Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best MTM Suits in Toronto or Ontario

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bespokenIV, Aug 13, 2010.

1. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

I also have experience with 5th on King and have been very happy with their work. Their prices are probably comparable to similar places in Toronto, but they've been very good about insisting everything is perfect before (and after) the garment is delivered.

One update: they've just moved. The shop is now at 26 Wellington and is called Garrison Bespoke.

2. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Heard good things about GotStyle MTM....3 week turnaround apparently.

3. bespokenIV

bespokenIV New Member

Check out Don Lee at Trend Custom Tailors in Toronto. He does high end made to measure/bespoke (he cuts individual patterns for the pants, but not the jackets, while providing multiple fittings) and would fall in your price range depending on fabric.

He also makes bespoke shirts, and does quite a bit of wedding attire, all of it very nice from what I have seen.

Thanks for recommendation. I had a bad experience with him in the past where he did no work and charged me for alternations. I think he has a good rep so it is too bad that experience ruined all future business for him

4. bespokenIV

bespokenIV New Member

I would suggest checking out 5th on King (Sprezzatura) at King and Yonge. Their MTM suits start at around 900 and go up from there depending on the cloth chosen. The following post by another Style Forum member echoes my experience with them (including the list of pros and cons) -

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...46&postcount=6.

I had a 2 piece, 2 button suit made with Holland & Sherry 14 oz cloth that I am very happy with. They also provide free alternations for 2 years.

This other link also provides some suggestions for MTM in Toronto - http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=108258

Hopes this helps and good luck.

J.

Thank you! I will take a look

5. bespokenIV

bespokenIV New Member

There are bespoke suit makers in Toronto. There are bespoke shoe makers in Toronto.

If you want custom shirts, Marlon Durrant does a great bespoke shirt. And I mean bespoke - separate pattern made for each customer.

Xavier custom tailor does full bespoke suits as well. Again, a unique pattern is drafted for each customer.

What exactly do you think makes a good suit? And do you think that your budget is reasonable for what you consider to be a good suit?

If you're looking for a Ferrari at Ford prices, you are wasting your time. Regardless of whether you're in Toronto, NY, Napoli, or HKG, you get what you pay for.

I know the industry well enough to know what I would get for these dollars. I don't expect bespoke or the best material but MTM should work within these dollars. I would suggest you read my comments before suggesting confusing the discussion. Bespoke was never mentioned in the posting. Cheers

6. tittle

tittle New Member

After a fair bit of research I decided on using Don Lee of Trend Custom Tailors to make me a MTM/Bespoke suit. (I had already tried 3 other tailors for MTM suits with ok results) I would think that he tends to be on the bespoke side then the MTM.

After 5-6 weeks and 3 fittings I received my suit and I was very pleased with the overall quality, fit and design of the suit. During the process Don listened to my input on design - I will say that Don does have some crazy style suggestions that I did have to tame down. I also used him for the custom shirts which I can say are terrific value for the money.

I spent about 1300 for the suit and 175 for the shirts (must by 3 or more). Overall I am pleased with the experience and having everything produced in house added to the quality.

7. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I'd like to see pics too...

9. Albern

Albern Senior member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn
    For true bespoke shirts, I believe Stavros will do the trick. I don't remember the prices but the guys look like they know what they're doing.
    Stavros has a price list here - http://www.stavrostailorandshirtmaker.com/pricing.html[/URL. I've asked about Stavros before but I don't think anyone here has tried him out yet (maybe I'll find out for myself soon). Also, a tailor by the name of Ricardo (sp?) has taken over from the other gentleman who was on the east side of Cumberland (can't find the map point Daniel). He was actually working at Stavros before taking over the shop. Prices for MTM and bespoke are comparable to others in the city. I don't have any experience with him but he seems quite competent. You have to know what you want and it certainly helps to be knowledgeable.

10. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

I think for my next suit I'll go to Don Lee. I'd rather tame down the style suggestions than have to constantly try and get the tailor to be stylish. This was the problem I had with Spiros.

I'm interested in Fifth on King too as the cut of their stuff looked excellent and from the reviews they are getting here, but as a customer who was clearly somewhat knowledgable (I just told him I got a suit from Spiros) I'm not sure why he would lie about doing the work onsite. This concerns me a little about their business practices, but then again I hear so many good things... definitely torn here.

11. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

12. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

I spent about 1300 for the suit and 175 for the shirts (must by 3 or more). Overall I am pleased with the experience and having everything produced in house added to the quality.

Were the shirts MTM or Bespoke? And were the fabrics from reputable mills or mystery mills?

I'm interested in Fifth on King too as the cut of their stuff looked excellent and from the reviews they are getting here, but as a customer who was clearly somewhat knowledgable (I just told him I got a suit from Spiros) I'm not sure why he would lie about doing the work onsite. This concerns me a little about their business practices, but then again I hear so many good things... definitely torn here.

Read the first post on this page (#16). It seems they've moved and changed their name to Garrsion Bespoke. Perhaps they've changed their business model as well? If they're really pursuing the bespoke end of the market then it makes sense that it's made on site and now costs quite a bit more.

13. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

Better check this Don Lee suit first

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=184204

Wow, I don't know who to trust in Toronto anymore. Thanks for the link...but man your avatar freaks me out, ha ha, is that from Last Action Hero?

14. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Wow, I don't know who to trust in Toronto anymore. Thanks for the link...but man your avatar freaks me out, ha ha, is that from Last Action Hero?

just thought you should have all the information you could get.
    and yup.

How about Samualsohn MTM through Harry Rosen?
    Maybe I'm wrong but I've always thought that if you are not happy and throw a fit there's a good chance they will eat it.

15. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Member

One of my colleague is introducing me to custom but I have yet to tried. I remembered a few that he had mentioned and said really good things about 5th on King.

He also mentioned the top places he goes to in downtown are House of Salgado and Rego who does an amazing job on custom suits. Its really well made and he was surprise that the prices is not as expensive as he thought. Under $2000 for a really nice custom made suit in the downtown core. He also mentioned there is a place he tried recently called Valencia Bespoke which is located in a downtown office tower apparently.

Personally, I have NOT tried any of those places but I see him everyday day and he looks SHARP!!
    I am building up my wardrobe and he is convincing me to go custom rather than spend all the money on the label. Honestly though... I don't know if I would spend the same price for a custom suit than to get a nice designer label such as Canali, Armani or Zegna. I may seem a bit shallow... but if I am spending $2000 on a suit, I rather have someone know about the brand.