• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best mp3 player for jogging/sports?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It seems all the mp3 player manufacturers have decided to compete with the 'pod by adding features (like touchscreens and video) that I don't want or need.

All I want is a little 2gb+ flash stick with a real double- or triple-a battery, tactile buttons, and comes with an armband made for it so the buttons are usable while running. They used to be the standard format for players but now it seems they're the exception if made at all.

The closest I've found is this Coby 2gb stick, but at $70 it ain't cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Coby-Sports-Pl.../dp/B000R97XOU (I see it listed cheaper elsewhere, in the more normal $40 range, but nobody appears to actually have it in stock at that price).

Can anybody recommend something similar?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with the new shuffle? It is a rechargeable rather than a AA, but is that really a deal killer?

greasypeanut

Reaction score
or the previous generation one, its stick shaped, and comes with earphones that have the controls on it (sadly lacks buttons on teh actual unit) but its smaller because of that reason.

totenhosen

Reaction score
Not sure if this is any good but it's 2gig and cheap.. I know you said AA or AAA battery but with a USB wall charger why would you go through batteries? http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-.../ref=pd_cp_e_3 The 4gig is 10 bucks more - for that price you could probably tape it to your body or find somewhere to stash it, I've duck taped my mp3 player to my chest/top-of-breast before (find it's the least sweaty/least bounce place). Press the button through whatever it's in (at least that works with my similarly designed ipod nano). Good luck

Glueeater

Reaction score
People make electronics powered by double and triple A's still?

Really?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I appreciate the input everyone...

My reason for batteries is because if I don't religiously remember to recharge the unit then I'm screwed. With batteries, I can keep a pack of low-discharge ones full and rotate them and I'm never at a point where I can't just pop in a new battery and go. I'll also add that quality LD aa/aaa batteries (eneloop) and a decent recharger (MAHA) beats any built-in lion over time.

For the few low-end consumer rechargeable items that I have had (first gen ipod and nano comes to mind), their batteries degraded over time - especially with rigorous daily use - they rarely last past a year. I suspect this is part of the manufacturer's design in that they expect you to toss it in a year and buy a new model anyway.

re: shuffle - I've never even considered it given that my original ipod and nano's inputs (the circular thingie) were impossible for manipulating while running/etc. Units with tactile buttons/thumbsticks are much, much better on the go.

re: sansa click - minus no-battery knock, it looks like a winner. But once I OK no battery, I suspect I need to go back and look the whole field over again (sigh).

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
re: shuffle - I've never even considered it given that my original ipod and nano's inputs (the circular thingie) were impossible for manipulating while running/etc. Units with tactile buttons/thumbsticks are much, much better on the go.

the shuffle doesn't have the touch-sensitive volume thing around the dial. it's buttons only. just buy it. i use those bicep bands which football players (or posers) wear, either ua or nike. it clips perfectly around the bicep band and stays out of your way. just beware of headphones with a too long cord.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I run a ton and have used all sorts of devices, from Apple to blackberry, lol. I love my sansa clip. They can be had very cheaply and take tons of abuse. With a nifty clip so I don't need to bother with an armband, which I detest. It does.however, need to be recharged. Who uses aaa batteries anymore? Sansa has easily a 20 Jr battery life. I've gone a couple of.weeks without recharging before.

dacia1300

Reaction score
yea the new sansa clips with the micro sd card slot are the way to go, you can get up to 42gb (8gb + 32gb card) of storage in a very small mp3 player for under $190.

TheD0n

Reaction score
My 5th gen iPod Nano is perfect for running.

steveoly

Reaction score
I can't speak for the newest shuffle, but I had the previous version (small rectangle) and it sucks for working out or jogging. It's a known issue, but the remote control is located on the headphone cable and it ALWAYS conks out after about 45 minutes or so normally due to sweat or moisture. Apple will replace the defective headphones for free, but you will constantly be returning them or searching for a headphone alternative.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sansa clip, seriously it's probably the best in the market.

OakCreekHitter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by steveoly
I can't speak for the newest shuffle, but I had the previous version (small rectangle) and it sucks for working out or jogging. It's a known issue, but the remote control is located on the headphone cable and it ALWAYS conks out after about 45 minutes or so normally due to sweat or moisture. Apple will replace the defective headphones for free, but you will constantly be returning them or searching for a headphone alternative.

The best ipod shuffle for running/working-out is the version before your small rectangle one.....shape is almost a square. All the controls are located on the ipod shuffle itself than on the headphone cables. SO this way you are also able to upgrade the headphones to a Bang & Olfusen ones or other better earplugs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads