• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best MTM suit in NYC under 1k

newintown23

Reaction score
I have read countless threads on here about the best MTM in NYC area. Most being old, and i wanted to revisit this topic.
What is the overall opinion of people who have purchased recently in the NYC area?

I purchased my first "real" suits if you will from Suit Supply in Soho a few weeks ago, after suggestions from this forum. I will have pics of them up tomorrow. Now after lurking around here for quite sometime, i know that a nice suit is all about fit, construction, and fabric....

Am i better off buying a Canali, BBBF, Hickey Freeman, Oxxford, ect, on ebay for under 1k, now knowing my measurements?
Or am i better off Buying a MTM suit from Mr Ned, My suit, or suit supply?

In my experience, I feel as though you do not get the same quality of fabric in this price range on a MTM suit as if i were to buy one of the above mentioned brand names. Would this be a fair assumption?

I am 5"10, 180 lbs, athletic build... Curious to hear your thoughts.

For what its worth I am a total newbie and I have heard a Mr. Ned suit is very "boxy" cut.. I have a vague idea of what that means.
Not so tailored such as an "armani" type fit if you will? I would prefer a more slim, tailored look. Hope that helps.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have read countless threads on here about the best MTM in NYC area. Most being old, and i wanted to revisit this topic.
What is the overall opinion of people who have purchased recently in the NYC area?

I purchased my first "real" suits if you will from Suit Supply in Soho a few weeks ago, after suggestions from this forum. I will have pics of them up tomorrow. Now after lurking around here for quite sometime, i know that a nice suit is all about fit, construction, and fabric....

Am i better off buying a Canali, BBBF, Hickey Freeman, Oxxford, ect, on ebay for under 1k, now knowing my measurements?
Or am i better off Buying a MTM suit from Mr Ned, My suit, or suit supply?

In my experience, I feel as though you do not get the same quality of fabric in this price range on a MTM suit as if i were to buy one of the above mentioned brand names. Would this be a fair assumption?

I am 5"10, 180 lbs, athletic build... Curious to hear your thoughts.

For what its worth I am a total newbie and I have heard a Mr. Ned suit is very "boxy" cut.. I have a vague idea of what that means.
Not so tailored such as an "armani" type fit if you will? I would prefer a more slim, tailored look. Hope that helps.

dont think for one minute that when you get a m2m garment from a major manufacture that you are getting anything more than a special cut. after the cutting room is finished their work. the cut pieces go through the same assembly line that the stock garments go through.
you get the exact same quality of workmanship as the rack suits get. dont let the store salesman tell you otherwise.

newintown23

Reaction score
Thank you A tailor... I will make note of that... Any more input would be appreciated.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best bang for the buck is probably Suit Supply. From there, it depends on your budget, needs and wishes.

newintown23

Reaction score
Hey guys... Just wanted to update you, that yesterday I ordered a MTM from SS in Soho... It ended up being 900 and change for 110's.
it was around 250 more for the 130s... You think that was a wise decision to stick with the 110s for my first MTM with them?

bluesman528

Reaction score
Do you like the cheaper fabric that you have chosen? Who produced it? Vitale Barberis Canonico? And who made the S130? Perhaps the latter was the better fabric but it can not be determined by its Super number. Finer can mean less durable but this depends on the quality of the producer and the weight of the fabric, too.

BTW, which of the different Suitsupply cuts did you take?

newintown23

Reaction score
I like the fabric. I dont think its cheap by any means, but what caught my eye was the color.
This is what SS had to say... The fabric is from an Italian mill, as all our cloth is: Vitale Barberis Canonico. It is a 9ounce/270gram super 110.

I just liked the softer feel of the other, but i dont think i like it $300 bucks more
fistbump.gif

unclesam099

Reaction score
FWIW, I noticed that all of SuitSupply's suits are "Made in P.R.C." per the labels. I was told that the MTM was made in China as well. I walked out of the store at that point. I do not support Chinese crap, but the suits do look like they fit great. Keep in mind that Brooks Brothers is producing suits and jackets overseas (and most of their products, for that matter). I simply prefer to keep my dollars in the USA when I can.

Your best bet might be to try on some suits of the makes that you listed above at different stores to determine your size for that model and then shop ebay or the forum B&S accordingly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads