1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best Items at Trader Joe's

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by randallr, Feb 9, 2011.

1. acularw

acularw Senior member

The prepackaged tuna in curry sauce for $1.49 is my favorite thing.

The location I go to is usually pretty busy, but what I like is that I can just make one circle through the store and get 90% of what I need without having to hunt down 20 different mega-grocery store aisles. Yeah, some of their produce sucks, but I think they are the best overall value of any grocery store (at least in Minneapolis).

2. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

Just went to one for the first time in years a few days ago just cause I was next to it. The tomato basil humus is awesome. It was gone in 24 hours. The greek yogurt is a good buy, 8 oz for 1.29.

Lots of hot moms too. But I'm still a fresh and sleazy kinda guy.

3. willpower

willpower Senior member

Just went to one for the first time in years a few days ago just cause I was next to it. The tomato basil humus is awesome. It was gone in 24 hours. The greek yogurt is a good buy, 8 oz for 1.29.

Lots of hot moms too. But I'm still a fresh and sleazy kinda guy.

Talk about Greek yogurt!

4. hugeevilrobot

hugeevilrobot Well-Known Member

Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup.
    Really good back-up lunch in case I don't have time to cook something.

Another vote for this, always good to have some on hand, and goes awesome with grilled cheese.

Their Indian sauces are also quite good, not as good as the real thing obviously, but not bad cooked up in a clay pot with chicken and veggies for a good lazy dinner.

5. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

The pumpkin tart available only in autumn.

Unlike most pumpkin pies, this has the perfect ratio of pumpkin to crust. Pumpkin is well seasoned with cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. The crust is nice and thick, but not hard.

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I really like their frozen foods, particularly the butter chicken and lamb vindaloo. Their honey-flavored greek yogurt is delish as well, although a bit on the thinner side, texturally.

7. adidasfan

adidasfan Senior member

#1 Chocalote covered Macadamia nuts
    #2 Chocalote covered granola bars
    #3 Maple Pecan Ceral
    #4 French Bread
    #5 Chocaloate Truffles

8. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

TJ's is my local source for dark chocolate Quadratini. I am an addict.

The pre-fab tuna curry is my "I can't stand the idea of cooking and am too lazy/tired/etc" meal.

9. randallr

randallr Senior member

TJ's is my local source for dark chocolate Quadratini. I am an addict.

The pre-fab tuna curry is my "I can't stand the idea of cooking and am too lazy/tired/etc" meal.

What about beer selection at TJ's? Pretty good deals there? I don't mind any of their house beers.

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    yeah, i buy my beer there. usually red hawk. they've been getting some stone IPA here lately, too.

11. randallr

randallr Senior member

yeah, i buy my beer there. usually red hawk. they've been getting some stone IPA here lately, too.

I had my first Stone IPA last night. It was pretty good. Does yours sell normal sized singles to create your own 6pack?

12. 1969

1969 Senior member

Vacuum fried pineapple.

13. Eponym

Eponym Well-Known Member

What about beer selection at TJ's? Pretty good deals there? I don't mind any of their house beers.

Can't beat the Vintage Ale for under $5.

14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

I had my first Stone IPA last night. It was pretty good. Does yours sell normal sized singles to create your own 6pack?

hmmm,never asked. i'm not much of a beer connoisseur. i just like it with some food. so i usually just pick up a six of something to have in the fridge.

15. otc

otc Senior member

The ones in chicago do although I am not sure if you can pick and choose from everything or only what they provide as singles. I only know this because I saw someone trying to buy 2-3 beers (they had a euro accent and were confused) and they were explaining that the city won't let them sell mismatched beers in quantities less than 4.

16. randallr

randallr Senior member

The ones in chicago do although I am not sure if you can pick and choose from everything or only what they provide as singles. I only know this because I saw someone trying to buy 2-3 beers (they had a euro accent and were confused) and they were explaining that the city won't let them sell mismatched beers in quantities less than 4.

Nice. See...I think some do and some don't. That's a damn weird regulation.

17. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

could well be it's not their choice. regulation of alcohol sales in the US is about as arcane as anything you can possibly imagine. every state, county, municipality, in some cases even voting precinct, can determine their own rules.

18. randallr

randallr Senior member

could well be it's not their choice. regulation of alcohol sales in the US is about as arcane as anything you can possibly imagine. every state, county, municipality, in some cases even voting precinct, can determine their own rules.

Well I can do it at other stores in town so I think it must be them.

19. otc

otc Senior member

Well I can do it at other stores in town so I think it must be them.

Liquor laws in chicago can vary by block...when I lived on the south side, you would get things like 57th st which was a dry street but 55th and 53rd were wet. Luckily this means chicago has a ton of BYOB places.

As far as selling mix and match beers though...the store may just not want to deal with it.

20. randallr

randallr Senior member

Liquor laws in chicago can vary by block...when I lived on the south side, you would get things like 57th st which was a dry street but 55th and 53rd were wet. Luckily this means chicago has a ton of BYOB places.

As far as selling mix and match beers though...the store may just not want to deal with it.

That's what I'm thinking. I can respect that.