Best inexpensive jeans

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Bradford, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I don't really want to pay $100 or more for a pair of day-to-day jeans, so what do you guys think is a good brand of inexpensive jeans that I can pick up at the mall?

I have in mind brands like American Eagle, Gap, Abercrombie, Guess, Levi's, Old Navy etc.

I am pretty much ruling out brands like Paper Denim Cloth, Earnest Sewn, Seven for all Mankind, True Religion, etc. for this purchase.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Bradford

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I hate to say this but since all of the above mentioned possibilities are equally evil in my eye, I would say that GAP 1969 generally have some really nice looking fits, and they use Kurabo denim (the same denim from PDC). I would put my money there, they're probably the best bet for under $100 and could sell for more if they needed to.

3. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

I'd say if you have a nordstrom rack around you should go check out their denim selection. They frequently have diesels, PDC, sevens etc for about 70 bucks.
    Another option would be Saks Off 5th, but I havent seen anything quite as cheap there (more around 90$).

4. Sway23

Sway23 Active Member

Yeah, I second Nordstrom Rack. They have some pretty nice denim deals there occasionally. I picked up a few pair of JP Da'mage jeans there for ~$80-$90 each not too long ago.

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

nice avatar Garrett...

6. YMark

YMark Well-Known Member

Another option is Last Call (Nieman Marcus). I picked up a pair of Ernest Sewn jeans for $80.

7. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

None of these are really answering his question, though. What's the best pair of jeans you can get at the mall for under $100, assuming that you're not getting them on sale, and aren't doing a lot of legwork to find them?

8. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I suggest RL Polo jeans as a possibility; though most of their cuts don't do much for me, if you are looking for a looser fit they seem to use quality denim (I beat my pair to death for a year or so with little damage) and the washes are mostly tasteful.

Edit: Oh yeah, and they are only like $60 MSRP IIRC.

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

My vote is with GAP 1969.

10. ringring

ringring Senior member

I also pick Gap. Good fabric, decent fit and sewing quality. Washes can be a bit hit and miss, (but then the same could be said of all brands) but the simple rinse wash jeans are good value. They had some very nice lightweight plain weave jeans this summer which wouldn't have been out of place in a 'premium' collection. Lee (in particular Lee Europe & Lee Japan, do some very nice inexpensive jeans), same goes for Edwin and Uniqlo (do the malls have to be in the US? [​IMG] )

11. j

Good call CTGuy, I hadn't thought of J. Crew. I had a pair of dark rinse jeans from them that honestly, if I knew then what I know now about washing them (or not washing them, as the case may be) I might still have them. As it was, they shrank too much and I had to give them up. But they showed no signs of stopping after constant wear for most of a year, and they looked good. I never think of them as a place for jeans but their jeans have always been surprisingly good.

Gap jeans use mediocre fabric in my experience - the pairs I've seen/had have gotten the short-fiber fraying syndrome really quickly.

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I dont know how to respond, I would just say that I think the GAP 1969 fabric is a very nice quality, and yea they do rip in the knees but theyre more durable than PDCs or Rogans...

13. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

I've got a couple of pairs from H&M which seem quite sturdy, didn't cost a lot and come in a plain dark rinse with no fake fading and so forth.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned H&M yet.

14. j

I was thinking of the regular Gap line, not the 1969, so maybe that's where the discrepancy comes in. I haven't really seen the 1969 line much aside from new in the store.

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

the best mall jeans i ever picked up were selvage jeans from Banana Republic that were on sale for $25, retailing for $90.

*I* would just go to sears or JCPenney and get a pair of regular 501xx shrink to fit, or preshrunk for about $35, or Old Navy as a coworker wears a pair he got for $25 that look pretty damn good....for me i like my jeans REALLY cheap or $$$, i'm not too keen on anything that's available 'in the middle-range' prices around $100