STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best outsole for city walking

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Coldfire3k3, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Oshare

Oshare Senior Member

Hm. Are Dianite brand soles much harder than other makers “Dianite-like” soles?

I have 2 pairs with that type of sole and find them to be very comfortable for city walking, even all day (I do quite a bit of walking and don’t own a car)... but neither are Dianite brand: one is a John Lobb Dianite-style rubber sole and the other is Vibram Dianite-style soles I put on a pair of Church’s when I had them resoled.

I agree that they don’t provide the greatest grip on wet slippery surfaces, but compared to my leather soles shoes I’d never felt the Dianite-like soles were uncomfortable.

2. breakaway01

breakaway01 Distinguished Member

I have many Dainite soled shoes and find them quite comfortable. I work in biomedical research and clinical medicine, and I don’t like the idea of wearing leather soled shoes into a lab or clinic. Obviously this is not an issue for most. Still I have no complaints about Dainite soles. I find them about as comfortable as other rubber soled shoes e.g. Carmina Tomir.

3. Lucido

Lucido Senior Member

The Vibram Eton is definitely softer and although I have no experience with it, I have seen Nick from B Nelson mentioning that the Lobb version ('October', I think?) is much softer than Dainite.

The best rubber sole I've ever owned is the RM Williams Longhorn. It's slim, comfortable and extremely flexible. It's soft enough that you can press it with your fingernail but it wears like iron. The only thing I've ever had to do with mine is getting the heel toplift replaced after three years of wear.

4. Oshare

Oshare Senior Member

Thanks. Good to keep in mind.

When I had the Church’s resoled, my cobbler recommended Vibram over Dianite, but I do not remember his reason. Perhaps this is it. ;)

My JL’s have octagonal studs rather than circular, so that would fit with the October naming. They are double soled compared to the single Vibrams.

Both are quite comfortable for extended city walking and of course hold up well on rainy days.

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi

I've also never had a problem with Dainite. I find the break-in period to be shorter than some leather soles, although that depends on the leather sole.

I find some brands just hard to break in, like Meermin and StC. Or if you get something like a double leather soled shoe.

To the OP, I just remembered last night that I have a pair of StCs on their yoyo sole. It's cushier than a leather sole with a Topy. I don't know about grippier, but I imagine the difference is pretty marginal.

One thing to consider for crepe soles: they get really dirty really fast, and are almost impossible to clean. So you just wind up living with this gunky sole.

6. bamboo

bamboo Senior Member

I like double leather sole and ridgeway type sole for walking.

7. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Distinguished Member

G&G wensum sole is very comfortable for walking distances. I don't know where it is sourced from, or if StC can get them.

8. armedferret

armedferret Distinguished Member

My AEs with dainite do tend to get a lot less comfortable as the day progresses if i'm walking around; I tend to stick with my massdrop chukkas, unless shorts are called for in which case i'll probably end up in my strandmok 2.0 as they're a vibram outsole.

9. Kushcoma9000

Kushcoma9000 Well-Known Member

Get you some Adidas UltraBoosts then man, they're the most comfortable shoes in the world

10. Coldfire3k3

Coldfire3k3 Active Member

How does the Yoyo sole compare to Crepe?

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi

My crepe soled shoes aren't from StC, they're from other manufacturers. When you change models and manufacturers like that, I'm not sure it makes sense to boil down comfort to just the sole type.

12. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

They also wear very quickly. Nonetheless, I like them and had a shoe repair shop convert pair of shell Aldens to "all weather walkers" (complete with leather, stitched toe piece) because Alden doesn't make an AWW in the Modified Last. When these give out, I will do it again, but not with shell as I find it not the best rain/snow material.

13. Coldfire3k3

Coldfire3k3 Active Member

OK. I believe St. Crispin's describes Yoyo as a derivative of Crepe but more grippy and durable.

14. Lucido

Lucido Senior Member

Looks like StC will do Vibram Gumlite also. I have this sole on a pair of suede derbies and can vouch for it being very comfortable - lightweight and 'cushy' under the foot, wears well and has great grip in the rain. All the comfort of crepe with none of the downsides.

Having said that - does it really make sense to drop Saint Crispies money on a handwelted shoe with a pegged waist and super close trimmed uppers and then stick on a $30 Vibram outsole? I'm saying this a fan of soft, comfy soles but if I ever sold a kidney and wanted to invest in a pair it would be closed channel single leather all day long for me.

Side.png Sole.png

15. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Distinguished Member

You can just get the vibram topy if you want the beautiful waist.