• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Khakis?

insomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
When talking about fit and recommending brands people should mention their weight/height and possibly provide a fit pic, otherwise this discussion is not overly useful. For example, Wings+Horns chinos do not look good on someone real skinny, but on a slim guy with slightly more heft they can look pretty good. Likewise the Mr. Olive chinos that I like fit me superbly, but a lot people could not fit into them due to the tighter thighs. Also, where can Save Khaki be bought reliably on-line? I've always found this brand to be kind of obscure with largely only people in NYC being aware of it.
I couldn't find anywhere online that sells, but I didn't look very hard either. Let me know if you run across something. I bought a shirt from them a while back as well, wasn't really aware that it was Save Khaki until just now, but they have some nice sportier shirts too, which are equally as soft and comfy. I agree Wings+Horn is too baggy for my taste, at least what I saw, looks slightly bigger than Gap/Jcrew. Save Khaki is slimmer but still kinda' relaxed... definitely not restricting or skinny fit. To give an idea I am 5'8 and about 135-140lbs, 30 fit me perfect. An appropriate slim fit and lightweight in contrast to most american mall slim fits with very thick cotton that's too hot for summer. I am really pleased with them and plan on purchasing more. Maybe check Saks online but I doubt it, various barney coop stores carry it too.

booger

Reaction score
Hate to bump an old thread, but does anyone have anymore insight on the Real McCoys Blue Seal chinos? Want to make a solid, lasting chino purchase and these are calling me. Any help is appreciated.

jack london

Reaction score
Originally Posted by booger
Hate to bump an old thread, but does anyone have anymore insight on the Real McCoys Blue Seal chinos? Want to make a solid, lasting chino purchase and these are calling me. Any help is appreciated.
Got some khaki blue seal chinos last year. Normally take a 32" waist but found 34" was the best fit. The quality is amazing, these trousers are bullet proof - really thick material with a nice sheen plus the detailing is tremendous. Thinking about getting another pair in navy

gululv

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a pair of blue seal chinos myself, but unsure about the sizing. I am normally a tagged size 33, but I think the actual waist size on my pants are more like 34 or more often. Any advice?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
jl and gul...have you checked these out? http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28 http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28 the fabric looks similar to what r-m uses, but with a slimmer cut. not sure if you want a "modern" fit or not, but the big chino's really are very impressive. if you look at the big sizing chart, the b-s's appear to be an inch smaller then the tag size in the waist. my big chinos that use a similar fabric stretch about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch in the waist. so as long as the thigh measurements are okay in a 34 i would do those gul.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
big recommendation on Kato chinos, great slimmish cut and really dense nice fabric.

gululv

Reaction score
Thank you whatever.
The Blue in Green chinos are nice too, but I like the colour on the Real MCoy's better. But it's sold out both from BIG and Inventory now, and very expensive from Superdenim.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^

oh cool. i think gordon will special order for you if you send him a note and rm has them in stock. he has special ordered thinks for me too, but make sure you order the correct size so he doesnt get stuck with it if it doesnt fit. but im sure you know this...

gululv

Reaction score
Thanks. Seems like a size 35 would have been best for me, but this doesn't exist it seems like. Need to do some measurments.

gululv

Reaction score
Any first hand experience with these pants anyone? Do they fit loose/tight? Will they shrink as much as one inch when washing?
The sizes are different according to which website you look at. The Japanese stores says a size 36 is a real 35.8, and should shrink to about 34.8, which should work fine for me. But any larger would be a problem I think.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a pair of these, 33 waist have shrunk an inch, as I wanted, after 2 gentle cold washes/hang dry. For me (5'11", 160 lbs) a perfect fit for work. Not super-slim, lower rise but still work tucked in with button-down or patterned shirt. The fabric has a slight sheen to it that is fading a bit after washing. I wanted the med. blue but they were sold out; restock in 2011.

$185 is a little stiff but USA made and bomber construction. BTW inseam is 34.25" unwashed, I believe, and has shrunk an inch or so. BiG has free alterations; just need to find excuse to go down to SoHo on lunch break.

If you want a more trad fit, you can't go wrong with Bill's...their button fly originals basically started the high-end khaki industry...

Originally Posted by whatever123
jl and gul...have you checked these out?

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28
http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28

the fabric looks similar to what r-m uses, but with a slimmer cut. not sure if you want a "modern" fit or not, but the big chino's really are very impressive.

if you look at the big sizing chart, the b-s's appear to be an inch smaller then the tag size in the waist. my big chinos that use a similar fabric stretch about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch in the waist. so as long as the thigh measurements are okay in a 34 i would do those gul.

acularw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peter1
I just bought a pair of these, 33 waist have shrunk an inch, as I wanted, after 2 gentle cold washes/hang dry. For me (5'11", 160 lbs) a perfect fit for work. Not super-slim, lower rise but still work tucked in with button-down or patterned shirt. The fabric has a slight sheen to it that is fading a bit after washing. I wanted the med. blue but they were sold out; restock in 2011.

$185 is a little stiff but USA made and bomber construction. BTW inseam is 34.25" unwashed, I believe, and has shrunk an inch or so. BiG has free alterations; just need to find excuse to go down to SoHo on lunch break.

If you want a more trad fit, you can't go wrong with Bill's...their button fly originals basically started the high-end khaki industry...

The BiG chinos look really nice, but I am not a fan of the tag on the back. I would almost exclusively be wearing these for work with button down shirts tucked in. A high contrast logo tag would look out of place.

I would prefer either no logo or something the stitched in the same color like Dockers. Currently leaning towards Epaulet's chinos (http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...British/Detail). They are also $40 less than BiG.

takashi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acularw
The BiG chinos look really nice, but I am not a fan of the tag on the back. I would almost exclusively be wearing these for work with button down shirts tucked in. A high contrast logo tag would look out of place.

I would prefer either no logo or something the stitched in the same color like Dockers. Currently leaning towards Epaulet's chinos (http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...British/Detail). They are also $40 less than BiG.

Epaulet chino looks nice, good price too
smile.gif

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acularw
The BiG chinos look really nice, but I am not a fan of the tag on the back. I would almost exclusively be wearing these for work with button down shirts tucked in. A high contrast logo tag would look out of place. I would prefer either no logo or something the stitched in the same color like Dockers. Currently leaning towards Epaulet's chinos (http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...British/Detail). They are also $40 less than BiG.
but there not the same chino. big's uses different material, button, stitches, etc. plus, the ones big has are made in japan...he wont tell me who is making these but i suspect (given his hints) is it was a collab with oni. they simply are not the same thing. that is why they cost more...its a better chino!

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by takashi
Epaulet chino looks nice, good price too
smile.gif

I have a pair of the Epaulet chinos -- the metal rivet fly ones -- in an olive sort of rip-stop cotton. It's a more dressy, tailored fit than BiG. Nice details like taped outer sears and in-line change pocket. Not, however, for the broad of build...thighs are definitely on the skinny side. Epaulet pants at $140-200 IMO are a great deal, but of course I worry that with their recent expansion some of the quality may go by the wayside.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics