• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best novels about loss, regret

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find this particular genre of fiction fascinating and emotionally draining (which is what literature at its best often is). I'd like suggestions please. Two I've read this summer that fit this mold are Andre Aciman's Call Me By Your Name and Per Petterson's Out Stealing Horses. The former is beautiful, haunting, tragic, heartfelt; the latter is a quieter book and not as powerful, but worth a read nonetheless.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

Yukio Mishima, the Sea of Fertility tetralogy (beginning with Spring Snow)

Exquisite, revelatory, and exhausting, those should occupy you for a good long while.

w.mj

Reaction score
Doctor Faustus by Thomas Mann

"...to thy poor soul, my friend, my Fatherland!"

The best work from one of the century's greatest writers. Spiritual destruction, national pathos, and ultimate salvation all rolled into a Nietzschean bundle of postmodernity. If you've neither read a single piece of philosophy nor learned an iota of history, the character of Zeitblom alone makes the novel among the finest written. But if you have studied those things...

Get the John Woods translation as the H.T. Porter-Lowe is rather poor.

A small confession: if the title of this thread had been simply "Best Novels," my answer would have been the same.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just finished Everyman, by Philip Roth, which was pretty good. But the first thing I thought of when I saw your thread title was Brideshead Revisted, by Evelyn Waugh. Atonement, by Ian McEwan, is also excellent.

Originally Posted by King Francis
Yukio Mishima, the Sea of Fertility tetralogy (beginning with Spring Snow)

+1

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Flaubert "Sentimental Education"

Bronte "Wuthering Heights"

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skip the novels and read the short stories of Raymond Carver and Andre Dubus.

zupermaus

Reaction score
Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto - a young woman contemplates love, life and death after the death of her boyfriend in a car accident.

the Diving Bell and the Butterfly, a book written by a paralysed stroke victim whose nurse found he could communicate through his eyeblinks (Jean-Michel Bauby).

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember reading Flowers for Algernon as a kid. Different kind of 'loss.'

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Where the Red Fern Grows
frown.gif

+100. I was trying to remember this one for the life of me, but couldn't think of the title.

w.mj

Reaction score
I think it's pretty funny that among responses including Tolstoy, Proust, and McEwan, the answer that received the first affirmation was "Where the Red Fern Grows."

I realize that must sound condescending, but I only mean that it's interesting how things read early in life are often more profound than things read later. That tendency also makes more important things like school curriculum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads