1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best men's dress shoes under $200...?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by darlingfausty, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

ok, there are plenty of well priced shoes on there as it is.

2. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

i'm a fan of herring shoes as well
    i ordered a pair of suede captoes (forgot to use the code for the free shoe trees!)
    great shoes for the price
    especially since i've bought more expensive shoes that were not as nearly as nice

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/brands.php?brandid=6

3. entrero

entrero Senior member

I don't think you'll be getting a better deal than this

link

UK shoemakers raised their prices significantly, which basically means any decent shoe will turn out around +$300 incl shipping.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  4. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    This is the one.

[​IMG]

Alfred Sargent's Wells black plain-toe firsts in size 10 UK, which ought to work for your brother's 10.5-11. It's £100.00 including VAT. If you're not in UK or euroland deduct the VAT, add the shipping, and you're at approx. £110.00, which is comfortably below your $200. I recommend you select the shipping by Royal Mail to avoid the brokerage fees if they get caught up in customs. (Note: I believe there may be a further 10% discount available if you can find the code that's been posted on SF. Hmm... what shall you do w/ all this unspent cash lying around? Post it to me! Happy Christmas.)

If I were your brother I'd want these. Or these. More options w/ 'em.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

disagree.

Herrings own brand, which are made by loake, to what I find to be 1880 quality, can be had for $230 delivered, included free trees, tin of polish, bags, polishing cloth and horn.

Obviously they aren't lobbs, but they have the combination heel unlike the full rubber top lift, and some of the designs are better in my opinion.

I love allen edmonds, but there are some good choices in the $200-$240 range.

6. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

E is my recommendation for the money, but big sis already noted that she thinks AE is too conservative and not her cup of tea. I agree that Herrings or A fine Pair of Shoes offer great alternatives. But imo, OP needs a little more flexibility on her budget. I have never owned Bexley, but a good friend has one and it looks good quality and last shape...good luck

7. Coburn

Coburn Senior member

You seem to be familiar with Loakes. Is there a Loakes last similar in shape to Crocket &Jones 337 last?

8. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

the loake "swing" last may be fairly close.

The others you can look at are the capital last, and the slightly more pointed mayfair last.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-list.php?brandid=7&catid=20

gives you some good shape comparisons and pictures.

9. Jay Clay

Jay Clay Active Member

ehh... depending on the style you're looking for I can find you a great pair of AE's for under 200 dollars... they are typically $259 - $335. looks good and they're super comfy

10. khe86

khe86 Senior member

What about Meermin? I don't own any of their shoes but just checked out their thread here and their website, and it looks like a pretty good pair of shoes (full grain calf, GY welted) for 160 euros, which comes out to a little over $200. The last also looks more sleek than that of AE. Although shipping could add another $40.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  11. sns23

sns23 Senior member

WIthout waiting for sales I would recommend Meermin