• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Opening Line of a Movie Ever

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
+1, and not just because it was made (written, produced, directed) by a high school & college buddy of mine.
Can you confirm the true inspiration for Buddy Ackerman?

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't recall the line, but the opening of "Sexual Perversity in Chicago" (aka "About Last Night...") might be in the top 10.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Can you confirm the true inspiration for Buddy Ackerman?

I knew once, but forget the name. I don't really follow Hollywood stuff. I know that George had worked at Lucasfilm and Paramount, among others.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So many classics: +1 on Goodfellas, Trainspotting, Fear and Loathing, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket and American Beauty - awesome opening lines.

I'd also add a couple of personal favorites: "When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house I had only 2 things on my mind Paul Newman and a ride home" even though it's really the opening line from the novel on which the movie is based.

"The key to faking out the parents is the clammy hands. It's a good non-specific symptom; I'm a big believer in it. A lot of people will tell you that a good phony fever is a dead lock, but, uh... you get a nervous mother, you could wind up in a doctor's office. That's worse than school. You fake a stomach cramp, and when you're bent over, moaning and wailing, you lick your palms. It's a little childish and stupid, but then, so is high school...Incredible! One of the worst performances of my career and they never doubted it for a second."

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
A way out west there was a fella, fella I want to tell you about, fella by the name of Jeff Lebowski. At least, that was the handle his lovin' parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. This Lebowski, he called himself the Dude. Now, Dude, that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then, there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. And a lot about where he lived, like- wise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place s'durned innarestin'.

They call Los Angeles the City of Angels. I didn't find it to be that exactly, but I'll allow as there are some nice folks there. 'Course, I can't say I seen London, and I never been to France, and I ain't never seen no queen in her damn undies as the fella says. But I'll tell you what, after seeing Los Angeles and thisahere story I'm about to unfold-- wal, I guess I seen somethin' ever' bit as stupefyin' as ya'd see in any a those other places, and in English too, so I can die with a smile on my face without feelin' like the good Lord ripped off me.

Now this story I'm about to unfold took place back in the early nineties -- just about the time of our conflict with Sad'm and the Eye-rackies. I only mention it 'cause some- times there's a man -- I won't say a hero, 'cause what's a hero?--but sometimes there's a man -- And I'm talkin' about the Dude here -- sometimes there's a man who, wal, he's the man for his time'n place, he fits right in there -- and that's the Dude, in Los Angeles.

...and even if he's a lazy man, and the Dude was certainly that--quite possibly the laziest in Los Angeles County. ...which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide--but sometimes there's a man... sometimes there's a man....

Not a line, but as opening monologues, a favourite.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"My name is Turkish. Funny name for an Englishman, I know. My parents to be were on the same plane when it crashed. That's how they met. They named me after the name of the plane. Not many people are named after a plane crash. That's Tommy. He tells people he was named after a gun, but I know he was really named after a famous 19th century ballet dancer."

""The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug"

"I was Sheriff of this county when I was 25 years old. Hard to believe."

“I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me. Years ago we had the church. That was only a way of saying - we had each other. The Knights of Columbus were real head-breakers; true guineas. They took over their piece of the city. Twenty years after an Irishman couldn't get a f--king job, we had the presidency. May he rest in peace. That's what the n-----s don't realize. If I got one thing against the black chappies, it's this - no one gives it to you. You have to take it.”

”Way out west there was this fella I wanna tell ya about. Goes by the name of Jeff Lebowski. At least that was the handle his loving parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. See, this Lebowski, he called himself ‘The Dude.’”

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I added a poal - No offense to Trainspotting or American Beauty, but I kept it to the 1 sentence or less crowd..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads