• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Iconic Sunglasses?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a word of warning about Steve McQueen style 649 / 714 Persols.
I was interested in them for the iconic history and tried some. They come in a couple of sizes but even the smaller one looks HYOOGE on me so I moved them on.

It’s not always easy to do so but sunglasses are like hats and you’ve really gotta try them on. Some may look great in pictures online or on movie stars in a film but just don’t work with your head / face shape.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

when I was in high school, Vuarnet were the ****! All the cool kids wore them. When Terminator came out Gargoyles got big for a while. Most of the black guys wore Cazals. Some of the kids wore Porsche Design.

My only problem with Vuarnet at this stage in my life is that they’re a little too sporty. Their definitely purpose built and do a good job at that I’m sure. I just prefer the look of Persol.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when I was in high school, Vuarnet were the ****! All the cool kids wore them. When Terminator came out Gargoyles got big for a while. Most of the black guys wore Cazals. Some of the kids wore Porsche Design.

My only problem with Vuarnet at this stage in my life is that they’re a little too sporty. Their definitely purpose built and do a good job at that I’m sure. I just prefer the look of Persol.

Same here, and I grew up in a major ski destination area (Reno). You saved up hard to get that first pair of "Nays." I still have mine, a pair of black 083's. They're a bit dinged up (which you don't notice if you're wearing them), but somehow I hung onto them all these years. They don't get a ton of wear, which goes to my Persols and Wayfarers, but I break them out once in awhile.

dogjaeja

Reaction score
My father and I are fans of BluBlockers because they are very affordable.
They fit my face well and it's not a big loss if I damage or misplace a pair.

Blublocker-Demi-Tortoise-Nylon-Zach-Galifianakis-big-2.jpg
blublocker-Michael-Caine-Going-in-Style_0.jpg

I would like to upgrade to a nicer pair though - basically the same shape and design but at a higher quality.
There are a few that I've seen to be close - but they usually have a gap or branding between the lenses.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another classic variation of the aviator style are the Cartier (Santos de Cartier) sunglasses. They have the screw motif on them which matches the design of some of their wrist watches. They also come with a leather piece that goes over the bridge of the glasses, but I neve use it. I own a few pairs from Maui Jim, Persol, Rayban,and many years ago Porsche Design, Serengetti, Giorgio Armani, Lanvin, and JPG.

https%3A//i.imgur.com/y3h531V.jpg[/img]']

Tuscan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what this type of shape is called but it works well for me on most occasions

Attachments

• 02052E75-90A0-4FBE-93B4-7BFCAC50BFA3.jpeg
    02052E75-90A0-4FBE-93B4-7BFCAC50BFA3.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 134

LucasFilms

Reaction score
In my opinion Persol is quite iconic, although as Thin White Duke said above, there are sunglasses that fit a certain face shape better than others. That's why I find difficut changing styles when it comes to eyewear, prescription glasses or sunglasses. For me the best fitting eyewear is rectangular, so this can be stretched only so far.. there are some shapes that just don't look good on me.

For instance the original Persol 649 is kind of bulky, and for me the PO9649S fits better. The frame and the temples are not so thick, feels like "lighter" sunglasses, not so bulky.

I tend to like Persol acetate frames a lot, although sometimes I buy other styles like this:

Now I am considering buying this one, but I don't know if it is worth to pay for expensive sunglasses, when I will have to get prescription on them, so I will be paying for good lenses that will be substituted by the prescription lenses:

Another issue is the color of the glasses frames and lenses. In my opinion it is best if it matches your hair. So I tend to stick to black or gray (I have black hair), and avoid stuff like gold rims..

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I haven't seen Rolf mentioned yet. Cool designs with innovative materials, like 3d printed plant-baded plastics. The wooden frames are absolutely stunning in person (and run north of $1,000).

LucasFilms

Reaction score
Another brand of eyewear that is interesting is Tipton. It is based in Budapest.

ClassicStyle1950

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was gifted some Matsuda 10610H Sunglasses: https://www.matsuda.com/products/10610h-sunglass?variant=32363595169841 I like the iconic look of them, with the perforated side-shields, etc.

I don't know much about sunglasses, so I did some browsing online, and found some interesting designs.

I like the Dita Epiluxury 4s: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0670/0433/products/811005035665-2_2000x.jpg?v=1609361873

And the Balmain Brigade Series looks pretty cool too: https://www.goodseeco.com/collectio...ducts/balmain-brigade-iii-palladium-brown-sun

I'm curious about what all is out there, in terms of cool sunglasses. Any thoughts on some of the best, iconic sunglasses?

Also, any recommendations for good online Sunglasses Forums?

Let me know, thanks.
Anything that has Persol on it. The best!

Nigel Scott-Williams

Reaction score
Still love my vintage late 70's Cazals - this was their classic 'aviator' style: I removed the original dark green lenses and replaced with gold-flash ones (of necessity progressive tri-focal prescription ones ---- age brings another whole set of issues!)

Attachments

• Insta_DSC02459cr.jpg
    Insta_DSC02459cr.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 129

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads