• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Iconic Sunglasses?

Tuscan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are great! Which brand is that?
Thanks
Those are not from a brand actually
I had them made ‘bespoke’ (not sure the term can be used for eye wear) and had the pleasure to define the exact design with the maker, choose the horn plate…
I kept the plate after the frame and temples were cut out of it. See photo

I had posted on the forum another pair i had got made in the same way in the past

Attachments

• 450E5B09-A3BD-4115-9F6D-2F20C4374D4D.jpeg
    450E5B09-A3BD-4115-9F6D-2F20C4374D4D.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 101

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I am not sure what this type of shape is called but it works well for me on most occasions

So...who made them?

Still love my vintage late 70's Cazals - this was their classic 'aviator' style: I removed the original dark green lenses and replaced with gold-flash ones (of necessity progressive tri-focal prescription ones ---- age brings another whole set of issues!)

Badass.

Tuscan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So...who made them?

Badass.
I did not mean to be secretive but it is a small artisan in France, not a high profile and famous one like Maison Bonnet. It is located in a small town near my country house.
It is pretty low profile but the guy is very skilled and has received the title of best artisan in France in his trade. Not sure how this works but it is awarded every few years and is a highly regarded recognition

Sir Jack II

Reaction score
Is there a decent eyewear company out there that makes sunglasses that cost less than $700? If I'm not interested in spending more than, say, $2-300, does that mean I'm limited to the hegemony of Luxottica?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is there a decent eyewear company out there that makes sunglasses that cost less than $700? If I'm not interested in spending more than, say, $2-300, does that mean I'm limited to the hegemony of Luxottica?

There are lots of companies that sell eyewear for less than $200-300. Personally, I think it's more important to find something that suits your face and style, rather than focus solely on quality and/ or whether something is associated with Luxottica.

In the past, I bought the "iconic" sunglasses from Ray Ban and Persol. I mostly let all of them go because they just didn't work for me.

Hard to recommend companies below $300 because there are so many and it depends on your taste, face shape, wardrobe, etc.

doofalb

Reaction score
Thanks
Those are not from a brand actually
I had them made ‘bespoke’ (not sure the term can be used for eye wear) and had the pleasure to define the exact design with the maker, choose the horn plate…
I kept the plate after the frame and temples were cut out of it. See photo

Nice! Even better with the background story ? Too bad I never make top France, I'd probably drive a few hundred kilometers to give that guy a visit...although I m sure I wouldn't like the price tag.

I would categorize that as a pair of grail frames rather icons ???:fistbump:

Last edited:

Tuscan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! Even better with the background story ? Too bad I never make top France, I'd probably drive a few hundred kilometers to give that guy a visit...although I m sure I wouldn't like the price tag.

I would categorize that as a pair of grail frames rather icons ???:fistbump:
Thank you

Here is the first pair I had made by this artisan. This one is not prescription.
I asked him to engrave, on the inside of one temple, the outline of a mountain range not far from my home at the time and where I particularly enjoy going to

Attachments

• IMG_4659.JPG
    IMG_4659.JPG
    482.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4660.JPG
    IMG_4660.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 112

jdgershbein

Reaction score
One thing to know about me: I only wear round frames.

I've been a dyed-in-the-wool Matsuda fan ever since I serendipitously met up with a rep who was selling the designs to my optician back in the early 1990s. They caught my eye immediately (pun intended!) He extolled the merits of the company and the exclusivity of their designs. I have many Matsuda pairs, including some of the rarer pieces that Linda Hamilton wore in Terminator 2. I also have a few Gaultier pairs that I love.

Lately, though, I have been veering away from brands and going the custom route, investing in a few pairs of buffalo horn and some outlandish German styles -- you know, to indulge my artistic, right-brain-dominant personality.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, you can get Tom Ford for about $100 more. Vintage Ray-Bans can also be had for that price, and the older ones are much better quality/shape, IMO.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also have a few Gaultier pairs that I love.
I still have a pair of Gaultier frames from the early 1990s, when JPG made some some crazy but beautiful frames. Have not worn them in a couple of decades, but have recently thought of using them again as prescription sunglasses.

MugenMujushin

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, and for the interesting suggestions. Justin I sent you a PM reply.

I think I've checked out all the Brands mentioned here so far. I found this crazy brand: "Parasite Eyewear" which makes some pretty wild designs, some of which get ridiculous, like the Hero X: https://www.goodseeco.com/collections/parasite/?sort_by=price-descending

However, somebody mentioned the product quality doesn't match the pricing, and they also don't use the best materials like titanium.

So far my favorites are Matsuda 10610H, and Dita Epiluxury 4, but I'm still looking around to see what's out there, especially regarding "Sport Sunglasses".

It looks like Gaultier Sunglasses aren't being made anymore, right?

jdgershbein can you post photos of your Gaultier, and Custom-Made Eyewear?

jdgershbein

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, and for the interesting suggestions. Justin I sent you a PM reply.

I think I've checked out all the Brands mentioned here so far. I found this crazy brand: "Parasite Eyewear" which makes some pretty wild designs, some of which get ridiculous, like the Hero X: https://www.goodseeco.com/collections/parasite/?sort_by=price-descending

However, somebody mentioned the product quality doesn't match the pricing, and they also don't use the best materials like titanium.

So far my favorites are Matsuda 10610H, and Dita Epiluxury 4, but I'm still looking around to see what's out there, especially regarding "Sport Sunglasses".

It looks like Gaultier Sunglasses aren't being made anymore, right?

jdgershbein can you post photos of your Gaultier, and Custom-Made Eyewear?
Certainly. I am currently on vacation and did not take the Gaultier pairs with me. I shall do so upon my return. I currently waiting on gradient lenses for a horn pair, too.

LuxLemon

Reaction score
I picked up District Vision Nagata Speed Blades. I’ve never seen a pair of sport glasses like that before and had to have them. Currently sold out basically everywhere. The black with dark lenses is the most versatile and a great pairing with athleisure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads