1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best in Books, Music, and Movies for 2004

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Aaron, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Aaron

Aaron Distinguished Member

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering what your favourite books, music, and movies were for 2004. Hopefully we can give each other a few ideas. Anyways, here's mine-

Books
    ~Mountains Beyond Mountains : The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, a Man Who Would Cure the World by Tracey Kidder
    ~The Wisdom of Crowds by James Surowiecki

Music
    ~"Good News for People that Like Bad News" -Modest Mouse  
    ~"Our Endless Numbered Days" -Iron & Wine
    ~"College Dropout" -Kanye West
    ~"A Grand Don't Come for Free" -The Streets

Movies
    ~The Life Aquatic
    ~Ray
    ~Before Sunset
    ~Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    ~Touching the Void
    ~Motorcycle Diaries

Aaron

2. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior Member

Music:
    Andy Bey - American Song. Jazz standards, performed by a master.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat has shaken things up. Some publications are calling it the best album of the year, others are shying away because it's too different. Personally, I enjoy the eclecticism of it, and it's a wonderful piece of work on all accounts. However, Animal Collective's "Sung Tongs" has been my favorite album of the year since the first time I heard it. I would put BB at #2. The Arcade Fire cannot be ignored either, no one really saw an orchestral indie rock record coming out of nowhere this year. However, I would not say "Funeral" is the top album of the year, although it would undoubtedly be in my top 10.

The biggest new thing this year has to be the neo-folk movement. Iron & Wine, Vetiver, Devendra Banhart, Joanna Newsom, Sufjan Stevens (and Animal Collective in some respects). The indie scene will get sick of it just like they did dance-punk last year.

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

On the subject of movies, I would say that Sideways is the best film of the year, followed by Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Garden State is pretty good, but is more a demonstration of Zach Braff's potential as a director and actor than it is a masterpiece. One of the better teen films since Donnie Darko, though.