Best MTM Sport Coats?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tgod93, Feb 5, 2013.

1. tgod93

tgod93 Senior member

Besides from:

Indochino
    Black Lapel

Are there any other good sites? That are within Indochino/Black Lapel price range?

Sorry if this is a silly question... I am a nooby =D

thanks ahead of time

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

No online is free from problems and you would find Indochino has far more than it should were you to search.

The whole process is best avoided.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Agreed. I'm not sure what the benefit of online MTM is. You are better off getting a RTW suit fitted in real life by a competent alterations tailor.

Some have argued MTM as a whole doesn't make sense and you should either do RTW or true bespoke.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013

4. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

In theory I agree with this, but have you noticed the shrinking range of RTW sizes that are avaiable? While I'm a 37L and therefore a lost cause, it's sometimes hard to even find a 40L.

5. comrade

comrade Senior member

MTM makes sense when one knows that the pattern upon which it is based works in the RTW version
    of the garment. So the MTM product may include different fabrics or details not available in the RTW version.
    In many places there is no true bespoke, just visiting tailors This means that a suit or jacket
    will take up to a year or more.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Do not get an online MTM sport coat. Shirts I understand since trial and error is pretty cheap if you mess up the measurements or something gets lost in translation between you and the company. For any jacket, however, your trial and error process will be more expensive and there are more things that could go wrong. It's also easier to fix a badly fitting shirt than a badly fitting jacket in general. I agree with the suggestion of getting RTW tailored vs. online MTM.

If you are going to do MTM, you really should have someone measure you. Travelling Hong Kong tailors will do this as will brick and mortar MTM places such as Brooks Brothers. It sounds like you might end up spending more than you'd like going this route.

For me, the value in MTM is greater fabric selection vs. RTW, ability to make stylistic choices such as number of buttons, lapel type, etc. and a better fit than RTW when it's done well. It can also be way cheaper than bespoke. I'm not in a position to be spending $4,000 or so on a suit but if I can get a MTM garment for $1,000 or under, that makes a lot more sense.