• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best made-to-measure shirtmakers in London

jaymanjones

Reaction score
Hello friends, I'd like to inquire about what you all regard as being the best made-to-measure shirt service in London, whether it be on Savile Row, Jermyn Street or some dark alley in Hackney. What I'm really looking for is the highest level of customization possible, per se, especially when it comes to the collar. What I desire is a spread collar which is short in length. I think the best way for one to understand what I'm referring to is to look at the pictures of C.Bale in "American Psycho" attached below. Now I imagine a lot of you will say it's a standard spread collar or a light cutaway, but I beg to differ. It seems to have shorter edges than your usual spread/cutaway. What do you think? And where can one get shirts of such nature made to measure in London? (Price is irrelevant) Thank you, Jayman

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quite a bit has been written on London shirtmakers ... as many of us have used one or more of them. For example, I've used both O'Flynn and Whittaker ... to note the cutter rather than the associated "brand" name.

You might want to do a search.

jaymanjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Quite a bit has been written on London shirtmakers ... as many of us have used one or more of them. For example, I've used both O'Flynn and Wittaker ... to note the cutter rather than the associated "brand" name.

You might want to do a search.

I did do a search at the beginning and also had a look at the similar topics that came up upon writing the title, but few touched upon high levels of customization and finest quality (and sometimes most expensive) shirtmakers...
frown.gif

BicesterRules

Reaction score
TM Levin (Jermyn St) is quite popular in SF, and several senior members have sworn by it.

unfortunately it is beyond my price point so I cannot provide 1st hand experience.

There is also Charles Tyrwhitt (Jermyn St) but I am told it is slightly overpriced.

On the whole I would say that Gieves & Hawkes is probably your best choice as their bespoke line has been widely praised. I would however recommend you book ahead for a fitting to avoid disappointment

BicesterRules

Reaction score
Just joking of course, don't want you spending too much time calling TM Levin factory in Timbuktu,

but since "price is irrelevant" the answer must be of the same nature

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaymanjones
I did do a search at the beginning and also had a look at the similar topics that came up upon writing the title, but few touched upon high levels of customization and finest quality (and sometimes most expensive) shirtmakers...
frown.gif

Well, I have mentioned two of London's better bespoke shirmakers. Whittaker is to be found at Dege on Savile Row ... I think O'Flynn makes for several including New & Lingwood on Jermyn Street.

I still use Savile Row tailors ... but have moved my shirtmaking elsewhere.

stylomilo

Reaction score
A search would provide you with a list of shirtmakers in London. Not sure if anyone of them could make this type of collar as most shirtmakers will request that you select from their existing collar patterns for their made to measure program.
If you are going fully bespoke, perhaps you can try Russell & Hodge or Turnbull & Asser for your unusual collar request

andreyb2

Reaction score
My shirtmaker, Stephen Lachter (13 New Burlington Street), does make a custom collar. I think he can accomodate your request.

As for level of quality... present day London bespoke shirtmakers all stick to same, admittedly not highest one, standard.

Andrey

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh ... made to measure ... not bespoke.

When someone says made to measure I assume they are talking about getting bespoke. Wrong!

Winot

Reaction score
Sean O'Flynn will make a custom collar.

Macallan

Reaction score
Oscar Udeshi; however, you would be looking £220/+ for a MTM shirt - you can get bespoke for less money in London.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Oh ... made to measure ... not bespoke.

When someone says made to measure I assume they are talking about getting bespoke. Wrong!

Well, it has been highly debated as to which Jermyn St. maker's offer true bespoke. But even still, If price is the OP's major concern I'm not sure if any of the Jermyn St. makers whether MTM or Bespoke would be the best option? I would think you're going to pay around $300.00/shirt no-matter who you use?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The two I've used Whittaker (back in the Bowring Arundel days ... now at Dege) and O'Flynn (makes for New & Lingwood) are definitely bespoke.

I thought price not to be considered?

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
The two I've used Whittaker (back in the Bowring Arundel days ... now at Dege) and O'Flynn (makes for New & Lingwood) are definitely bespoke.

I thought price not to be considered?

Originally Posted by jaymanjones
I did do a search at the beginning and also had a look at the similar topics that came up upon writing the title, but few touched upon high levels of customization and finest quality (and sometimes most expensive) shirtmakers..
frown.gif

Maybe I read him wrong? Is he looking for the most expensive makers?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads