1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best Made to Measure/Bespoke Option in Alberta (Harry Rosen, Henry Singer, Holt Renfrew, ?)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by primetimeseano, Apr 22, 2013.

1. primetimeseano

primetimeseano Senior member

Which travelling tailor was it? Maxwell's is coming to town in a week and I was thinking about ordering some shirts. I bought some a couple of years ago and while the fit isn't what it should be, they've held up well and the price was right.

2. bertie

bertie Senior member

It was MyTailor. I'm going to try LeeBaron next.

3. primetimeseano

Would you agree that finding a good offshore tailor is the best way to go on shirts? It seems like the only other option for getting a solid fit would be to pay hundreds of dollars per shirt locally.

4. bertie

bertie Senior member

Yes I think so. Umberto has a shirt service and they use pretty good fabric but the prices start at $200. I have tried it once and the result was very good but that is a bit more than I want to spend on workhorse shirts. I use CEGO and Carl makes a great shirt assuming you can get fitted in person but the long distance complicates things. I've also tried Jantzen and the price is great at about $45 but the fabrics are hit and miss. Reviews for LeeBaron seem pretty good and they do CMT (unlike Jantzen). My plan is to order some Acorn fabric and send to LeeBaron with a sample shirt that fits well.

5. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

I would recommend getting a MTM Samuelsohn suit from Harry Rosen.

I tried Maxwell once - worst fitting suit I had ever had - the second I tried it on out of the box I knew I made a huge mistake. I would never do business with them again.

6. primetimeseano

I just got my stuff from Maxwell's. Epic fail. I'm currently trying to salvage something wearable out of the fiasco. Here's the email I sent them:

They've since referred me to their local tailor. We'll see how that goes. Worst-case scenario, I return everything and charge it back on my credit card.

7. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

This was a sad but foreseeable end to the thread.

8. primetimeseano

To make a long story short, I ended up having the shirts remade (for free) with some modifications to the collar, length and waist measurements. I then took advantage of the free tailoring again to have the arms slimmed a bit and the torso slimmed more. The end result is actually pretty decent. I may even order from them again.