reviews seem pretty hit or miss, would love to hear the forums thoughts.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been content with these at my office. They fold up fairly small and don't let in much ambient noise.

For travel, though, I use canal phones/IEMs. Way better isolation and they take up less space in packing.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I have the space, I bring along my Able Planet Noise Cancelling headphones that I picked on sale for $50 (happens once or twice a year). The noise cancellation is at least 90% as good as the Bose QC15 (gf got one as a gift a few years back) but I think the sound quality on the Able Planet is a little better. Can't beat that for $50.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My Bose QC 15s have been great, but they do take up lots of space when carried in its case. I leave the case at home.

shasta

Reaction score
Totally can understand the space issues, but I've tried countless earbud models and they just don't work well with my ears - all have been either painful (feels like I'm 30 feet under water and the pressure is going to burst my ear drums), or they fall out quickly.

Erlendsen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shasta
Totally can understand the space issues, but I've tried countless earbud models and they just don't work well with my ears - all have been either painful (feels like I'm 30 feet under water and the pressure is going to burst my ear drums), or they fall out quickly.

What kind of material did those earbuds contain? I bought Ultimate Ears buds 5 years ago, and since then I`ve upgraded to a pricier model due to the satisfaction. The buds are made of silicone, and fits great. I even convinced my dad to buy them after he tested mine. He claims it`s one of his best investments, even though they were pricey.

I`d recommend to test them. If you have an iPhone, you can get a cable that suits the phone greatly with a play/pause/answer/hang up button and a microphone embedded.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Bose... space can be an issue but they're very comfortable and reliable.
Noise cancellation is importan in flight otherwise you just have to drive the volume too high.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score

I feel the same way, and only use open air headphones like Grado Labs.... although that probably won't help you out as they do not travel well.

J. Gatsby

Reaction score
I have the Bose QC15's and love them. They are a little bigger so they take up a bit of room, but they are well worth it. I use them for work and travel.

speedy4500

Reaction score

I used to feel the same, but I was convinced to get Nu Force NE-6 and also some Comply T-400 memory foam tips that you can buy at most RadioShacks. The combination of the NE-6 and the foam tips is hands-down the best earphone setup you can buy for the money. Phenomenal sound, great isolation, and the least irritating earphones I've ever used, even more comfortable than Sennheiser or Grado over-the-ear. With the Comply foam tips, I've had them in my ears for 4 hours straight before and no fatigue at all; sometimes I even just put them in without any music to dampen environmental noise. Plus, they're small, built tough, and cheap.... I bought a second pair for back-up in case my first set gets lost. And since they sit inside your ear, you can rest your head on the side without trouble.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedy4500
...With the Comply foam tips, I've had them in my ears for 4 hours straight before and no fatigue at all; sometimes I even just put them in without any music to dampen environmental noise...

My fiancee got some JVC marshmallows because they're cheap and red. Her ear canals are microscopic; I had to carve the bundled foam tips down 'til they'd fit. Well, we picked up some Comply tips for the JVCs (also in red, of course), and they fit her like a dream.

I'm a convert. Comply does good stuff. They're worth a shot, particularly if you get a setup like hers; it'll set you back maybe fifty bucks total for the marshmallows and a set of five pairs of tips.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite over-the-ear headphones for travel are Sennheiser PX100s because:

-- they are relatively inexpensive (though they are now twice as expensive as when I bought them)
-- they collapse into the included carrier, which is quite durable
-- they are easy to power, so sound good driven directly out of the iPod

The PX100 is an open headphone, so it won't block outside noise at all. The PX200 is sealed, so it will block out some noise, but it doesn't sound as good. The PXC250 is a newer model with the same design, and noise cancellation. I haven't tried that one yet, but if I were to buy a noise-canceling headphone, this is the one I'd get.

IME, Bose headphones sound poor in comparison to the usually lower-priced competition, though sound quality may not be your only consideration.

shasta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
My favorite over-the-ear headphones for travel are Sennheiser PX100s because:

-- they are relatively inexpensive (though they are now twice as expensive as when I bought them)
-- they collapse into the included carrier, which is quite durable
-- they are easy to power, so sound good driven directly out of the iPod

The PX100 is an open headphone, so it won't block outside noise at all. The PX200 is sealed, so it will block out some noise, but it doesn't sound as good. The PXC250 is a newer model with the same design, and noise cancellation. I haven't tried that one yet, but if I were to buy a noise-canceling headphone, this is the one I'd get.

IME, Bose headphones sound poor in comparison to the usually lower-priced competition, though sound quality may not be your only consideration.

I'm sort of inclined to give the Sennheiser PXC250's a try - I have the PMX 100 that I use in the gym (it's the behind the neck model) and they seem to work will. They are only $12 cheaper than bose though...

http://bit.ly/g5JHS2

vs. Bose

http://bit.ly/fjKjGd

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads