1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best looking sofa ever (Polder Sofa)

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by joshuacc, Oct 28, 2008.

1. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

This time she is asking, so I have gotten somewhere.

I do like the Knoll design, but she does not - too cold. My guess is that she would have the same reaction to th eone iammatt posted, though I think it is great looking.

One thing to consider, and my viewpoint is pretty conservative on this, is that a sofa is a pretty big piece of furniture, so dialing down its design and colors is much safer than going overboard on them. Which is why I like things like the sofa Matt posted, or the Knoll, or any of the other minimalist-looking couches. I have a Cassina Nest, which is both good-looking and comfortable.

--Andre

3. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

One thing to consider, and my viewpoint is pretty conservative on this, is that a sofa is a pretty big piece of furniture, so dialing down its design and colors is much safer than going overboard on them. Which is why I like things like the sofa Matt posted, or the Knoll, or any of the other minimalist-looking couches. I have a Cassina Nest, which is both good-looking and comfortable. --Andre
    We tend to have empty rooms and rely on the few pieces of furniture to give some pop, rather than having an overall look. Our living room contains three paintings on the wall, a fireplace/mantle (with a painting sitting on it, it will eventually be hung)/ The Panton Amoeba chair and an art deco club chair in purple velvet. Add an unobtrusive floor lamp and chandelier and you have the entire inventory. While the room isn't huge, it has 12 foot ceilings, so anything meek will disappear. BTW, the Cassina nest would be perfect, though I think it would need to be a strong color.

4. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

But seriously, when it comes to sofas, I find that the modern aesthetic does not lend well to comfort.

I dunno; our Florence Knoll sofa is extremely comfortable to us. It's tight proportions make it so that you don't have to lie back or be 300+ lbs. to sit and have back support.

5. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

I've always thought a weathered chesterfield sofa would look awesome in a modern apartment. I saw a guy do it once in Arch. Digest and the modern/vintage blend was pretty striking.

[​IMG]

I have a very similar pair of chairs and a sofa that were in the St. Francis Hotel in SF for decades. Best furniture purchase I ever made. Goes very well with my other more modern pieces.

6. nate10184

nate10184 Senior member

I have a very similar pair of chairs and a sofa that were in the St. Francis Hotel in SF for decades. Best furniture purchase I ever made. Goes very well with my other more modern pieces.

Cool do you have pics?

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

It is actually terribly uncomfortable, but it looks good, and I don't want to encourage people to stay too long.

Haha. The funny thing is, I actually believe you when you say that.

8. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

I've always thought a weathered chesterfield sofa would look awesome in a modern apartment. I saw a guy do it once in Arch. Digest and the modern/vintage blend was pretty striking.

I have always been tempted by the idea of either a Knoll or a Mies Barcelona in oxblood, to look like a "modern" Chesterfield. That said, I'd probably never do it...

9. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

A couple of 30s sofas, the top one converts to a bed: [​IMG] [​IMG] And mine, also 30s: [​IMG]

10. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Like like Le Corbusier's. Togo is pretty fucking up there. B&B Italia Charles is a very nice design. I still like traditional Japanese decor. however

11. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I opted for a version of a chesterfield in velvet for my own home.
    I agree with the above posts -modern stuff can be problematic on comfort.
    For B+B, I tend to like the interiors they are photographed in better than the look of the furniture itself.
    I've never owned any, so can't speak to comfort.

12. spertia

spertia Senior member

Togo is pretty fucking up there.

That is what I was planning to buy before finding our vintage sofa. I love love love the Togo (and needless to say, it is incredibly comfortable):

[​IMG]

13. kronik

kronik Senior member

The Togo was actually the other couch I was thinking of when I mentioned the Tufty Time. I'd be up for either one if we didn't have multiple shedding animals in our household. Their hair would manage to get into every possible crevice.

14. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

Cool do you have pics?

No but I will take and post some.

15. A Y

A Y Senior member

The Wittmann Kubus collection looks nice, and may appeal to those less minimally inclined:

[​IMG]

It was designed in 1910.

16. Sprezzatura2010

Sprezzatura2010 Senior member

A couple of 30s sofas, the top one converts to a bed:

[​IMG]

What kind of sofa is that, and where can I get one?

I'm a little disappointed with my Ligne Roset Smala.

17. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

Not fan of the polder though it could look nice in the proper place.
    Here is mine:

[​IMG]

I got the two seaters.
    Lissoni Ile is very uncomfortable [​IMG]

!luc

18. kronik

kronik Senior member

Which is that Luc?

19. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

Which is that Luc?
    Elan by Jasper Morrison.