1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendors, Mangue Lucy and Sons of Henrey We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendors, Mangue Lucy, an international design collaboration based in Milan that focuses on creating fine ready-to-wear, sourcing top-quality materials and working with exceptional production facilities in Italy to offer honest, modern, and quality casual-wear, and Sons of Henrey a contemporary footwear brand, committed to producing a shoe of timeless elegance, at exceptional value.

Best outsole for city walking

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Coldfire3k3, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Coldfire3k3

Coldfire3k3 Active Member

I understand this point and I've been thinking about it. I think people who purchase a pair of St. Crispin's shoes are motivated by one or a combination of the following: 1) getting a good fit with their personal last / bespoke options, 2) the craftsmanship and 3) style.

For me, though all are important, 1) is the most important since I have difficult to fit feet. So I'm willing to sacrifice some craftsmanship and style for comfort and function.

2. Blake Stitched Blues

Blake Stitched Blues Senior Member

Ok. My vote is for the Gumlite then. It's thinner than crepe, wears better and has excellent grip in rain and snow. Super soft and comfortable under foot.

3. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

A lifetime of sneaker wearing has left peoples feet WEAK.

As to what is BEST, depends on the person and the shoe/boot. If you put an Itshide or Vibram 100 Commando sole on a cap toe balmoral you're a fool. If you can't walk 10 ft. in leather without slipping and falling, either leather might not be for you, or you should see a podiatrist.

As for Dainite, many people complain about the hardness. And, yes, it can feel like you're walking on cleats for the first wear or three or X. But they do break in, and if you are indeed walking primarily on city sidewalks, the nubs will wear down closer to flush rather quickly.

Personally, I prefer leather. Sun, rain, or snow (double if applicable, i.e. a cap toe balmoral should have a single leather sole). If you find leather too slippery, see if the manufacturer offers an in-house rubber half sole, like Allen Edmonds V-Tread. You can go with a rubber toppy, but the factory applied half sole has a much cleaner profile.

BTW, It's the insole that molds to your foot, not the outsole (regardless of material). The only thing the out sole typically does is curl, which happens when you don't use shoe trees.

4. Steven Cash

Steven Cash Senior Member

Leather.

I have only slipped in the rain once and I was wearing Dainite soled G&Gs. Dainite is an absolutely pointless sole material - ugly, exposed stitching (apart from the few makers that just cement them on - I understand Stc C is one of those makers), wears unevenly and doesn't offer better grip or durability to leather during inclement weather.

Rubber soles are for trainers, not quality shoes.

5. Coldfire3k3

Coldfire3k3 Active Member

Something I'm curious to get opinions on is: why do podiatrists generally recommend rubber outsoles to ensure cushioning and grip and advise not to use leather outsoles?