• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best (Most Correctly Rated) Restaurants in LA

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is Angelini Osteria still good? I used to go there at least once when I'd be in LA.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sadly, it's not what it used to be. though it has probably held up better than gino's other place, la terza. and, of course, it's still pretty good. i've been hearing great things lately about Vincenti in Brentwood. And one place that has been up and down but mostly (and again) up is Valentino. he's got a sardinian chef now who is supposed to be very good.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
You mean Little Tokyo. Closest big Japantown is about 380 miles north.

yup.

sunamluang for Thai Yen ta fo noodle soup.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
toshi's good. it used to be sushi imai until a couple of years ago and imai was one of the first two sushi chefs in los angeles (and therefore, with no documentation, the us).

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to be a regular at Tama Sushi but it closed last year. I know they opened up a location in Beverly hills but its the same sushi for 2 to 3 times the money. I couldn't justify it.

Been looking for the same type and haven't found one yet.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Is Angelini Osteria still good? I used to go there at least once when I'd be in LA.
I had a very disappointing meal there about a year ago. The room and the service were terrible - the food wasn't memorable either, thought that was almost an afterthought. Nobody has mentioned Jitlada Thai? It kinda suffers from the post-Jonathan Gold-hype with the crowds, but every meal I've had there has been excellent. I hadn't heard of Rivera until foodguy mentioned it in the other thread. I'll have to give it a try.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djblisk
I used to be a regular at Tama Sushi but it closed last year. I know they opened up a location in Beverly hills but its the same sushi for 2 to 3 times the money. I couldn't justify it.

Katsu Sushi in BH is gone as of a few months ago. I don't know if Michite plans to find another location, go work for someone else, or retire. The market has changed a lot since his heyday when he was at the original Katsu on Vermont. There are more customers who expect "fusion rolls" and Americanized items, and at the same time, more places that cater to traditionalists. Even though he has some loyal customers, I don't know if he'd want to open a new place in this market.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
sadly, it's not what it used to be. though it has probably held up better than gino's other place, la terza. and, of course, it's still pretty good. i've been hearing great things lately about Vincenti in Brentwood. And one place that has been up and down but mostly (and again) up is Valentino. he's got a sardinian chef now who is supposed to be very good.

Originally Posted by Baron
I had a very disappointing meal there about a year ago. The room and the service were terrible - the food wasn't memorable either, thought that was almost an afterthought.

Nobody has mentioned Jitlada Thai? It kinda suffers from the post-Jonathan Gold-hype with the crowds, but every meal I've had there has been excellent.

I hadn't heard of Rivera until foodguy mentioned it in the other thread. I'll have to give it a try.

That's too bad. It was awfully good at one point, which I am sure you both know.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
Katsu Sushi in BH is gone as of a few months ago. I don't know if Michite plans to find another location, go work for someone else, or retire. The market has changed a lot since his heyday when he was at the original Katsu on Vermont. There are more customers who expect "fusion rolls" and Americanized items, and at the same time, more places that cater to traditionalists. Even though he has some loyal customers, I don't know if he'd want to open a new place in this market.

Really? I really liked Tama and the bar was always busy. Maybe he just needs to tighten his space and have just a bar? Well hopefully he does something. If you find out, let me know. I'm one of those loyal customers since his days at Katsu in Vermont with the side art gallery. Just terrific.

Any sushi recs similar to Tama in taste and style?

bwong337

Reaction score
+1 Bay Cities. Best sandwiches in Santa Monica
-1 Tito's Tacos. I don't know what the big deal is with this place.

Not the best, but C&O's on Venice is pretty decent for cheap

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for pho?

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Any recommendations for pho?

In South El Monte on Garvey there's like 10 places, most good. I like Pho Minh myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads