• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best options for sub-$50 dress shirts for interviews

Kelped

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of building my work wardrobe and need some suggestions for one or two decent (ie, not see-through) dress shirts to go with my new charcoal Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald shirt. I am looking for something in white and/or blue in size 14.5 slim fit with 32" sleeves for under $50. I really wish I had looked harder during the after Christmas sales, but it was tough finding something in my size that was on sale.

I've read through some past threads and it seems to be the consensus that Lands' End and Costco shirts are decent for the price when on sale. Is this still true?

Lands' End shirts are currently selling for $50 on their website:
http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-tai...n-_-dress-shirts-ties-_-straight&origin=index

Are they worth paying retail price for, or would I be better off looking at TJ Maxx/Marshall's or Macy's? Nordstrom's store-brand dress shirts are no longer on sale (at least not in my size), and I'm not sure if they are really worth the $50-80. What are my other options? Express? Outlet stores? I'm in the Boston area, btw.

I'm really looking for something to get me through my interviews, so quality/comfort/durability are secondary considerations for me... but I also want to look presentable.

Thanks!

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to say lands end when I clicked on this thread. By and large, TJ Maxx/ Marshalls have crap in unpredictable sizes (and generally very little in 14.5). The price will be lower, but it's $15 for a really crappy shirt or $50 for one that can play with the big boys.

Basically, Land's End stuff is the best I've seen at that price point. You might also try H&M, they have some surprisingly decent menswear (IIRC, at the $30 price point). Just watch out and make sure it's 100% cotton.

Last edited:

prozach1576

Reaction score
Lands' End non-iron fabric is absolutely horrid in my experience. I believe all of their dress-shirts except for OCBDs are non-iron too.

I have low standards for shirts and I still can't wear the Lands' End non-iron shirt I bought. The (Tailored) fit is decent, but it feels like sandpaper and breathes like a sheet of rubber.

bjornb17

Reaction score
I vote for CT as well... some on sale for $35 on their website right now. I've gotten them as cheap as $24.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would check out the Brooks Brothers Sale. 50% off if you buy 2 shirts, which puts them at $44 each.

I would also look at Ralph Lauren if you have an outlet around you. Their Estate fits are pretty slim and are usually around $40 on sale.

Get a white and a light blue and you are off to a solid start.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads