1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

best luxury car to be driven around in

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by lee lin, Aug 15, 2008.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

[​IMG]

I was at a car show yesterday, and the Smart was the car getting the most attention. Lots of people were swarming all around it.

2. Roy

Roy Senior member

I was at a car show yesterday, and the Smart was the car getting the most attention. Lots of people were swarming all around it.

Why? It's a pretty normal car. There are tons of 'em on the streets.

3. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

beat the shit out of one of these everyday like paul newman in harper....except his was a convertible

[​IMG]

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Why? It's a pretty normal car. There are tons of 'em on the streets.
    Not normal here in the U.S., yet. I know they're prevalent in Europe as I've seen them there for a number of years, but they've just come to the U.S.

5. raphael

raphael Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG] I wouldn't get into that suicidal piece of junk if you paid me a million dollars.

I like the Chevy Suburban, Mercedes S-series and Aston Martins - big, heavy cars with huge engines and lots of room. It's too bad they don't make any of them properly anymore: the suburban is unreliable with a flimsy interior, the S-series has shrinking legroom and headroom in the back seats, and the Aston Martins are getting infusions of cheap, horribly made parts that look like they're from recycled tupperware.

I'm thinking that like all the finer things in life, a real gentleman's car is no longer mass-produced any more and has a character and age about it. The "age" has to do with all the hard knocks it has to go through and the styling of a lost era. The "character" is how it has recovered from all the hard knocks. A Rolls Royce or Bentley full of fast food burger wrappers, overflowing ashtrays and empty beer bottles will never be a gentleman's car. Car grooming is the key, the marque is secondary.

6. epb

epb Senior member

[​IMG] I wouldn't get into that suicidal piece of junk if you paid me a million dollars.

Yes, I know it was ill-advised. After all, it's been on sale in Europe for 10 years, and the numerous accident fatalities and injuries far in excess of other car models have been reported everywhere, right?

7. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

8. suited

suited Senior member

Yes, I know it was ill-advised. After all, it's been on sale in Europe for 10 years, and the numerous accident fatalities and injuries far in excess of other car models have been reported everywhere, right?

Statistics don't mean anything if you don't have common sense.

It's pretty damn obvious, unless you're blind and retarded, that if you got into an accident in that car you could get seriously injured or killed fairly easy.

9. epb

epb Senior member

I'll concede that supposition is common, but it isn't sensible. Thanks for your input.

10. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

I'd say the false sense of security people tend to exhibit driving large trucks & SUV's is every bit as dangerous as any actual advantage they may have in terms of size and weight.

The car is designed to cater to those driving in congested inner-city urban environments, where its possible disadvantages of size & weight are not such a huge factor in real life anyway. Scooters, bikes...even being a pedestrian obviously poses a greater risk of injury in the case of a collision, but that hardly makes you a "retard" for doing it.

Not that I'm judging, but guess where Americans addicted to their giant-assed vehicles fall on my retard scale?

11. freshcutgrass

Perhaps the Hermes version is more to people's liking here?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. suited

suited Senior member

I'd say the false sense of security people tend to exhibit driving large trucks & SUV's is every bit as dangerous as any actual advantage they may have in terms of size and weight. The car is designed to cater to those driving in congested inner-city urban environments, where its possible disadvantages of size & weight are not such a huge factor in real life anyway. Scooters, bikes...even being a pedestrian obviously poses a greater risk of injury in the case of a collision, but that hardly makes you a "retard" for doing it. Not that I'm judging, but guess where Americans addicted to their giant-assed vehicles fall on my retard scale?
    I never said anyone was a retard for driving one. I said you're retarded if you can't realize that driving a car the size of a kitchen stove is dangerous if you get t-boned. Is this stuff really that complicated?

13. freshcutgrass

I doubt anyone fails to understand....it's teeny...it's the first thing that would come to anyone's mind. The point I'm making, is the gap between perceived danger...and the real danger. I think it is considerably better in a collision situation than people would think it is.

From what i can tell, its front crumple zone is where it is vulnerable.

14. SirSuturesALot

SirSuturesALot Senior member

There's actually a video examining the crash resistant properties of the Smart car. The Smart car is no tank, but it performs much better than most expect.

15. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

The interior can be reproduced in almost any car. The 1 cool thing about this shot is that there is a barrier between the driver and passengers = champagne in the back!!!

16. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Uber.

Cars themselves are disposable.

17. arirang

arirang Well-Known Member

I second the nomination of the Toyota Century. The standard (non-Emperor customized) version goes for about $100K and it is what nearly every Japanese executive of a certain vintage aspires to be seen in. It is unapologetically old-school and that stance is part of what's behind its appeal.

[​IMG]