• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best options for buying a bespoke suit in italy?

random512

Reaction score
What are the best options for buying a bespoke suit in Italy? Most USA tailors have their suits made in HK and sometimes the result is decent but I'm guessing that there are better bespoke suit options to be had in Italy at prices less than Saville Row. What are some of the top options for this?

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More context is necessary.

What styles do you like?
What's your budget?
Where do you live (presuming US)?
What languages do you speak?
How much experience do you have with bespoke?
Do you envision this as an ongoing relationship or a oneoff?

If you go with Fonz4's list, know that Corcos isn't taking new clients until next year, at the earliest.

random512

Reaction score
Budget - I would prefer to spend $2k or less for a VBC 110's. That's what I would consider happy value territory. I could possibly go to a max of $2500 for a suit and experience that hits it out of the ballpark.

Styles - I like a basic, modern 2-piece. I'm picky about shoulders. I wouldn't want the "wrinkly" shoulder style and I would want a custom lapel.

Location - I live in USA but plan to be hopping around Europe next year

Languages - I only speak English

Bespoke Experience - Over 10 years

Relationship - If I'm delighted with the quality then I could see myself potentially buying 2 pants and 2 jackets per year

random512

Reaction score
I'm surprised that I didn't get a response of something like "too many to list" given Italy's history of tailoring. Tailoring used to be a huge profession in Italy. I assume that dropped off a lot as lower cost RTW made its ascent. And probably another big drop off with the ascent of outsourcing to HK. But 6 recommended tailor shops in the whole country of Italy is anemic. Wow - Sartorial Ripense starts at $4400 for a bespoke suit:

That's quite steep and very hard to justify these days for the 99% and even a lot of the 1%

random512

Reaction score
What about Antonio Panico in Naples?:

He seems like a pretty cool dude and he's pricey but not ridiculous, starting at $2800. I'm guessing that I could probably get what I want for < $3K. Here's a pic of him and his crew:

Attachments

• 7a8cc113ad16c983fa3a396466599e9e.jpg
    7a8cc113ad16c983fa3a396466599e9e.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,702

Fonz4

Reaction score
Budget - I would prefer to spend $2k or less for a VBC 110's. That's what I would consider happy value territory. I could possibly go to a max of $2500 for a suit and experience that hits it out of the ballpark.

Styles - I like a basic, modern 2-piece. I'm picky about shoulders. I wouldn't want the "wrinkly" shoulder style and I would want a custom lapel.

Relationship - If I'm delighted with the quality then I could see myself potentially buying 2 pants and 2 jackets per year
First of all I would say sorry for posting just a list.

According to your needs I suggest to go in Naples and look for Eduardo De Simone (around 1.6k €) or Ettore De Cesare (around 1.8k €) or Sartoria Carfora. For the last one I don't remember the price, but according to me it is the most skilled young tailor in italy right now. He is on instagram also (with few posts) so you can easily contact him. My tailor is Eduardo De Simone, I'm biased, but it's now 4 years that I make suits and trousers through him. Clearly the fit (as the relationship with Eduardo) has improved a lot order to order.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
+1 for just going straight to Naples. Eduardo de Simone is really great value, and quality is second to none. If you find a local to guide you there are a LOT of small tailoring shops around the town (and just outside it) that offer great bespoke at great prices.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is good context. There are a few options, some of which others mentioned. Panico is going to be well over your budget (~3500 euros IIRC), and he only speaks Italian.

A lot of Neapolitan tailors will default to having some shirring on the shoulders, but I know plenty will give a bit more structured shoulder if you ask. Names to consider: Ciro Zizolfi (now comes to NYC), Ciardi (over your budget), Fabio Sodano (outside Napoli but will send a driver to come get you and travels all around Europe).

Given that it sounds like you like something a touch more structured, sticking in the north isn't a bad idea, but it's more expensive.

Also, remember that the prices you see on Sartorial Trips or Permanent Style include VAT.

cpercon

Reaction score
What is the best style for a body type with wide straight (not declining) shoulders and wide chest circumfirence?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before you begin your Italian sartorial adventure I suggest viewing
the video "O Mast" about Neapolitan tailoring and tailors:

o mast

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before you begin your Italian sartorial adventure I suggest viewing
the video "O Mast" about Neapolitan tailoring and tailors:

o mast

a few years ago the full film was available on YouTube but it’s since been taken down. I’m sure it was for legal reasons. Great film! Even greater characters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads