• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Kung Fu Movie??

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am really craving a Kung Fu movie binge right before school starts up again. I've seen a lot in the past, but I've forgotten a lot of them. What are some of your favorites?

Mine are off the top of my head:

Wing Chun
The Prodigal Son
Rikki-Oh: The Legend of Rikki (not sure if this is the real title)
Iron Monkey
Drunken Master

What are some good ones that have come out in the past decade? I just watched Rumble in the Bronx, and for some reason, I really love that movie.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of Bruce Lee movies

Early Jet Li movies are also great.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crouching Tiger. I'm mesmerized by the fight scenes every time that I watch it. It's like a dance.

oceans11

Reaction score
Chinese Connection
Enter The Dragon (of course)
The Flying Guillotine

SystemShock

Reaction score
I know it's not strictly serious at all, but I really liked Kung-Fu Hustle.
biggrin.gif

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SystemShock
I know it's not strictly serious at all, but I really liked Kung-Fu Hustle.
biggrin.gif

Yeah that movie is pretty badass. I have it on Bluray and just watched it last week. I laughed.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a thread for this you know.
smile.gif
Shaolin Master Killer Iron Monkey Fist Of Legend and The Chinese Connection Magnificent Butcher If you liked Rumble in the Bronx, watch Police Story. Five Deadly Venoms A Chinese Ghost Story Not Kung Fu - Thai Boxing/stunts movie - but Ong-Bak was pretty good (though leaping through the air and elbowing people in the head gets a little bit old - but the stunts are worth it) Bloodsport Knockabout Once Upon a Time in China Unleashed Kid With The Golden Arm Also, although its not a Kung Fu films, I sort of liked Finishing The Game - a mockumentary about finishing Game of Death after Bruce Lee's passing. Its funny.
smile.gif
And although I really cannot stand watching this movie for various reasons - Kung Pow! Enter The Fist is actually somewhat funny. (in parts... and absolutely horrible in other parts)

SystemShock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
Yeah that movie is pretty badass. I have it on Bluray and just watched it last week. I laughed.
Yeah, it's AWESOME! I LOVE the element of the absurd/funny in kung-fu films! Which makes me remember that Shao-Lin Soccer was also awesomely ridiculous.
smile.gif
But... the most absurd scene in a kung-fu film... ever? Hmm... Unfortunately, I can't remember the film, it was one of those they show on Kung-Fu Theatre on TV at like 2am in the morning. There's a 'nine-dot monk' in it, an old guy with literally nine spots arranged in a 3x3 pattern on his forehead (a mark of great rank, I gathered). With him is his young, talented kung-fu apprentice. So, there's just the two of them, that's it. It's near the end of the film, and they travel to the evil warlord's city to confront and kill him. They slowly walk into this courtyard surrounded by several buildings. Suddenly, HUNDREDS of the warlord's henchmen flood out from all the buildings. They do all these camera pans, and the walkways under the pagodas are literally STUFFED with extras, several deep, in all directions. So are all balconies. It's like a standing-room-only concert. There's basically like 900 guys there, all about ready to charge and wipe the two good guys out. The old monk takes it all in, then turns slowly to his apprentice. What does he say, in this dire situation? "Good. Now we can get them all." And then they proceed to KILL ALL 900 GUYS. So far beyond awesome it's insane. I love kung-fu films.
worship.gif

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
smile.gif

Shaolin Master Killer
Iron Monkey
Fist Of Legend and The Chinese Connection
Magnificent Butcher
If you liked Rumble in the Bronx, watch Police Story.
Five Deadly Venoms
A Chinese Ghost Story

Not Kung Fu - Thai Boxing/stunts movie - but Ong-Bak was pretty good (though leaping through the air and elbowing people in the head gets a little bit old - but the stunts are worth it)

I've seen Iron Monkey, Fist of Legend, The Chinese Connection, and Police Story. All equally badass. I have a soft spot for Fist of Legend though. Man that was so awesome. Is A Chinese Ghost Story the same as the Bride with White Hair?

Ong-bak was also pretty cool. The fight scenes in the sequel are pretty ridiculous as well, when he fights with the elephant bones. Pretty crazy ****.

I'll check out Magnificent Butcher and Five Deadly Venoms though, if I can get a hold of them.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Legend of Drunken Master period.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know what movie is actually pretty good? Black Mask was awesome. The soundtrack was the **** too. Really gritty.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
Is A Chinese Ghost Story the same as the Bride with White Hair?
Negative.
Ong-bak was also pretty cool. The fight scenes in the sequel are pretty ridiculous as well, when he fights with the elephant bones. Pretty crazy ****.
The Protector wasn't as good, IMO. It wasn't a sequel though. Ong Bak2 actually JUST opened in Hong Kong a few days ago, and should be working its way over here sometime this summer. There were a lot of problems with making it (like Tony Jaa trying to direct and star for the first time - having a nervous breakdown and wandering off into the Jungle for a month
frown.gif
) but early reports are that the movie is amazing. Though its also not technically a sequel. I hear that its more like a loose prequel set in a historical era (which makes very little sense to me, but whatever)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
I'll check out Magnificent Butcher and Five Deadly Venoms though, if I can get a hold of them.
Classics!

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Five Elements Ninjas (Shaw Brothers Movies (Black Belt Theatre)

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
smile.gif

Five Deadly Venoms

One of my favorite quotes is when the Toad says "I have no weak points!"

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original Drunken Master with Jackie Chan, Fist of Legend with Jet Li, and Fearless with Jet Li.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads