• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Man Toast

Hank Rearden

Reaction score
I was asked several months back to be the best man in a wedding and the date is fast approaching. They would like me to give two speeches, one at the rehearsal dinner and the other at the reception.

This weekend I plan to start thinking about what I'm going to say, how long it should be, etc. I plan to scour the internet for advice, but I wanted to query SF first. Any tips would be appreciated.

Hans

Reaction score
A good toast is like a nice skirt: short enough to be exciting, but long enough to be decent.

Nomad_K

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hans
A good toast is like a nice skirt: short enough to be exciting, but long enough to be decent.

Well said. Focus on your friends, their happiness together to date, and their future.

While I have seen a few people pull off jokes and gentle ribbing with a bit of grace, those type of speeches can get away from you.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rehearsal is the shorter and easier of the two, though it is also more intimate in a sense since these are the people closest to the bride and groom. The wedding speech should have a few jokes for good measure - keep it lighthearted and focus on how great the bride and groom are together, best wishes for future happiness/success/kids/etc.

Hans's advice is pretty good.

zillka

Reaction score

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Remember that the event is about them. Tell funny stories about the best man that also highlight his good side. Compliment the bride for making him a better man.

I had a great best man speech planned - I rehearsed it in front of a mixed crowd and they loved it.

Anyway, big moment comes and the maid of honor gives a speech. Her "speech"? "Carla and J, you guys are the cutest couple. I love you both." The end.

Faced with that, I realized my three to four minute speech would come off as very long-winded. So I did an abbreviated version, maybe two minutes and sat down.

Always be prepared for a contingency. Topical references are great - the ceremony, who showed up, etc..

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
one thing to avoid, which I see often, is toasts that just talks about how the one giving the toast and the celebrant(s) met, or how they became friends. that is not interesting at all and no one cares. as flmountainman said, the event is about them.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
compliment the bride - she looks pretty
compliment the bridesmaids - they look pretty (unless they dont) and/or how much they helped the bride
a few jokes but none at the expense of the couple. its not a 21st speach. some gentle ribbing of the groom as long as it is really complimentary ribbing (my best man made a joke about how i was a nerd at university but really turned it into how im a hardworker story)
compliment the groom - how good a friend he has been etc
compliment the couple - how good they are together
propose a couple of toasts (to the bride and too the couple)

if you can, back the compliments up with some amusing anecdotes.

its a simple formula but ive seen it go wrong (oh so wrong) on so many occasions.

its a big honour to be asked to be the best man and obviously the groom thinks highly off the best man so it is always very nice to hear complimentary things from him. guys dont usually compliment each other.

one wedding i went to the best man did a 15 minute speach consisting largely of stories of how hed broken the hearts of loads of girls before he settled down and about all his (womanising) antics. it was one of the most embarrasing things ive had to witness.

good luck
smile.gif

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Gotta start out with Fornication... For an occasion such as this... end it with, heres to Groom & Bride for love, laughter and a happily ever after.
smile.gif

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What an auspicious day. (pause) Free food. And it's good food, too. Who here likes chicken? (look around room). I've seen <groom> eat a lot of cock over the years as well. A lot (nod, look at his bride, keep nodding).

Then just wing it.

zillka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
What an auspicious day. (pause) Free food. And it's good food, too. Who here likes chicken? (look around room). I've seen <groom> eat a lot of cock over the years as well. A lot (nod, look at his bride, keep nodding).

Then just wing it.

brill

Raleighdesign

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads