• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best height increasing insoles?

charles111

Reaction score
I'm average height, and I'm going to purchase some height raising insoles for use during special occasions. I bought this last week and I think it's pretty uncomfortable. I wear size 9-9.5 shoes and I feel like the insoles don't properly cover the sides at the front.

So I'm looking for suggestions on other insoles that people have tried with good success.

Also, what kind of shoes would these height shoes best fit in? Running shoes probably can't accommodate these insoles. What about sneakers like Air Maxes? Any other recommendations for shoes?

rjc149

Reaction score
There's a shorter guy I work with who is obviously wearing elevators, he's not fooling anyone. He's simply drawing attention to his insecurity. Don't be that guy.

You get a little height boost wearing normal shoes or boots. I would just make do with that.

I would also make peace with your height. This is more attractive than masquerading as someone 2-3 inches taller.

charles111

Reaction score
But what's the difference between doing something like this and women putting on makeup. i feel like all these "add-ons" are artificial

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But what's the difference between doing something like this and women putting on makeup. i feel like all these "add-ons" are artificial
I once added thick insoles to a pair of shoes that were bashing the lateral malleolus of my ankle. This made them uncomfortable in many other ways.

It's a dead end.

If you really want to increase your height, I'd wear cuban heeled boots with a dark suit at night.

It would look more intentional rather than a piece that's awkwardly forced into an outfit. You mentioned sneakers and insoles for use during special occasions, which is why I'm getting an image of a frankenstein outfit.

commandercup

Reaction score

Accentuating or exaggerating existing features (a la makeup) is a far cry from altering the proper function of a shoe to make you look taller.

Since it sounds like this isn’t for dressy occasions, just find some thick-soled sneakers or boots. Think AF1s, air maxes, etc. Your feet will thank you.

Edit: if you’re dead set on insoles—stick some heel pads or blocks in and forego the forefoot entirely.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're the same if you ignore socio-cultural context.

Wear lifts if you want, idk how much height they will offer. 1" or so? If that's worth it to you, then go for it.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Go to a cobbler and have him/her make you a 1/4 to 3/8 heel lift. Should be made out of leather. Highest dimension in the back feathering down to zero under the foremost part of the heel of your foot. You can keep them in place using Velcro and switch them in and out of your other shoes/boots.
It’s not a dramatic height difference but it’s safe and won’t compromise the fit of your shoe in the vamp area like an extra thick insole will.
They're the same if you ignore socio-cultural context.

Wear lifts if you want, idk how much height they will offer. 1" or so? If that's worth it to you, then go for it.

if you do an inch even a 1/2 your heel will slip out of the shoe and the lift will push your foot forward into the shoe cramping your toes.

satch69

Reaction score
shoes must fit well without any extra insoles, OR be designed to accommodate prescription inserts. Check out Alden's CDI and Modified lasts. However these are not designed for extra height.
Or get "platform" shoes.

rjc149

Reaction score
This question poses the analogy "why can't men behave like women."

If you were losing your hair, would you wear a toupee during special occasions, to appear more attractive?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm average height, and I'm going to purchase some height raising insoles for use during special occasions. I bought this last week and I think it's pretty uncomfortable. I wear size 9-9.5 shoes and I feel like the insoles don't properly cover the sides at the front.

So I'm looking for suggestions on other insoles that people have tried with good success.

Also, what kind of shoes would these height shoes best fit in? Running shoes probably can't accommodate these insoles. What about sneakers like Air Maxes? Any other recommendations for shoes?

I concur with those who suggest this is not a good idea.

To be perfectly candid, a shorter man who wears height adjusters looks like he is far too insecure. It does the opposite of what you want, which is to appear more confident and handsome.

I know it is upsetting to not feel satisfied with your height, but a man who can embrace who he is is usually someone who will command more respect and admiration than one who is trying desperately to make up for his short comings (no pun intended).

A cuban heel, while acceptable on say a cowboy boot, would also look silly on dress shoes. It would look effete, even.

We might be in a "post-gender society", or however you want to put it, but that isn't the facts on the street: the reality is that men are held to a different standard than women. Moreover, women who over do their makeup are usually scorned by other women. I would say this is closer not to "wearing makeup" but "caking it on".

If you must do this, you'd probably need orthotic shoes. And given orthotic shoes are usually rather ugly compared to non-orthotic shoes (there are exceptions: Alden and Allen Edmonds both used to make nice models of orthotic shoes, Alden especially) I would just recommend accepting the height you have.

Plus, if you are doing this as a "special occasion" thing, people will notice you're doing it.

It's like a man who wears a toupee can only do so if he ALWAYS wears his toupee and does so in a way that is not obvious.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
Don't go down this abyss of insecurity. Buy some cool boots with a heel and get some confidence.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads