• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best/Must See Stores in Tokyo and the rest of Japan

jkester

Reaction score
Hey, first time poster -- great site. I'm heading to Japan again in august and want some recommendations. I didn't know whether to put this in clothing or streetwear, but I'm looking for anything great -- everything from jeans to suits to accessories. Thanks!

-John

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SF. There are a few members that reside in Japan, like myself.
It would help if you could narrow it down a bit. What kind of price ranges and brands are you interested in? There are so many good shopping places that it is hard to list them all.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Slim posted pics of some amazing looking crap-piled-everywhere store....let me try to find it..... edit: got it
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
The greatest store in the entire world Don Quijote is in Shinjuku.
don2.jpg
Six floors of utter chaos piled up to the ceiling. Unbelievable.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are a lot of rather amusing hidden stores in Tokyo. I suggest the Herzog & de Meuron Prada. Really, a lot of the big European brands have huge and interesting flagships in Tokyo. For example the Ralph Lauren is decidely incroguous.

jkester

Reaction score
For formal stuff I love armani, zegna, and brioni clothes.

Otherwise I'm pretty interested in getting a pair or two of some nice japanese denim jeans.

I also need a couple new belts.

I'm probably staying in ginza so i know some stores to go to there. basically i'd like to hear some stores that offer really cool unique items i won't be able to get stateside.

I heard a store called "lift" was good.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to the ISETAN department store in Shinjuku. They have a whole Mens Building with everything...I mean everything...including your Brioni, Zegna, Armani. If you can`t find your stuff there, you probably won`t find it anywhere.

Interested in high end RTW shoes? (they even have order made)

Campanile
CHURCH'S
CROCKETT&JONES
HESCHUNG
SANTONI
STEFANO BI
YANKO
EDWARD GREEN
ENZO BONAFE
MIRO BONORA
PAOLO LATTANZI
ROBERTO UGOLINI
FATTO A MANO DA VASS
SILVANO LATTANZI
Stefano Bemer

And much more.....

How about some nice dress shirts?

Finamore
GUY ROVER
LUIGI BORRELLI
ORIAN
PEGASO
TURNBULL&ASSER

and of course a whole lot more....

And ties to go with the shirts?

BASSI&BASSI
E・MARINELLA (not a bad selection either)
NICKY
SEAWARD&STEARN
STEFANO BIGI
TIE YOUR TIE
TURNBULL&ASSER

or Perhaps you prefer Bespoke:

CIFONELLI
GENTRY FY
HUNTSMAN
LONDONHOUSE (Rubinacci)

In the same area, you will find your Brioni and Zegna stores. If you like Brioni, you might also be interested in the Kiton store which is right next door! All in between you`ll find Borrelli, Cucinelli, Incotex and all that stuff too. On another floor,there have all your designer stores like Gucci, Prada, CD, Dolce, Armani, etc. etc.

You`ll have no problem finding a belt...In addition to all these individual brand stores, they have a bunch of stuff on the first floor like belts, wallets, hats, men`s jewerly, smoke accessories, etc. etc...basically this is the mecca for men`s shopping in Japan.

Otherwise, you could go to Ginza and visit each individual flagship store (which is nice if you like walking for a day)...but with the same selection all under one roof, I strongly recommend the Isetan Men`s Building...basically the Mecca of Men`s shopping in Japan.

Check out this Floor Map...just click on the floors and each section within the floors and you`ll see how much more they have to offer.

http://www.isetan.co.jp/icm2/jsp/sto...ns/map_b1f.jsp

Now I should go claim my $$ for selling the store so much
laugh.gif

jkester

Reaction score
Thanks so much. I may have walked by that store on my last trip. I'm a college student (studying english, history, and japanese) and i only recently got bitten by the fashion bug. at least knowing japanese oughta make it easier to get around than last time. Thanks for the suggestions and keep 'em coming
smile.gif

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you a 'foodie' - leaving tomorrow after a week & I can point you in the right direction?.

Store sales started today (1st - 17th).

Seibu is also worth a look and there is a great luggage (and accessory) purveyor called 'Porter', (by Yoshida) that has re-invented itself. Store in Maranouchi.

If in Ginza, check out 'The Mitsui Garden Hotel'. Great rooms, great views and a happening bar.

Spend a couple of hours walking the streets in Ginza and you will not be disappointed. All of the Flagship stores are there. Likwise Aoyama and Omotosando Hills.

Enjoy.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the typical prices in these stores? Are they about what they are priced in the USA?
The prices are the same or higher in Japan...compared to the U.S...I`m referring to high end stuff.

The upside, is that there is a much better selection of items in Japan in comparison to the U.S. In addition to Kiton, Brioni, Borrelli (which seem to be very popular in the U.S.) you can find Attolini, Isaia, Rubinacci and many other fine brands with ease in Japan.

I have also seen rare items like Anna Matuozzo and Merolla RTW shirts in Japan, which I dont`t think are offered in the U.S.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shopping in Japan is expensive, Tokyo is ludicrously expensive even for local labels. Buy only stuff you can't get back home, I've never bought clothing nor fountain pens (my other 'vice') in Japan during my half a dozen trips there - I usually buy the premier green teas and eat as much sushi as I can :p

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
suspicious-supermarket.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads