• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best modern jazz artists

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By modern, I mean young/"up and coming" folks. Michael Brecker was phenomenal. Too soon gone
frown.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Buckethead

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jazz is dead, I am sorry to report.

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
I don't jazz like that but I can't stop listening to Portico Quartet - Knee Deep.......

Let me know if you are interested.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roy Hargrove was the first jazz album I bought, something like 12 years ago. Fantastic artist.

I'll think up a list.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you heard his latest, Earsoft or something like that? It's great.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you heard his latest, Earsoft or something like that? It's great.

rsgould

Reaction score
+1 to Portico Quartet.

Newest E.S.T. record is excellent. Unfortunately, Esbjörn Svensson died this year--another unfortunate and tragic loss. The record was released posthumously I believe.

In iPod order, here are some current favorites of mine:

-Benevento Russo Duo
-Brad Mehldau
-Chris Potter
-Christian Wallmrod Ensemble
-Flat Earth Societ
-Happy Apple
-Neil Cowley Trio
-Robert Glasper
-Sam Yahel Trio
-Tim Collins
-Vijay Iyer

If you like Brecker, try Chris Potter if you haven't already.

Modernist

Reaction score
Straight from Helsinki, The Five Corners Quintet and the whole Ricki Tick Records collective. Teppo Makynen is considered one of the best modern jazz drummers, and the whole band is hot. They have released two LPs, and four EPs (LPs both in CD and vinyl format, EPs only in vinyl). Mark Murphy is collaborating in both their LPs. Their sound is reminiscent of Prestige and Impulse, and they combine amazing improvisational skills with a groovy beat, just like Art Blakey meant it to be. Also check out the solo albums of Timo Lassy (sax) and Jukka Eskola (trumpet). And their live gigs are simply electrifying.

The latest album of Nicola Conte ("Rituals") is amazing. More atmospheric, and it contains a killer version of Caravan.

The Hi-Fly Orchestra from Germany are also worth a listen.

Modernist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rsgould
+1 to Portico Quartet. Newest E.S.T. record is excellent. Unfortunately, Esbjörn Svensson died this year--another unfortunate and tragic loss. The record was released posthumously I believe.
Great suggestions both. Oh, and I almost forgot. Medenski, Martin & Wood are simply amazing. A hammond trio (hammond organ, bass and drums), they are really pushing the sound of the hammond combo. Some of their albums are more free-jazz, some funkier, all great.

rsgould

Reaction score
Speaking of jazz drummers--ain't none better right now than Brian Blade. Not sure if he counts as up-and-coming anymore though...

RedScarf7

Reaction score
I really like listening to Kneebody. "Low Electrical Worker" is a good place to start with them.

"Dr. Beauchef, Penguin Dentist" is a wicked song, imo.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rsgould
Speaking of jazz drummers--ain't none better right now than Brian Blade. Not sure if he counts as up-and-coming anymore though...

I started playing the drums after seeing/hearing Brian Blade four years back. He is unbelievable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads