1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best mass-produced shoe tree?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kronik, May 27, 2006.

1. kronik

kronik Distinguished Member

So, I purchased like 6 pairs of Rochesters.. all are in use, and none of them seem to press against the vamp at all. I just purchased some Jermyn II and John Lobb shoe trees - what shoe trees, that are readily available, press in all areas?

Price is not an issue.

Thanks.

2. Alter

Alter Distinguished Member

So, I purchased like 6 pairs of Rochesters.. all are in use, and none of them seem to press against the vamp at all. I just purchased some Jermyn II and John Lobb shoe trees - what shoe trees, that are readily available, press in all areas?

Price is not an issue.

Thanks.

Check out Bexley's. They are working well for me in some EG's and C&J's.

http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/index.a...BEXLEY&lang=EN

3. UR003

UR003 Active Member

La Cordonnerie Anglaise (LCA) and Dunkelman are similar in construction as Bexley, only the wood used is of better quality. The shape of the heel may differ a bit too. These trees would set you back about 60-65 US $.

4. 16520Man

16520Man Senior Member

I second the vote for Bexley's:

[​IMG]

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Stylish Dinosaur

If price is not an issue (OP's own quote), get the last-specific trees for the shoes in question.

Otherwise, I like Cathcart-Elliot trees which are available on eBay from shoe-trees. I've bought about 6 pairs from him and the ones I buy look similar to the Bexley's posted above, except with a knob on the heel portion. I think he calls them "Premium Cedar Trees". Good prices too.

He also sells cheaper ones, but I don't think they'd provide enough support.

6. kronik

If price is not an issue (OP's own quote), get the last-specific trees for the shoes in question.

Otherwise, I like Cathcart-Elliot trees which are available on eBay from shoe-trees. I've bought about 6 pairs from him and the ones I buy look similar to the Bexley's posted above, except with a knob on the heel portion. I think he calls them "Premium Cedar Trees". Good prices too.

He also sells cheaper ones, but I don't think they'd provide enough support.

That's where I did where applicable (read: EG Mackays, Jermyn IIs) but some pairs.. the Barker Blacks.. Gucci loafers.. don't come with shoe trees for whatever reason - something I've learned in regards to well-made vs. stylish shoes.

7. 16520Man

16520Man Senior Member

That's where I did where applicable (read: EG Mackays, Jermyn IIs) but some pairs.. the Barker Blacks.. Gucci loafers.. don't come with shoe trees for whatever reason - something I've learned in regards to well-made vs. stylish shoes.

Actually BB makes a last-specific tree in...black.

8. kronik

What the fookle - they didn't have it at Saks.

9. Sator Sartoris

Sator Sartoris Well-Known Member

For the Bexley's if I wear a 9 EEE should I go to 9.5?

10. morsem

morsem Active Member

Actually, I have found the Rochester "Washburn" model to be the best tree so far. It is about $35, but you can sometimes get a discount for $10 off at shoebuy.com...

It is a solid toe, high vamp, shoe tree. It is not hollow, so it is no good for travel but I find that it fills my shoes completely and is very contoured. It has a full heel which I also like. Additionally, it is cedar which is believed by many on the forum to be superior to varnished wood, if it isn't prettier...

Anyway, my two cents.

http://www.shoebuy.com/sb/s.jsp/r_ss...16/sbstl_37116

11. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

This isn't really an answer to the original post, but Grapevinehill has the Woodlore ultra trees for $19.50. I think that's a fantastic price.

12. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I have no experience with Bexley but so far, my best trees have been Grapevinehill's "ultra' shoe trees. Best value for money IMO

13. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

This isn't really an answer to the original post, but Grapevinehill has the Woodlore ultra trees for $19.50. I think that's a fantastic price.

I have a local cobbler who gets them for me for $17.00, no tax. Let me know if you'd like some, I can order them from him and we can meet or messenger the trees over.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

wow - chorse123 - we think alike ! [​IMG]

PS: hope you guys got home OK on Sunday under the pouring rain... Zach was nice enough to give all of us a ride... It was good meeting/seeing you guys

15. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

I have a local cobbler who gets them for me for $17.00, no tax. Let me know if you'd like some, I can order them from him and we can meet or messenger the trees over.

Argh! Thanks, Ed. I just bought a few so don't need any for the time being, but will keep that in mind.

Got home fine on Sunday thanks to a few $3 street umbrellas. I love New York!