1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best mass-produced shoe tree?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kronik, May 27, 2006.

1. kronik

kronik Senior member

So, I purchased like 6 pairs of Rochesters.. all are in use, and none of them seem to press against the vamp at all. I just purchased some Jermyn II and John Lobb shoe trees - what shoe trees, that are readily available, press in all areas?

Price is not an issue.

Thanks.

2. Alter

Alter Senior member

So, I purchased like 6 pairs of Rochesters.. all are in use, and none of them seem to press against the vamp at all. I just purchased some Jermyn II and John Lobb shoe trees - what shoe trees, that are readily available, press in all areas?

Price is not an issue.

Thanks.

Check out Bexley's. They are working well for me in some EG's and C&J's.

http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/index.a...BEXLEY&lang=EN

3. UR003

UR003 Active Member

La Cordonnerie Anglaise (LCA) and Dunkelman are similar in construction as Bexley, only the wood used is of better quality. The shape of the heel may differ a bit too. These trees would set you back about 60-65 US $.

4. 16520Man

16520Man Senior member

I second the vote for Bexley's:

[​IMG]

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

If price is not an issue (OP's own quote), get the last-specific trees for the shoes in question.

Otherwise, I like Cathcart-Elliot trees which are available on eBay from shoe-trees. I've bought about 6 pairs from him and the ones I buy look similar to the Bexley's posted above, except with a knob on the heel portion. I think he calls them "Premium Cedar Trees". Good prices too.

He also sells cheaper ones, but I don't think they'd provide enough support.

6. kronik

kronik Senior member

If price is not an issue (OP's own quote), get the last-specific trees for the shoes in question.

Otherwise, I like Cathcart-Elliot trees which are available on eBay from shoe-trees. I've bought about 6 pairs from him and the ones I buy look similar to the Bexley's posted above, except with a knob on the heel portion. I think he calls them "Premium Cedar Trees". Good prices too.

He also sells cheaper ones, but I don't think they'd provide enough support.

That's where I did where applicable (read: EG Mackays, Jermyn IIs) but some pairs.. the Barker Blacks.. Gucci loafers.. don't come with shoe trees for whatever reason - something I've learned in regards to well-made vs. stylish shoes.

7. 16520Man

16520Man Senior member

That's where I did where applicable (read: EG Mackays, Jermyn IIs) but some pairs.. the Barker Blacks.. Gucci loafers.. don't come with shoe trees for whatever reason - something I've learned in regards to well-made vs. stylish shoes.

Actually BB makes a last-specific tree in...black.

8. kronik

kronik Senior member

What the fookle - they didn't have it at Saks.

9. Sator Sartoris

Sator Sartoris Well-Known Member

For the Bexley's if I wear a 9 EEE should I go to 9.5?

10. morsem

morsem Active Member

Actually, I have found the Rochester "Washburn" model to be the best tree so far. It is about $35, but you can sometimes get a discount for $10 off at shoebuy.com...

It is a solid toe, high vamp, shoe tree. It is not hollow, so it is no good for travel but I find that it fills my shoes completely and is very contoured. It has a full heel which I also like. Additionally, it is cedar which is believed by many on the forum to be superior to varnished wood, if it isn't prettier...

Anyway, my two cents.

http://www.shoebuy.com/sb/s.jsp/r_ss...16/sbstl_37116

11. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

This isn't really an answer to the original post, but Grapevinehill has the Woodlore ultra trees for $19.50. I think that's a fantastic price.

12. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I have no experience with Bexley but so far, my best trees have been Grapevinehill's "ultra' shoe trees. Best value for money IMO

13. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

This isn't really an answer to the original post, but Grapevinehill has the Woodlore ultra trees for $19.50. I think that's a fantastic price.

I have a local cobbler who gets them for me for $17.00, no tax. Let me know if you'd like some, I can order them from him and we can meet or messenger the trees over.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

wow - chorse123 - we think alike ! [​IMG]

PS: hope you guys got home OK on Sunday under the pouring rain... Zach was nice enough to give all of us a ride... It was good meeting/seeing you guys

15. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I have a local cobbler who gets them for me for $17.00, no tax. Let me know if you'd like some, I can order them from him and we can meet or messenger the trees over.

Argh! Thanks, Ed. I just bought a few so don't need any for the time being, but will keep that in mind.

Got home fine on Sunday thanks to a few $3 street umbrellas. I love New York!

16. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

Should shoes always be kept in cedar shoes trees, or is it enough to do so for a couple of days (and then rotate)?

Regards,

Steve

17. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

i believe it is best to keep them in.

18. nmertaugh

nmertaugh New Member

Might anyone have any advice on using shoe trees for a pair of patent opera pumps? It seems that one's typical tree has a toe too pointed for a pump. Too, a pump has so little leather about the toe that it would seem logical to employ a tree expressly designed for this unusual architecture. Do special trees exist for pumps or loafers?

Many thanks to any who might be of assistance.

19. TCN

TCN Senior member

Might anyone have any advice on using shoe trees for a pair of patent opera pumps? It seems that one's typical tree has a toe too pointed for a pump. Too, a pump has so little leather about the toe that it would seem logical to employ a tree expressly designed for this unusual architecture. Do special trees exist for pumps or loafers?

Many thanks to any who might be of assistance.

I use the Woodlore Ultras for most of my shoes, but I find that the J&M's (Washburn) posted above work well for my higher vamp loafers, and my more robust pair of pumps (AE "Ritz" in calf) but not my "slippery" pumps (Polo).

20. nmertaugh

nmertaugh New Member

Yes, the AE Ritz are more robust indeed; I can see how they would take a tree nicely. I am concerned with a pair of Peal & Co. pumps that have a considerably more anemic toe. What do you use for your Polo pumps? I have not seen them but a imagine they may be more akin to the Peal & Co. than to the Allen Edmonds.