• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Literary Villain

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
Given the popularity for the movie one, I thought I'd create one specifically for books.

My nomination goes towards Baron Vladimir Harkonnen of Dune fame. It's almost hysterical how he's portrayed: fat, sadistic, cunning, and a gay pedophile to boot. I really love how Herbert was careful with this character; he's more of a connoisseur of sadism rather than just an evil "tank brain" like his nephew Beast Rabban. He reveled in exquisitely executed tortures/murders but was openly disgusted with Rabban's willy-nilly mass killings. His evil had structure and control. He even disliked how he was forced to kill Duke Atreides in front of people because it set a "bad precedent." A really repulsive individual, through and through, but with style!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pavel Petrovich Kirsanov from Turgenev's Fathers and Sons. A stroke of genius on the author's part, really...he isn't the overt villain of the story, but his utter hatred of Bazarov and all things "new" could put him into the "wicked" category. He's also a total dandy.

Reaction score
heathcliff from wuthering heights.

it is difficult to be sympathetic to the bastard, despite his mistreatment at a child. and the way he... oh... spoiler spoiler spoiler... ugh!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm partial to anti-heroes rather than any wholesale villains.

That noted, I like Humbert Humbert although I'll likely think of more. Uriah Heep was an interesting bit of work.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I 'like' Iago . . . from Othello.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augustus Medici
Given the popularity for the movie one, I thought I'd create one specifically for books.

My nomination goes towards Baron Vladimir Harkonnen of Dune fame. It's almost hysterical how he's portrayed: fat, sadistic, cunning, and a gay pedophile to boot. I really love how Herbert was careful with this character; he's more of a connoisseur of sadism rather than just an evil "tank brain" like his nephew Beast Rabban. He reveled in exquisitely executed tortures/murders but was openly disgusted with Rabban's willy-nilly mass killings. His evil had structure and control. He even disliked how he was forced to kill Duke Atreides in front of people because it set a "bad precedent." A really repulsive individual, through and through, but with style!

I was thinking the exact same thing when I clicked on the thread. I'm a huge Dune fan. I really like his mentat Piter as well because he's seriously twisted. Have you read all the books?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Excellent call on the Dune villains.

Since the Baron and Piter have been mentioned already, I'm going to go with Dmitri Ravenoff (Raven) from Snow Crash. I look enough like his description that I demand to be casted if/when they make a movie.

He has rides a motorcycle with a hydrogen bomb sidecar that is triggered by a pacemaker attached to his heart. He's killed thousands of people with handmade knives that he's chipped out of plate glass, and his ultimate dream is to nuke the USA. Other than that, he's actually a pretty sympathetic character, and seemingly a genuinely decent guy.

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Have you read all the books?

Yes, I've read all the way through Chapterhouse. I tried reading House Atreides, but I couldn't stomach it. All of Brian Herbert's efforts are like fanfic, so I've since stopped.

I think Dune is pretty underrated these days. Hopefully, somebody can do for it what Peter Jackson did for Lord of the Rings and introduce Herbert's masterpiece to a new generation. With the recent interest in Islam (for obvious reasons), perhaps the time will be ripe for a righteous movie adaptation in the near future. Just imagine a well done Dune saga on the silver screen
inlove.gif

And by the way, f*ck Harry Potter.

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
He has rides a motorcycle with a hydrogen bomb sidecar that is triggered by a pacemaker attached to his heart. He's killed thousands of people with handmade knives that he's chipped out of plate glass, and his ultimate dream is to nuke the USA. Other than that, he's actually a pretty sympathetic character, and seemingly a genuinely decent guy.

Don't forget, he's got "POOR IMPULSE CONTROL" tatted on his forehead!

You know, I sort of imagined Snow Crash as an anime-style movie rather than live-action because it was so zany. I'm sure both styles could work given the right director.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augustus Medici
Yes, I've read all the way through Chapterhouse. I tried reading House Atreides, but I couldn't stomach it. All of Brian Herbert's efforts are like fanfic, so I've since stopped.

I think Dune is pretty underrated these days. Hopefully, somebody can do for it what Peter Jackson did for Lord of the Rings and introduce Herbert's masterpiece to a new generation. With the recent interest in Islam (for obvious reasons), perhaps the time will be ripe for a righteous movie adaptation in the near future. Just imagine a well done Dune saga on the silver screen
inlove.gif

And by the way, f*ck Harry Potter.

I keep hoping for this, but I don't think I'm ever going to get my wish. Adapting Dune for the movies is much more difficult that LoTR, which is just a nice story. There's so much going on in Dune that it would be hard to get right. I mean look at what's been attempted... The David Lynch movie was horrible. The first mini-series was ok, but the follow-up was horrible. The productions values were pretty bad. I keep hoping for a great adaptation, but I think I'm gonna have to make do with the books. It's too bad too, because Herbert captures so many trends in human history.

I've read all the new books too btw. What can I say, they're good for a fix... They're not as good as the originals, but they're not horrible either. They lack the depth that Herbert's had. The plot-lines are more just telling a story, whereas Herbert was commenting on a whole number of issues. One of the things I really liked in the first books are the little quotations at the beginning of every chapter. Some of them were very insightful, especially the manner in which he distilled some patterns in human history or behavior. They're totally lacking in the new ones.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to reading Dune 7, but since it's being published in two parts, I'm waiting until fall so that I can read them back to back. I'm gonna re-read the first six books after I finish the two books I'm working on now (Decline and Fall & Augustus).

Dune would definitely get my vote for best series ever.

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Lord Henry in "Dorian Gray;" Sula in "Sula;" Napolean in "Animal Farm," O'Brien in "1984"

Hahahaha nice touch with the font.
worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads