• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best multivitamins?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread on this. What do you recommend? My former chiropractor told me that the One-A-Days and similar vitamins were garbage.

mkerr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I didn't see a thread on this. What do you recommend? My former chiropractor told me that the One-A-Days and similar vitamins were garbage.
chiropractors are a font of qualified and legitimate information...
rolleyes.gif
protip: the vast majority of people, given a decent diet, don't need vitamins, nor receive any real benefit from taking them.

meader

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkerr
chiropractors are a font of qualified and legitimate information...
rolleyes.gif
protip: the vast majority of people, given a decent diet, don't need vitamins, nor receive any real benefit from taking them.

Oh yes, only the government approved ways of healing are legit and worthy exist, likewise their recommendations on diet. If you do some readin' from serious and a little more independent sources you might find out that both chiropractors and multi-vitamin/minerals in fact could benefit a majority of the population. Stop being so narrow minded. EDIT: Now Foods Adam is a great multi, very cheap but potent.

PolePosition

Reaction score
Copying my post from the supplement thread to here since it might get answered.

Anyone with consumerlabs.com subscriptions willing to post up the multivitamins that are safe to take? Seems like alot of multivitamins out there either don't have all that they advertise, don't fully breakdown in the body, have extra stuff that are toxic long term, have toxic levels of certain vitamins like Vitamin A, etc. Its hard to sift thru the BS on the internet to find something good to take. I eat fairly healthy but I'm just looking for a nice multivitamin in case I miss something (something that doesnt have a million IU's of each vitamin).

While I do eat fairly healthy I'm sure that I do lack certain vitamins. At least lacking as in not getting 100% of the RDA. Alot of people vouch for vitamins just because they themselves use them but don't really go into all the research about safety, etc. And surely there must be vitamins that are true supplements and not replacements for proper diet.

mkerr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meader
Oh yes, only the government approved ways of healing are legit and worthy exist, likewise their recommendations on diet. If you do some readin' from serious and a little more independent sources you might find out that both chiropractors and multi-vitamin/minerals in fact could benefit a majority of the population. Stop being so narrow minded. EDIT: Now Foods Adam is a great multi, very cheap but potent.
chiropractic is quackery. there is no two ways about it. sure, some of them know their way around a back for MSK problems, but you cannot "cure" diabetes through spinal manipulation. there's a difference between narrow minded and having an open mind yet not lapping up misinformation. it's not about "government approved", it's about credible evidence based health care. "alternative medicine" is really a misnomer, approaches that benefit the patient should be adapted into mainstream medicine. as an example, acupuncture for migraines have proven clinical benefit. may i ask what area of health care you work in?

suzuka

Reaction score
I use the Centrum brand multivitamins from costco

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meader
EDIT: Now Foods Adam is a great multi, very cheap but potent.

I agree. I looked into multivitamins a month or two ago and decided on Now Foods Adam. If you care enough to read more about it, the people in this forum take vitamins seriously, and seem to know what they're talking about.

Basically, besides taking 6+ pills (costing ~$1.50) a day, Now Foods Adam is the next best thing. Two a day, and they contain no iron (which you don't need, unless you're bleeding every month). You can get them for a good price on bodybuilding.com. (Coupon code ComeBack10PerOff gets you a 10% discount).

Also, the one-pill-a-day multis you find in drugstores usually aren't very effective, the reason being that they use really concentrated forms of nutrients that your body doesn't have a chance to absorb before passing them through. Centrum is one example. I think their absorption rate is about 4-5%. Now Foods Adam is in the 20%'s, which still isn't much, considering the best are in the 80% range. But again, you'd have to be taking at least 6 pills a day and paying much more for those.

PolePosition

Reaction score
Wow just spent a good bit reading on that forum you linked to. Talk about information overload when it comes to vitamin/mineral research LOL.

Something I've wondered which really isn't ever fully addressed, is that these vitamin manufacturers seem to work under the assumption that people eat nothing but red meat all day or something, based on the amounts of different vitamins and minerals that are included, which can at least partially be obtained just by eating some fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.

How much of each vitamin does a person who eats at least some of every food group daily, really need?

I've been looking at the AOR Ortho-Core which seems to be very thorough in its research and focuses alot on effective doses and bioavailability but the serving size is 6 capsules. I'm debating whether to try it or not and thinking about just taking 1 or 2 capsules a day since I do eat a somewhat balanced diet.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They say Americans have the most expensive piss in the world.

I don't eat enough fruits and veggies so I take a multi to try and "cover myself" but I don't overthink it.

who8mahrice

Reaction score
I think you need to clarify what the purpose of the vitamin is. Is it just to cover the nutrients you don't get from a "normal diet"? Or is it for the purpose of atheltics? Etc.

I use AST Pro 32x. (I take it after I work out.) I got it recommended to me from a friend who is super concious about his health. *shrug*

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO you're better off with a green superfood than synthetic vitamin tablet. But that's just me and my wackiness.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
IMO you're better off with a green superfood than synthetic vitamin tablet. But that's just me and my wackiness.

What's a green superfood?

Mblova

Reaction score
Nature Made. They make good vita-mins

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads