• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Iconic Sunglasses?

MugenMujushin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was gifted some Matsuda 10610H Sunglasses: https://www.matsuda.com/products/10610h-sunglass?variant=32363595169841 I like the iconic look of them, with the perforated side-shields, etc.

I don't know much about sunglasses, so I did some browsing online, and found some interesting designs.

I like the Dita Epiluxury 4s: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0670/0433/products/811005035665-2_2000x.jpg?v=1609361873

And the Balmain Brigade Series looks pretty cool too: https://www.goodseeco.com/collectio...ducts/balmain-brigade-iii-palladium-brown-sun

I'm curious about what all is out there, in terms of cool sunglasses. Any thoughts on some of the best, iconic sunglasses?

Also, any recommendations for good online Sunglasses Forums?

Let me know, thanks.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously Ray Ban tear-drop aviators and wayferers. From a style perspective these are the two foundational icons. Sadly, the quality of the founding company isn't quite what it was.
1623543681662.jpeg

1623543738853.jpeg

Three others that I would add, and that have maintained their quality foundation, are:

Persol 649 and 714 (essentially the folding version of the 649 immortalized by Steve McQueen)

1623543860869.jpeg

1623543937303.jpeg

My fifth choice would be big ass ski sunglasses from Vuarnet in the 70s and 80s. As rocked by The Dude himself (obviously not how one dresses when he's out seeking employment).
vuarnet-legend-03-shiny-black-skilynx.jpg

MugenMujushin

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I probably should have said iconic, unique, cool, etc. sunglasses, but it doesn't look like I can edit my Title now.

I saw these Vuarnet Glacier Glasses while searching: https://us.vuarnet.com/products/glacier-medium-1315?variant=19460593844312

Some of the side-shields are pretty interesting, and there's a lot of variety to choose from. Some mixed reviews on that Model though.

Any idea on which Vuarnet Model was in The Big Lebowski?

If anybody knows of some good Sunglasses Forums (or other Sunglasses Resources) for information, let me know. There are so many Brands and Models out there, it's a lot to sort through.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you're already shopping at Dita's price tier, you might like Jacques Marie Mage. Many of their frames are unique. They are, however, a very specific kind of look.

There's a thread dedicated to them on the SWD side of the board.

There are also a couple of eyewear threads on that side of the forum. Just dig around

MugenMujushin

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion and the link. Synchronistically, I was just looking at Jacques Marie Mage sunglasses at Good See Co.

I read through a bit of your thread, and there's some interesting information in there.

So far the brands that look cool to me are Matsuda, Dita, and Jacques Marie Mage. Good See Co also lists some super-luxury brands like Maybach and Cartier, which are cool, but if I were to buy something, I'd also want a good value, and not pay too much.

I just got these cool Matsuda sunglasses, so I'm only looking at what's out there for now, but if I had a next top choice now, it might be the Dita Epiluxury 4s, unless I find something I like better from Jacques Marie Mage, or some other Maker.

I found this long list of Independent Eyeglass Makers, and I'll try to go through it all: https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/778bcv/a_list_of_independent_eyeglass_makers/

If you think of any other cool brands, or some other good information, please post it here.

Goofy

Reaction score
Apparently Leisure Society also belongs to the cream of the crop.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion and the link. Synchronistically, I was just looking at Jacques Marie Mage sunglasses at Good See Co.

I read through a bit of your thread, and there's some interesting information in there.

So far the brands that look cool to me are Matsuda, Dita, and Jacques Marie Mage. Good See Co also lists some super-luxury brands like Maybach and Cartier, which are cool, but if I were to buy something, I'd also want a good value, and not pay too much.

I just got these cool Matsuda sunglasses, so I'm only looking at what's out there for now, but if I had a next top choice now, it might be the Dita Epiluxury 4s, unless I find something I like better from Jacques Marie Mage, or some other Maker.

I found this long list of Independent Eyeglass Makers, and I'll try to go through it all: https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/778bcv/a_list_of_independent_eyeglass_makers/

If you think of any other cool brands, or some other good information, please post it here.

I mostly wear Dita and Jacques Margie Mage nowadays, but I also like David Kind, Garrett Leight, Native Sons, Eyevan 7285, Moscot, Mykita, Masahiro Maruyama, Salt, and Haffmans & Neumeister

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently Leisure Society also belongs to the cream of the crop.
I’m intrigued by LS but have yet to see a pair I can try on in person. Their website has free returns I think (bloody well should do at their prices!!). While JMM is more famous for their chunky acetate styles over wire rims, I’d say LS is more about precious metals - gold and titanium.

I have Vuarnet Edge and Vuarnet Ice - two very different styles from the famous maker of ski glasses. James Bond will wear Edges in the upcoming film.

I have Dita Spacecraft which haven’t been worn much yet but has to be one of the coolest in my entire stable.

For a bit lower budget check out Oliver Peoples and Garret Leight. I think both brands have been eaten up by Luxottica and the two originators (father and son) have started a new brand named Mr. Leight.

And I have a soft spot for Moscot. They might be considered a mid tier brand, more expensive and better made than Ray Ban and Warby Parker but cheaper than JMM. They have a ton of different styles all designed in house so a bit different from the ubiquitous Luxottica / Sunglass Hut stable of styles and the ones I have seem robust (wire core acetate, seven barrel hinges etc). They usually have several variations of colours in each style and sometimes have MTO events.

MugenMujushin

Reaction score

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously Ray Ban tear-drop aviators and wayferers. From a style perspective these are the two foundational icons. Sadly, the quality of the founding company isn't quite what it was.
View attachment 1623891
View attachment 1623892

Three others that I would add, and that have maintained their quality foundation, are:

Persol 649 and 714 (essentially the folding version of the 649 immortalized by Steve McQueen)

View attachment 1623893
View attachment 1623895

My fifth choice would be big ass ski sunglasses from Vuarnet in the 70s and 80s. As rocked by The Dude himself (obviously not how one dresses when he's out seeking employment).
vuarnet-legend-03-shiny-black-skilynx.jpg
Not going to post a fit pic to maintain some semblance of anonymity on here but wearing my well worn 714s today.
06440E48-296A-4D30-AB4C-8EC392AEA30D.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads