1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best looking sofa ever (Polder Sofa)

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by joshuacc, Oct 28, 2008.

1. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

I like the idea and would try it out, but I can't figure out where I could sit on or buy one or how much it would cost.
    It is by Moroso ...so it is a mainstream manufacturer -- actually, I don't know if it has actually gone into production just yet -- it is very recent [​IMG]

It reminds me of Paolo Deganello's Torso furniture for Cassina. A kind of post-modern interpretation of bourgeois 1950s design.
    [​IMG]

This is currently my favourite, Cassiopea from Poltrona Frau -- Frau (along with Matteo Grassi) is the best leather furniture maker in Italy -- Like Desede of Switzerland, Frau's furniture is hand made -- the quality is exceptional and makes the furniture by Cassina and B&B feel very mass-produced and unremarkable by comparison.

[​IMG]

2. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

Not only are they available through any Ligne Roset store or dealer (every major city should have one), there are plenty of cheap knock-offs (not that I am promoting this idea).

3. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Not only are they available through any Ligne Roset store or dealer (every major city should have one), there are plenty of cheap knock-offs (not that I am promoting this idea).

Lead times are 16 weeks minimum, no matter what they tell you.

4. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

It is by Moroso ...so it is a mainstream manufacturer -- actually, I don't know if it has actually gone into production just yet -- it is very recent [​IMG]
    . . .

Thanks. They have a showroom in Soho and I will suggest that we have a look.

5. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

This is currently my favourite, Cassiopea from Poltrona Frau -- Frau (along with Matteo Grassi) is the best leather furniture maker in Italy -- Like Desede of Switzerland, Frau's furniture is hand made -- the quality is exceptional and makes the furniture by Cassina and B&B feel very mass-produced and unremarkable by comparison.
    Poltrona Frau actually owns Cassina.

!luc

6. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Not necessarily the best looking sofa EVER, but this one caught my eye for a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks. They have a showroom in Soho and I will suggest that we have a look.

Got vetoed. My wife suggested one of Cappellini's Jasper Morrison sofas, which I did not like. My guess is that either this will take a long time, or one day, I will come home and there will be a sofa (like The Amoeba char, which just appeared).

8. Luc-Emmanuel

Got vetoed. My wife suggested one of Cappellini's Jasper Morrison sofas, which I did not like.
    your wife has better taste than you do [​IMG]

!luc

9. Luc-Emmanuel

Not necessarily the best looking sofa EVER, but this one caught my eye for a while.

Aspen was in my shortlist as well, but it requires you to be able to navigate around the sofa and mine was going to be in sort of a nook against the wall.

!luc

10. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

11. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

^^^ The ones in the bottom picture are very pretty.

12. spertia

spertia Senior member

Here is a photo of our sofa, "Camaleonda" designed by Mario Bellini for B&B Italia (actually named C&B Italia at the time) in 1971:

[​IMG]

I like the design because it is rather formal and yet still quite comfortable. Obviously the set is very flexible because of the modular design; we have had it arranged in many different ways over the years.

13. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

Here is a photo of our sofa, "Camaleonda" designed by Mario Bellini for B&B Italia (actually named C&B Italia at the time) in 1971:

[​IMG]

I like the design because it is rather formal and yet still quite comfortable. Obviously the set is very flexible because of the modular design; we have had it arranged in many different ways over the years.

That is very nice indeed.

It is similar to Cini Boeri's 'Strips' sofa for Arflex from around the same time in the early '70s.
    [​IMG]

14. spertia

spertia Senior member

It is similar to Cini Boeri's 'Strips' sofa for Arflex from around the same time in the early '70s.

Funny you should mention that -- I've always loved the Strips series. Was surprised to learn a couple of years ago that it was still in production.

I think that Boeri is a really underrated designer. Her "Ghost" chair is a true classic in my opinion:

[​IMG]

15. NMaldini

NMaldini New Member