• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best MyTailor Fabrics for Casual Oxford Button-Downs?

evpj2L

Reaction score
I'm meeting with Joe at MyTailor in May to have some shirts done. For my more formal spread collar shirts, I'm going with Thomas Mason 100's Poplins. I'd like to also make some casual OCBD's. Which of their oxford fabrics would make a good oxford shirt with a button-down collar?

Are the pinpoint oxford Thomas Mason fabrics shown on the website made of finer pinpoint than a standard oxford fabric, so they would be too fine for a casual oxford? And the executive collection appears to only have pinpoint and royal oxford (too formal)? I guess I'm looking for something on par with a Black Fleece OCBD.

DandySF

Reaction score
Joe has made several BDs for me, but no OCBDs. Be certain to request the very lightest lining and no fusing. I met with him yesterday and asked that the collar buttonhole be placed closer to the tip of the collar point, as Brooks Brothers does.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF
Be certain to request the very lightest lining and no fusing.

+1
teacha.gif

Cos apparently "soft collar" means line my collar with sheet metal...

evpj2L

Reaction score
Be certain to request the very lightest lining and no fusing.

Can you explain what you mean by those two things? Are both items with regards to the collar? Are the default settings completely inappropriate for a shirt with a button-down collar?

I met with him yesterday and asked that the collar buttonhole be placed closer to the tip of the collar point, as Brooks Brothers does.

Is this what affects the "roll" of the collar? What is it about their default that you dislike?

evpj2L

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
+1
teacha.gif

Cos apparently "soft collar" means line my collar with sheet metal...

Are a lightly lined collar/no fusing details only to request for shirts with a button-down collar? For spread collar shirts, should I stick with the default amount of lining/fusing?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use MyTailor for many of my shirts. I think their Thomas Mason fabrics are a great value. Howevere, I avoid them for OCBDs. I just haven't been as pleased with the results as I have been by using the Brooks Brothers custom program.

DandySF

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the lining and fusing selections generally apply to both the collar and the cuffs. Heavy lining and fusing make the cuffs and collar stiff and uncomfortable.

evpj2L

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the lining and fusing selections generally apply to both the collar and the cuffs. Heavy lining and fusing make the cuffs and collar stiff and uncomfortable.

So would you request light lining/no fusing on all the shirts (including formal spread collar ones)?

DandySF

Reaction score
Joe deals with a number of SF members, some of whom are quite particular in their specifications. I think if you engage him in a conversation he can meet your needs. He's quite adaptable when you tell him what you're after.

evpj2L

Reaction score
Joe deals with a number of SF members, some of whom are quite particular in their specifications. I think if you engage him in a conversation he can meet your needs. He's quite adaptable when you tell him what you're after.

Good to know, thanks. I guess what I was getting at was whether one should always strive for light lining/no fusing on a button-down collar (or whether that's a personal preference), and whether a normal spread collar by its nature is better suited for more lining/fusing?

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evpj2L
Good to know, thanks. I guess what I was getting at was whether one should always strive for light lining/no fusing on a button-down collar (or whether that's a personal preference), and whether a normal spread collar by its nature is better suited for more lining/fusing?

I get all my spreadish-collared (#4 collar) shirts from Mytailor with the medium unfused interlining. The medium is perfect for a spread collar to be worn with a tie. It has enough body for the collar to keep its shape, but isn't cardboard stiff. I've tried the "light" interlining and found it too light for normal collars. It would probably be perfect for a soft button-down collar though.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ask Joe. I would use MyTailor much more if Joe traveled in my area. Joe is teh awesumz. The guy that travels to my area only brings the cheap stuff with him and is really more of a salesman than a tailor. I had one fitting with Joe when I was on a trip to California and he was great to work with.

Tell him what you're looking for and he'll find you something great.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Ask Joe. I would use MyTailor much more if Joe traveled in my area. Joe is teh awesumz. The guy that travels to my area only brings the cheap stuff with him and is really more of a salesman than a tailor. I had one fitting with Joe when I was on a trip to California and he was great to work with.

Tell him what you're looking for and he'll find you something great.

You can ask them to bring the good stuff. I did this and the sales fellow brought the Thomas Mason books the next time he came by.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
You can ask them to bring the good stuff. I did this and the sales fellow brought the Thomas Mason books the next time he came by.

I have. He forgot or whatever and I got there and then started telling me the stuff he had was better anyway
rolleyes.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads