1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best Items at Trader Joe's

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by randallr, Feb 9, 2011.

1. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

Almond butter. All others blow.

2. danilo

danilo Senior member

Organic Peanut butter is GREAT and cheap
    chipotle salsa - that's really good, and all natural
    flax covered organic chips - these go great with the salsa!

3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

have one a few blocks away but need to try some more of the stuff in this thread...

4. Valproate

Valproate Senior member

Decent beer selection, cheap (but drinkable) wines

5. willpower

willpower Senior member

Trader Joe's Coastal Chardonnay - $3.99 and it's easily equal to a $10 bottle of wine. Not bad for the price of a Starbucks drink.
    Their produce is atrocious.
    Maybe in the Midwest. Here in Cali it's very nice.

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    What is your overall take on this? You aren't really a natural food evangelist, but lean that way, so I am curious.
    i am not a natural food evangelist by any stretch of the imagination. i have no objection to the use of stabilizers ... where would alinea be without them[​IMG]
    i was just observing that when you buy a jar of tj almond butter, the oil will have separated from the paste and will need to be stirred back in. quite vigorously, actually.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

have one a few blocks away but need to try some more of the stuff in this thread...

+1. I'm still exploring TJs.

8. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Spicy Thai Peanut Vinaigrette salad dressing

9. haganah

haganah Senior member

The fruits and vegetables are gross. The white peaches in particular stand out in my mind.

They have a good price on the fage yogurt, their nut selections, frozen foods if you dislike "real" food, beers can have good prices but I've had some that had skunked up, the Irish butter was at a decent price, the organic baby salad packages, the spicy hummus and pita chips and that's about all I can think of right now. There is usually a farmers market across the street from the one I go to and I'd rather go there first and then TJ/WF.

10. watchcollector2454

watchcollector2454 Senior member

creamed honey
    some of their olives
    some of their salsas are quite nice

11. randallr

randallr Senior member

Are their olives and capers good?

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    the olives suck (they used to have canned kalamatas that were unpitted, but now everything is pitted). their capers are terrific, and a great buy. they also have giant capers ... at least they used to. nice garnish or addition to an antipasto platter. i'll also second whomever it was who suggested their dijon ... that's my standard brand.

13. Kyoung05

Kyoung05 Senior member

i am not a natural food evangelist by any stretch of the imagination. i have no objection to the use of stabilizers ... where would alinea be without them[​IMG]
    i was just observing that when you buy a jar of tj almond butter, the oil will have separated from the paste and will need to be stirred back in. quite vigorously, actually.

Just store the jar upside down. All of the oil that gets separated will float to the bottom of the jar, and when you flip it back over to open, the butter at the top will be relatively well-mixed. Be careful though, some jars leak when flipped over.

14. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Those special Christmas edition of the Joe Joe cookies were out of this world.

15. yerfdog

yerfdog Senior member

They used to have a condiment called tomato chutney that came in an 8 oz jar. I think this was discontinued recently as I haven't seen it but i could eat it with a spoon. Smoky, spicy, and sweet. Looked like burnt ketchup. That was the best culinary duct tape I have ever come across.
    This reminded me of their chipotle salsa that comes in a little jar. They have 2 different chipotle salsas, ne is like chipotle garlic or something and has a hippie looking label, not bad but not amazing. The other is just chipotle salsa, and the label has flames with a white background on it. Very few ingredients, very very delicious. Oh yeah, love the frozen garlic naan. Also I like Joe's O's better than Cheerios. They have a different texture and flavor, which I think is an improvement, unlike most store brand O cereals, which have a more light and styrofoamy texture and flavor than Cheerios.

16. yerfdog

yerfdog Senior member

ITT: worst TJ foods any of their butters (almond, peanut)
    Wait, what's is wrong with that stuff? It just tastes like regular natural peanut butter to me. Someone else mentioned whole nuts. They do have them for good prices. You'd think with like 70% of the world's almonds being grown in California we could get cheap almonds, but that is not the case anywhere but TJ and Costco.

17. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

soy-yaki sauce
    smoked oysters
    frozen indian food (all)
    swordfish steaks

shittty: all their fresh bread and coffee. all of it

mediocre: TJ beer isn't the worst but its far from the best

18. otc

otc Senior member

Beer.

I have scored the "mystery grab bag" before and it was awesome. It was like $6-7 for a bag with 12 beers in it (when the grocery store near me does this, it is their way of disposing of the leftovers from a case with a broken bottle...I assume TJ does the same thing). Sure you get a can or two of Simple Times but it is definitely more than worth the money.

If I ever see them doing it again, I am buying whatever they have left.

19. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

the olives suck (they used to have canned kalamatas that were unpitted, but now everything is pitted). their capers are terrific, and a great buy. they also have giant capers ... at least they used to. nice garnish or addition to an antipasto platter. i'll also second whomever it was who suggested their dijon ... that's my standard brand.
    Have you ever worked with raw caperberries? I thought it would be cool to try dry curing them, but I can't find where to get any.

20. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

The Tangerine juice when its in season