• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Menswear in CONNECTICUT/Hartford?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotta a friend in need in more ways than one
wink.gif

----The nightlife in Conn. rocks

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Gotta a friend in need in more ways than one
wink.gif

Paul Richards shoe shop in New Haven is pretty good.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's start with the premise that, in the Hartford area, you're not going to get top, top quality menswear (you can forget about Kiton, Oxxford, Borrelli, etc.). If you want really top quality in Connecticut, you have to go down to the southern part of the state and visit Mitchell's or Richard's. That said, there are some good menswear stores in the Hartford area.

- Stackpole Moore Tryon in Hartford - probably the best independent men's store in the area (although they carry women's clothing, too), including having one of the best shoe selections in the area, tied with Brooks Brothers mentioned below (Stackpole probably tops out at Ferragamo and Alden). A good place to get nice, mostly conservative, dress and casual clothing. I think suits top out at Zegna or equivalent brands.

- Tuesdays in Hartford - more fashion forward than Stackpole - I think they do a lot of Zegna by Coppley suits - I've never been there, but they do nice window displays - shoe selection doesn't look very good (top out at Donald J. Pliner)

- Allen Collins - West Hartford - probably the tradest shop in the Hartford area - they have a nice selection of dress and casual attire - pretty conservative, however - no shoes

- Cuzzi's - West Hartford - Italian styling - I don't usually go there, but they have more of an Italian/European flair - I think they carry shoes by Allen Edmonds, which I find surprising given the overall feel of the store

- Khaki & Black - West Hartford - streetwear (men's and women's)

- Nordstrom and Brooks Brothers - Westfarms Mall, West Hartford - the Brooks Brothers is about what you'd expect at a mall BB (limited selection, no Golden Fleece), but they do have a shoe department, so they carry some Alden and Peal - the Nordstrom is okay, but it's not like going to Nordstrom in San Francisco or some other large, metropolitan area (their casual wear department has been taken over by Tommy Bahama - it's kind of depressing) - the mall also has all of the "usual suspects" (J. Crew, Banana Republic, The Gap, etc.)

- J. Press - New Haven - the original trad store, if that's your thing - only about a 45 minute drive from Hartford

- For shoes, I really recommend The Shoe Mart in Norwalk - this is pretty far from Hartford, but the service is great - again, not top, top line stuff, but some good quality shoes (Alden, AE) with great service - I've never actually been there, but done business with them over the phone and on the web.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
If you want really top quality in Connecticut, you have to go down to the southern part of the state and visit Mitchell's or Richard's.

Greenwich. But, why not hop a train into Manhattan?

coachvu

Reaction score
Enson's is my favorite men's clothing store in New Haven. J. Press gets all the attention, but Enson's carries far better stuff.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
Let's start with the premise that, in the Hartford area, you're not going to get top, top quality menswear (you can forget about Kiton, Oxxford, Borrelli, etc.). If you want really top quality in Connecticut, you have to go down to the southern part of the state and visit Mitchell's or Richard's. That said, there are some good menswear stores in the Hartford area.

- Stackpole Moore Tryon in Hartford - probably the best independent men's store in the area (although they carry women's clothing, too), including having one of the best shoe selections in the area, tied with Brooks Brothers mentioned below (Stackpole probably tops out at Ferragamo and Alden). A good place to get nice, mostly conservative, dress and casual clothing. I think suits top out at Zegna or equivalent brands.

- Tuesdays in Hartford - more fashion forward than Stackpole - I think they do a lot of Zegna by Coppley suits - I've never been there, but they do nice window displays - shoe selection doesn't look very good (top out at Donald J. Pliner)

- Allen Collins - West Hartford - probably the tradest shop in the Hartford area - they have a nice selection of dress and casual attire - pretty conservative, however - no shoes

- Cuzzi's - West Hartford - Italian styling - I don't usually go there, but they have more of an Italian/European flair - I think they carry shoes by Allen Edmonds, which I find surprising given the overall feel of the store

- Khaki & Black - West Hartford - streetwear (men's and women's)

- Nordstrom and Brooks Brothers - Westfarms Mall, West Hartford - the Brooks Brothers is about what you'd expect at a mall BB (limited selection, no Golden Fleece), but they do have a shoe department, so they carry some Alden and Peal - the Nordstrom is okay, but it's not like going to Nordstrom in San Francisco or some other large, metropolitan area (their casual wear department has been taken over by Tommy Bahama - it's kind of depressing) - the mall also has all of the "usual suspects" (J. Crew, Banana Republic, The Gap, etc.)

- J. Press - New Haven - the original trad store, if that's your thing - only about a 45 minute drive from Hartford

- For shoes, I really recommend The Shoe Mart in Norwalk - this is pretty far from Hartford, but the service is great - again, not top, top line stuff, but some good quality shoes (Alden, AE) with great service - I've never actually been there, but done business with them over the phone and on the web.

I live near the Hartford area and I'm looking for a tailor to adjust some of my suits. Do any of the mentioned places above do that? Or can someone recommend a good tailor in CT?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads