• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Mall Brand Dress Shoes? Interview Emergency!

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got several interviews with some corporate law firms this Monday. I've got everything but the shoes taken care of, so I've got about two days to get a decent pair.

The "big" names (Boss, Zegna) are clearly not a viable option, given that they are about $200-$400 overpriced here in Toronto. So would anybody chime in on what mall brands might be in order, given my circumstances? I'd like to buy a pair of "fill-in" shoes until time allows the importation of a real pair (AEs, Tremezzas, etc.) from the States at a reasonable price.

I'll be wearing a dark navy suit, so black is my preference.

Much appreciated!

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd just hit a handful of local thrift stores.

Other than that, Clarks or whatever look best at Winners.

neilallen777

Reaction score
banana republic would be my vote. not sure if you have those in toronto.....

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought black captoes at Sears in a pinch. They were something like $60.00.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherman90
I'd like to buy a pair of "fill-in" shoes until time allows the importation of a real pair.

Buying a cheap stopgap shoe will be a complete waste of money, better to bite the bullet and put the cash towards something better that you can wear for years.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Buying a cheap stopgap shoe will be a complete waste of money, better to bite the bullet and put the cash towards something better that you can wear for years.

You're not allowing for the outrageous markup and piss poor shoe selection in Toronto.

I'd vote for Winners/thrift store/sale item at Sears or The Bay, then get a proper pair later when you have time to travel or order online. It'll work out cheaper than buying a good pair of shoes at inflated Toronto prices.

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGimpy
You're not allowing for the outrageous markup and piss poor shoe selection in Toronto.

+1

Also depends on whether you want a real business shoe. If so, your limited choice may be a Bostonian cap from the Shoe Company.

You can also try the new shoe store in Vaughan Mills (from the owners of Winners).

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds? Brooks Brothers? Don't know what else would be considered a "mall brand"

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Allen Edmonds? Brooks Brothers? Don't know what else would be considered a "mall brand"

Those may be mall brands in the US but not in Canada.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check out the steve madden store. they have one in square one but i'm pretty sure there's some downtown too...eaton centre maybe.

i'm actually heading to vaughan mills tonight so if i'll try and remember to pop into the new shoe store to see if there's anything decent there.

orthofrancis

Reaction score
What kind of mall is this. I've seen plenty of Ferragamos in Bloomingdales, and even some other nicer brands.
I also agree that cheaper shoes, is probably just money wasted, 'cause they won't last more than a year. You might get two years out of Cole-Haan (sp?), or more out of Johnston&Murphy, not sure about Florsheim.
Brooks Bros has some nice shoes.

Eagle

Reaction score
Perhaps Bostonians or Florshiems. Does your local mall have a Sears, Penny's or Carson, Prarie Scott store. The men's dept. in such stores usually have will usually sell a pair of plain toes or cap-toes that should meet your needs,

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What stores are in this mall?

Or what about an expedited online shipment? Lands end?

sanrensho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I've bought black captoes at Sears in a pinch. They were something like $60.00.
+1 I'd rather make a $60 mistake than rush out and make a $600 one. And the $60 shoes will last a lot longer than a similarly priced dinner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads