1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best navy blue blazer for $250 or less?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by styletert, Dec 7, 2012.

1. styletert

styletert Member

I'm looking to buy my first blazer. I would be wearing it casually with khakis or possibly jeans more often than with dress pants.

I was thinking of buying the Jos. A Banks Signature model for $238:
    http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_357191

although that has gold buttons. I would want to change those to something less flashy and that would add to the expense. Also I was considering the Traveler tailored fit:
    http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_357155

I would almost consider the Signature Gold model for $330 but with alterations it would be too much for me.

Are there any others that you would recommend in the $250 or under price range?

2. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

Buy something off ebay or B&S and have it tailored.

3. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

I have two navy blazers that were under $250 each. One was from Wizard of Ahs (formerly and ebay seller now has his own web site) and the other was a HSM Gold Trumper on clearance sale at Dillards. I'd peg them as equal in quality of materials and construction. The Wiz has brass buttons and the HSM has pewter. A little tailoring and they fit great.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  4. fashionnoob

fashionnoob Senior member

Go to yoox.com and find a Corneliani blazer. I picked up the one I have off there last year for around that price in a year-round weight. Full-canvassed, pick-stitching, etc. Looks great.

5. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

All the recommendations above are for people who know what they're doing AND don't want to pay a lot. At $250, the OP should going to be to somewhere like BR or Jcrew where he can try it on.

6. styletert

styletert Member

Is there anything better than the Jos A Banks, that's easy to find without hunting on eBay, classifieds, or rare sales?

7. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

See the post right above yours by Liquidus.

8. GeorgeCostanza

GeorgeCostanza Member

J Crew Ludlows run ~$425

9. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Did you actually look at their website?

Here's the Ludlow blazer for $388. They also seem to have a 30% off sale.

10. styletert

styletert Member

The J Crew Ludlow looks like it might be too narrow in the midsection for me.

11. GeorgeCostanza

GeorgeCostanza Member

12. ironduke

ironduke Senior member

I would not necessarily believe that picture is the really the fit of Jcrew.

13. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Check outlets. I found a solid navy Polo (Made in Italy) SC for 298 at a recent sale (down from $1500).

C21 also had solid navy blazers by Altea for 299; I think they're half canvassed.

14. styletert

styletert Member

I went to a J Crew store and tried on the Ludlow suit jackets since they didn't have the blazer. They seemed to fit well, with just enough room in the midsection. Which is higher quality (construction, longevity etc) between the Jos A Banks (I'd probably go with the Traveler tailored fit) or the J Crew?

15. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Have you tried on the JAB blazer?

Pick the one that fits you better.