• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best non-iron items?

Kasper

Reaction score
If it's ok, I would like to introduce myself with an inquiry.

I do a lot of traveling for work, the type that keeps me in Holiday Inns not Ritz-Carltons. I don't know if you've been in a budget hotel recently but they don't provide the best irons (always attached to the ironing board with a metal cord). So it's important that I can pack as many non-iron items as possible. The shirts are not so difficult to come by as Brooks Brothers and Jos. Banks offers some nice ones, but what about slacks and suits even?

If anyone has any recommendations for well made non-iron clothing, please post them here.

Thanks in advance,
Kasper

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you using a hanging bag or really fine wools? I've never had a serious problem with trousers or jackets wrinkling when carried in a proper garment bag. When they are a little wrinkled, a quick jerry-rigged bathroom steaming always does the trick.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Are you using a hanging bag or really fine wools? I've never had a serious problem with trousers or jackets wrinkling when carried in a proper garment bag. When they are a little wrinkled, a quick jerry-rigged bathroom steaming always does the trick.

I am not using a hanging garment bag but my wools I wouldn’t consider all that fine. I try to pack everything as neatly as I can in the largest bag allowed as a carry on. Due to my travel schedule I really cannot carry another bag with me, my day is long enough without lugging something else with me to the rental car shuttle, etc.

I have made it a habit of bring my own hanger for the shower steaming, I don’t know if you noticed that many of these budget hotels don’t have hangers you can use outside their closets. More than once I’ve tried to steam something in the shower the night before only to have it fall in the water. What a hassle that is.

I really think non-iron is the way to go.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i always bring a portable garment steamer whenever i travel. its really no big deal, just put water in it, wait a couple of minutes and steam the creases away. much like this:
B0000V0EQ4.01-A1CGG8PD8VKZVT._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
It's just as easy (and doesn't cost any) to lay out your garments and turn the iron facing the ground a few inches from them.
tongue.gif

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kasper
I am not using a hanging garment bag but my wools I wouldn't consider all that fine. I try to pack everything as neatly as I can in the largest bag allowed as a carry on. Due to my travel schedule I really cannot carry another bag with me, my day is long enough without lugging something else with me to the rental car shuttle, etc.

I have made it a habit of bring my own hanger for the shower steaming, I don't know if you noticed that many of these budget hotels don't have hangers you can use outside their closets. More than once I've tried to steam something in the shower the night before only to have it fall in the water. What a hassle that is.

I really think non-iron is the way to go.

I have pretty good luck with a garmet bag. If you are folding coats and trousers into a carry on, I would imagine you would have problems with wrinkles.

I read once that wrinkles are caused by the friction of two pieces of fabric rubbing together. I wrap all of my suits in thin plastic dry cleaning bags to keep them from bunching up in my garmet bag.

You may want to look into some of the travel fabrics. My made to measure place has 100% wool that purport to be wrinkle resistant, and wool/poly blends that are suppposed to be made for travelling.

Bic

stach

Reaction score
You can cheaply buy a flat metal hook that doesn't weigh very much. They fit over the door top. I generally find that there's some place to hang the garment other than the shower rod.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Bic: If you get non-iron, it should be 100% wool for suits and 100% cotton for shirts. Polyester blends never quite look, feel, or breathe right. Not to mention, they seem very low class.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What exactly do you mean by a garment bag? Is it just a bag that can hang a suit that you can fold in half or in thirds? I have what I believe to be a garment bag attachment in my rolling luggage, is that the same thing?

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
What exactly do you mean by a garment bag? Is it just a bag that can hang a suit that you can fold in half or in thirds? I have what I believe to be a garment bag attachment in my rolling luggage, is that the same thing?

Kent,

A true garment bag looks like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Leather-Ghur...QQcmdZViewItem
It combines a bit of space for shirts, etc (the outer pocket) with a large centrla compartment designed to hang suits.

I have a garment bag insert for my rolling luggage as well - it takes up a ton of space and doesn't seem to help much.

I haven't ever bothered to cover my suits with plastic before storing them, but am sure that it would help to do so.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
I have a garment bag insert for my rolling luggage as well - it takes up a ton of space and doesn't seem to help much.
This is what I have. The large bag attached to the lid:
tg_34011X_sol_a08.jpg
Is that the same thing you have in your luggage? It seems like it would be only slightly less effective than the Ghurka garment bag, just a bit smaller.

Kasper

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies but they don't quite solve my problem. I should look into getting a garment bag, but do you think I would be allowed to carry a normal sized one and a small duffle bag on the plane? When I am on the road, it's usually for a long stretch and I often end up washing my clothes at a laundry mat. I don't have the time or money to use a profession laundry service so this means that my shirts have to be non-iron, as I don't want the hassle of fighting with the iron in the hotel. Does anyone know of some good shirts other than Brooks Brothers or Jos. Banks that are wrinkle resistent?

I have a couple pairs of pants by Stafford which I notice have a small amount of polyester in them. I never really had a problem with this until I read some of the replies on this thread. What is a better alternative to these if any?

Dapper Dandy

Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt also makes non-iron shirts, although I don't think they come out looking as pressed as Brooks' shirts do. Nordstroms has a SmartCare line of dress shirts that supposedly don't need ironing, although I haven't tried them. FWIW, the best non-iron shirt I own is a Brooks Brothers non-iron slim fit.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dapper Dandy
Charles Tyrwhitt also makes non-iron shirts, although I don't think they come out looking as pressed as Brooks' shirts do. Nordstroms has a SmartCare line of dress shirts that supposedly don't need ironing, although I haven't tried them. FWIW, the best non-iron shirt I own is a Brooks Brothers non-iron slim fit.

I will look at the Charles Tywhitt website, I remember seeing them mentioned here. While I am very happy with my Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts but I thought maybe something even better existed, or at least a little different looking.

Do you have any non-iron pants?

Dapper Dandy

Reaction score
Non-iron khakis can be found pretty much anywhere, but I don't know about non-iron dress pants. I don't think I've ever seen any.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads