• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best novels about loss, regret

thefriar

Reaction score
'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly' by Jean Dominique Bauby.

Jenaimarr

Reaction score
Old Yeller - Fred Gipson

This book absolutely destroyed me when I was in elementary school. I don't think I ever fully recovered from it.

crease

Reaction score
Great Expectations.

Enough said. Game over. Best book about loss and regret.

crease

Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
Steppenwolf
+1 Hesse is a very fluid writer, but I wasn`t much of a fan of Siddhartha...which was the first novel of his that I read. That sentiment spilled over when I read Steppenwolf. I enjoyed Narcissus and Siddartha much more than Steppenwolf, but to each his own.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Most interesting books are about loss or regret so one could write in almost any worthwhile piece of literature.

For once, LK is right.

Originally Posted by crease
Great Expectations.

Enough said. Game over. Best book about loss and regret.

Crease, on the other hand... I don't think anything Dickens wrote is the best of anything.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
For once, LK is right. Crease, on the other hand... I don't think anything Dickens wrote is the best of anything.
You don't care for '60s era German automotive monsters, excessively pale makeup and taxidermy?

scenesreplayed

Reaction score
platform by houllebeque is a great novel about loss, not so much regret though. it really examines the culture that we have created and critiques it nicely.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Flame away, but ... The Lord of the Rings about winning a war and yet losing an entire civilization.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
+1 on Great Gatsby, LotR, and Wuthering Heights. I suppose we could toss in Tess, Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Paradise Lost, most of Steinbeck, Glass Managerie...I think LK was right.

Histrion

Reaction score
To the poster that mentionned Plateforme by Houellebecq, I would say that if you are going to read Houellebecq, you should go for Les particules Ã
00a9.png
00a9.png
mentaires.

American Pastoral by Philip Roth is a great book that certainly deals with loss and regret.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
LK is right in one sense, but not all novels are necessarily ABOUT loss and regret. Most good novels inevitably feature them in some way, but the aforementioned Remains of the Day (and most other Ishiguro novels), for example, is about regret in a way that a book that merely features regret as one of its many topics isn't.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
"The Sun Also Rises." That last sentence ...

That last line kills me every time.

Originally Posted by James Gatz
Samuel Beckett's trilogy (Maloy, Malone Dies, The Unnamable)

Beckett is probably my favorite author. Loss, definitely, but I feel like Beckett's characters, given just how much they lose (those that have anything to begin with), generally have relatively little regret.

I also +1 Mishima, he didn't come to mind at first, but it definitely works.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads