• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best material for suits and best place online to buy them

Wrxsti04

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am looking to get a new suit for my Engagment which is a away month
I went to several stores locally and found the department stores are over priced. I was browsing online and reading about Virgin Wool, one store rep in Belk told me thats the best material....this true?

Just trying to find a nice suit at a budgeted price
Looking for a Black with pin light grey pin stripes

Also anyone have any feedback about > mensusa.com
They claim to sell italian suits, high quality 150 Virgn wool for $199i

Any help or website recommendations are appreciated

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A $199 suit will probably be pretty crap.

Wrxsti04

Reaction score
Unfortunetly I must budget my suit purchase. I don't see why a suit from menswarehouse made of worstead wool is better than a suit from italy made from 100% virgin wool. Just because something cost more does not always make it better.

dare-

Reaction score
Of course, 'virgin' wool, that is, new wool will be the best material for a suit. But the quality of the material will depend on more than whether it is 'virgin' or whether it is 'wool.' Was the material from reputable fabric mill like Loro Piana, Zegna, etc? s150, s140 is a gimmick. A suiting material can be s150 but complete crap.

Also a suit is a very complicated piece of clothing. Highly constructed.

199 will never get you a nice suit. But you're on a budget. What do you consider your maximum price?

Also, perhaps it's better to get a charcoal suit rather than a black pinstripe. An engagement is a formal thing, but the suit will go a longer ways if you could also use it for business.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$199 is not enough for good fabric let alone good construction and salary for a competent designer. Just to let you know. You'll be better off buying used from ebay. Others know and can tell you more about that than I can.

Wrxsti04

Reaction score
http://www.mensusa.com/products.aspx?id=357

Theres the link to the for the S150 Suit. Says from Italy but I new the the whole suit thing so may be a gimmick

I already have a Ralph Lauren chaps suit thats charcoal/grey
Its 92% wool and 8% cashmere, guess I could wear that

I would idealy want to spend $250 out the door
Would prefer something online if I can find a nice suit
Does not need to high class just someone budgeted made of nice material
Any thoughts or recomendations? ebay? overstock?

Is it better to still to brand names like perry ellis, ralph lauren, etc

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suits from Chaps, Perry Ellis, and the ones you showed us, is just not going to cut it I'm afraid. I rather rent a suit than have the agony of a piece of crap sitting in my closet. Chaps and Perry Ellis are just low-end suits. Ralph Lauren is decent, but you can do much better at the price. Go to STP and look around. Here's the link, you can probably afford Southwick or Arnold Brant. Wouldn't be more than $500. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/4326_Mens-Suits.html Someone give him the STP discount coupon.

pkincy

Reaction score
Yes, STP would be a good bet......inexpensive (relative to the retail cost of the suit), good selection and great return policy.

But you might also try Nieman's last call. You can occasionally get a Hickey Freeman at 399 or maybe less. The other option would be Nordstrom's Rack but you need to know what you are doing there since they definitely have some bad suits for sale. But if you take a friend that knows suits you can get a good suit there (I am guessing that the value/quality you should shoot for is $500-800 at retail but 199-249 at the Rack).

Stay far far away from Ebay unless you have thousands of dollars or lots of hours to spend to learn who is good, who is not and what is crap and what is not. Ebay has become the center of the largest scam artist convention on earth.

Perry

dare-

Reaction score
Wrxsti04,
You're a sheep that just walked into a wolf den.

Pkincy, I've wasted a lot of money on ebay. Although I have saved a lot too. Wasted more than saved though. But like a gambling addict, I'll keep on playing until I'm even. :p. Now, I only buy from sellers I trust.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads