• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best maker of boots to check out?

tommboy

Reaction score
the G&G site won't display, any other suggestions, I am actually looking for some boots that are stacked at the heel to give some extra height.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crockett Jones
White's
Nick's
RM Williams
Alden
Tricker
Rider

Pengranger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tommboy
...I am actually looking for some boots that are stacked at the heel to give some extra height.

RM Williams Original Bushman

B500C_ob.jpg

RM Williams Yearling boots

B522.jpg

konadog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coverto
I must second the motion for Luccheses - go straight to their Classics line. Rounded or French toes my preference. I've got a pair of alligators in addition to some chocolate calfskins. Gunning for a second pair of gators this spring, although the price is admittedly steep. Once you own a pair, anything else seems effete.

i have a pair of the Lucchese Classics ropers in black cherry goat leather. they are pretty amazing.

does anyone else have the ropers? have had them for a few months - the leather is incredible, and the fit seems perfect except for the heel, which feels a little short. does anyone know if this eventually breaks in?

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by konadog
i have a pair of the Lucchese Classics ropers in black cherry goat leather. they are pretty amazing.

does anyone else have the ropers? have had them for a few months - the leather is incredible, and the fit seems perfect except for the heel, which feels a little short. does anyone know if this eventually breaks in?

I have the same Lucchese Classics, the leather is wonderful and the black cherry ages very nicely, but how do you expect the heel to break in? I dont follow your question.

Regards.

MeowMeow

Reaction score
Lucchese Classics are amazing. Prior to a trip to Austin, I always thought cowboy boots looked like a P.O.S. That was until I saw a pair of ropers without that ugly toe stiching and a lower heel.

MeowMeow

Reaction score
To all you Lucchese fans: Does a Roper from the Classic line always trump a Chelsea style boot?

Avebury

Reaction score
How do you rate Alfred Sargent's shoes and boots? Any good? Top end quality wise from the UK makers, I'd put Crockett and Jones, Tricker's and Grenson, EG excepted. Barker and Loake below that. AS are a bit 'left field' - no catalogue, dedicated website or shop, so it's difficult to assess. The Westminister/Pall Mall/Connaught/Tavistock in the Premier Exclisive collection have oak bark channelled leather soles, which are absent on the Crockett and Jones RTW lines. Have the same Pediwear price point (£243) though. Possibly, as good as the top three, if not better. Below that, Premier and Classic collection, possibly sit somewhere in between Barker and top three.

Avebury

Reaction score
By RTW mean 'benchgrade'. As far as I'm aware, oak bark channelled soles are only available on the handgrade collection. I haven't looked through the catalogue, but I think I'm right.

kalice

Reaction score
I really like RL boots if you're into the equestrian type. Justin makes some good cowboy boot

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit "streetwear and denim" but for jeans, Paul Smith York boots always go down well!
_DSC0029_rollover.jpg

37932_250_x_333.jpg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black Jack Cowbiy boots aren't as nice as Lucchese but they're still a good brand.

Pengranger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oaw01
What's G&G and where can you get them?

That's the Burnham on either the TF73 or MH71 last.

No idea where you are. You can consult the stockists list on their Website. Dean and Tony are currently doing trunk shows in the States.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 77 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 80 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads