• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Mid-Range Suit? JAB Sig Gold? Jack Victor?

Reaction score
Please name your favorite mid-range suit.

My interest is in a workhouse suit that is durable, and a good value. Stylistically, something with "power suit" characteristics - structured shoulders and modest waist suppression (within conservative bounds) - would be ideal.

For pricing the suit should be available, discounted, in the $300 to $500 range in a solid staple color (not just the discounted stripes seen all over the web).

Personally, I would wear such a suit mostly for work and online video presentations for my finance related web site.

Two examples I have found are JAB Signature Gold suits and Jack Victor. Both are half canvassed, Super 120's with Bemberg lining. Sig golds can be regularly be purchased for $300-$328 and have structured shoulders with some modest waist suppression (erring on the side of conservative).

Jack Victor can be purchased for below $400 at STP. However, I have not yet personally seen their fit.

What other suit brands fit the bill? What would you recommend?

Thanks for your thoughts.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
Jack Victor is way much better quality than JAB, in addition, it is usually made in a more "shouldered" model.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jack Victor is decent. Half-canvassed at least. William Fox in DC sells them

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TonyThe Tailor
Jack Victor is way much better quality than JAB, in addition, it is usually made in a more "shouldered" model.

Thanks for the thought.

In what way is Jack Victor a better quality suit than a Sig Gold? Both are half canvassed, super 120's. Should they not be similar from a quality stand point? What else should one look at?

R-H

Reaction score
Jack Victor is good 'decent suit'. I have a few and they are good quality.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhere there's a "rank the quality" thread where somebody started a list and each person could only move one thing per turn. It ended up with a very good mid-range list.

I wear Jack Victor pants and absolutely love them for the price (about 80% of the quality and 50% of the price of zanella).

What criteria are we using to define mid-range? Would BB Golden Fleece not be included, or Hickey Freeman?

The Gold Trumpet HSM are priced similarly to JV, I think.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon

What criteria are we using to define mid-range? Would BB Golden Fleece not be included, or Hickey Freeman?

I'm not sure what the criteria is, but BBGF and HF Mainline is a class better than any of the suits discussed here.

Mudhiker

Reaction score
JAB Sig Gold is tolerable if you can buy it at the lowest sale price. That said, the cut and fit is usually rather 1999 and their provided tailoring is almost always rubbish. There can be many options at the $550 price point if you have a fairly average body type and have some time to look around. Brooks Brothers stuff can often be found for about that price, as can many other brands. Definitely factor in the cost of tailoring. It can grow quite rapidly depending on your needs and wants. A $600 OTR suit that pleases you right off might be better than a $400 suit that needs substantial tailoring.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by afuturestrader
Thanks for the thought. In what way is Jack Victor a better quality suit than a Sig Gold? Both are half canvassed, super 120's. Should they not be similar from a quality stand point? What else should one look at?
Doesn't mean its the same quality. Different quality of fabric (not all super 120s are the same), different quality of the trimmings, and most importantly, the factory it is actually made in. What I consider an mid-range suit is one that retails between 500 ~ 600 dollars. That is real retail, not suits that are marked $1000 and sold everyday for $300, those are actually $300 suits. Jack Victor is a legitimate $600 suit, JAB is not. The midrange suit in my shop is S. Cohen, which has a softer shoulder than JV.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liquidus
See this thread.

Thanks for the link, it provides some context.

Where would Jack Victor, JAB Signature Gold and Baroni (mentioned above) fit on this list? "Satisfactory"? "Mediocre"?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All solidly satisfactory. That said, the cut on baroni is really boxy/large. I think you'll find JV has the best style and fabric of the three with similar tailoring.

If you're in NYC, I'd check out the Charles Thyrwitt store. THey do nice looking / full canvass for relatively cheap, but I wouldn't buy without touching and trying on.

cncrd

Reaction score
Given the choice between the OP's original two brands, I'd have Jack Victor without question over anythign JAB.

Not sure where you are, but I occasionally see Hart Shcaffner and Marx suits on sale for less than your target price range... but not sure what their quality is now.

Hickey Freeman can definitely be had on sale for $500-$600 is you're a little bit patient.

020-banker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
All solidly satisfactory. That said, the cut on baroni is really boxy/large. I think you'll find JV has the best style and fabric of the three with similar tailoring.

If you're in NYC, I'd check out the Charles Thyrwitt store. THey do nice looking / full canvass for relatively cheap, but I wouldn't buy without touching and trying on.

CT is full canvas (!)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads