• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best off-the-rack suits

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Oxxford---however they are essential sack suits other than the Radcliff.
No silo.

More hyperbole. It's become your hallmark.

Tuerney1

Reaction score
A
Kiton--- Average Silo.Great Fabrics. Too Expensive and Overpriced

laugh.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
More hyperbole. It's become your hallmark.

--- You'll get over your misperception.
sly.gif
This comes from a guy who defends Gibson's Steakhouse. Its (hyperbole) become your hallmark.
wink.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tuerney1
laugh.gif

--- I hope you caught the joke (Kiton's wicked and exorbitant pricing) of emphasis versus trying to assume I used a redundant double adjective. Kiton's branding success however is somewhat justified. Unlike other consumer products that are all marketing and branding but no substance.

horton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
I love Belvest suits because they have no name recognition and can be had under 800.

I agree. Belvest is a great suit (or sports jacket) that never seems to get the respect it deserves.

Kiton, Isaia, Zegna, Luciano Barbera are also all great at different price points etc.

Of course, "best" will be seriously influenced by preference of silhouette

edit: I should have included Borrelli as well. (no experience with Attolini)

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
I agree. Belvest is a great suit (or sports jacket) that never seems to get the respect it deserves.

Kiton, Isaia, Zegna, Luciano Barbera are also all great at different price points etc.

Of course, "best" will be seriously influenced by preference of silhouette

--- I hear great things, but have no experience with them other than a nice hanger. So I can't say.

I agree though that the "silo" silhouette is a major factor in deciding which you like along with your physical build, then materials, construction, proper fit and pricing are all equally important. I've seen poor material yet perfectly fitted garments that look horrid.

neyus

Reaction score
Brioni
Kiton
Oxxford
Borrelli
St Andrews

Cantarelli
Isaia
Vestimenta
Zegna
Corneliani
Canali
Pal Zileri
Belvest

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus
Brioni
Kiton
Oxxford
Borrelli
St Andrews

Cantarelli
Isaia
Vestimenta
Zegna
Corneliani
Canali
Pal Zileri
Belvest

No Attolini???

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Now that I have tried on more and more suits...

The best RTW suit is without a doubt, Brioni.

abitifatti

Reaction score
Good morning.
beautifull suit is my brothers Ravazzolo. It is very wonderful to touch and to look.
I like Dolce Gabbana. the cutting is very good for me and beautifull suits.
smile.gif

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxxford---however they are essential sack suits other than the Radcliff.

C. Attolini---Great silo.Great Fabrics. Beautiful clothing.Overpriced
Kiton--- Average Silo.Great Fabrics. Too Expensive and Overpriced
Borrelli--- Great sio.Great FAbrics.Best Value of the top tier. The cut is between Attolini and Kiton designed by one of Kiton's tailors.

Brioni--- Power Suit silo.(great for those with non athletic physiques.Great Fab. a little less handiwork.expensive.

L. Barbera
nod[1].gif
Most under Rated Award. Fabrics are top notch.

Isaia--only the top of the line

Bogolio---Great cut, so so fabrics.

Then:

Canali
Zegna
Corneliani

Just my opinion though.

Excellent summary of the situation. I agree with the opinion that Cesare Attolini is the finest RTW suit I have yet seen. I too would agree that Luciano Barbera is grossly underrated. Kiton is the most overrated in my opinion although the construction itself is excellent - it's the fabrics and cut that leave me cold. Also what about suits from J. Press?

The thing is at this price why on earth you would buy RTW rather than go bespoke in the first place? Fit - real fit, not approximation - matters immeasurably more than what label is on the garment. I guess it is all about the cult of labels.

pkincy

Reaction score
We certainly do love "my suit can beat up your suit" threads around here.

I am amazed at how passionately people will tout their favorites.

I suppose that is because we are passionate about the subject.

I have 90% of the above brands (only lacking some of the designer brands mentioned) and clearly think the best value is Samuelsohn, although all the others have their good points as well as some great points.

And none of those mentioned are clearly overrated in my opinion.

Perry

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you guys rank these suit makers?

Sartoria Partenopea and Pal Zileri.
I have only passing experience with Pal Zileri. The white label is generally canvas constructed with a few handfinishing detailing like pick stiching which is actually done by machine IIRC. Cuts and fabrics are generally more contemporary than other traditional houses--think of PZ white label pieces as well constructed fashion pieces.

Sartoria Patenopea appears to be a younger brand. Once again, construction is fully canvassed with handfinishing details. There is more attention to the execution of the suit than PZ. I've found that the silhouette favors the generic continental European look a la Zegna, more than the "lightweight" aesthetic of the Neopolitans. I would rate SP as slightly better than Zegna mainline at a similar retail price (1.8-2k).

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My best off the rack experience by far has been Isaia. Very light canvassing, natural shoulders, slim silhouette, hand-stitching, high armholes, etc.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris "Italia"
No Attolini???

Attolini is represented by Borrelli, whose suits are made by Attolini.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads