• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best method for transitioning from training wheels to the big time?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Our sons are ready to make the leap to 2 wheels. I'm wrapping a towel/shirt around their waist and running along behind them ('puff, puff') - any other recommended methods for achieving this milestone?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
No personal experience, but my sister just went through this with her son. She did what you did, except she didn't give her kid enough work on his own. Don't be afraid to let your kids fall down and scrape their knees. Don't be afraid to let them get bruised and cry. They have to learn sometime.

Good luck.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No suggestions, but thank you for reminding me that I'm a few years I'll have to do this with two kids at once.

I actually tried with my son this year and had to put the training wheels back on, we decided to wait till next summer. Good luck

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I smashed into some trees, fell down a handful of times, so on and so forth when I was learning to ride a bike. Kids pick it up quickly, pain is a powerful motivator to not mess up.

p.o.t.u.s

Reaction score
Hold the seat, not the kid. Worked for mine. Make sure they wear a helmet. Also, don't do it on a hill. I nearly lost my first thinking the downward slope would be helpful. Wife nearly killed me.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the helmet and holding the seat -- that way you can run along-side and surreptitiously let go once your kid begins to get underway. Keep running alongside him/her (if you can) so you can catch him/her if he/she starts to fall. If they get going so fast you can no longer keep up, just cheer them on because there's ****-all you can do at that point!
laugh.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let him ride on the grass first.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
+1 on the helmet and holding the seat -- that way you can run along-side and surreptitiously let go once your kid begins to get underway. Keep running alongside him/her (if you can) so you can catch him/her if he/she starts to fall. If they get going so fast you can no longer keep up, just cheer them on because there's ****-all you can do at that point!
laugh.gif

As someone who has fully transitioned from training wheels, I endorse this message.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's with the towel thing? Sounds odd. You want the kid to feel he/she did it themselves.

I remember that one of my training wheels broke off and I rode for a few feet before stopping. My father figured it was time (wow, I really remember this well). He took me to our backyard, and there was a slight hill. He gave me a push down the hill and all was well (the hill helps build up the necessary speed). I also seem to remember him hanging my bike from the clothesline, spinning the wheel, and explaining gyroscopic stabilization, which is something I would appreciate.

~ Huntsman

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No suggestions but your post made me think of this great quote:

"Come to the edge, he said.
They said: We are afraid.
Come to the edge, he said.
They came.
He pushed them and they flew."

andyw

Reaction score
1. A lot of patience required .....yours;
2. Let the kid straddle the bike with both feet on the ground and have him balance the bike rocking sideways to and fro between their hands and legs;
3. Let them gradually get use to sitting on the seat and walking the bike....encouraging him to kick off and coast for a few feet at a time;
4. Alternate the above with teaching him the mechanics of braking and coming to a stop with the brake.

.....yes this is slow.....

5. When he is ready, walk behind him while holding the seat of the bike and progressively let him coast further and further;
6. Ask him if he wants to peddle and do the above until he realizes he has successfully taken flight.
7. Stand still and watch the big smile on his face........and on yours.

My son who is 19 now took about half hour; my 14 year old daughter took two summers. My son hates to bike; my daughter loves it.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Find a hill. Place the kid on the bike. Push the bike with the kid on it down the hill. Repeat as needed.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I'm about to do this too.

A friend who lived in Germany for years swears by these things they use there -- called "LikeaBike" or something that they start on before they start riding. Basically bike without pedals and a low seat or no seat that young kids push along with their feet on either side. (Hopefully you get the idea -- I'm not describing it well.) It gets them used to maintaining their balance and using the handlebars before they have to worry about keeping the bike upright. According to him, everyone there starts on those instead of training wheels. Our bike shop here suggested a similar approach -- keeping the seat low so their feet can reach the ground on either side until they get used to being upright no the bike.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Break glass on the floor.

2. Alert them as to what will happen if they fall off.

3. Keep phone handy to call 911.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Find a hill. Place the kid on the bike. Push the bike with the kid on it down the hill. Repeat as needed.

Bad idea. Carrying both your cranky kid and a bike up a hill is a pain **********.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads