• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best headphones for under $350

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

I have owned a few different pairs of high-end earphones before (currently using Monster Turbine Golds), but have always been dissatisfied with the fit of them in my ear canal. Trust me - I've tried every single eartip (foam, gel, etc.) out there, and have not found one yet to comfortably fit me.

As such, I'm in the market for a pair of nice headphones, with a budget of about $300 - $350 or so. I'm not an audiophile, and don't have any specific requirements, but was hoping that I could get some recommendations and suggestions for a good pair here. I've done some preliminary research and looked through reviews for headsets by Sennheiser, Bose (QC-15 and QC-3), and AKG, but it's all very confusing given that each of the headsets have an average rating of four/five stars, and all claim to be "the best."

It might be of relevance to note that I don't intend on purchasing an amp; some reviews that I've read have stated that I need an amp to get the maximum mileage out of some cans, but I'm really just looking for a pair that can be used without one.

Thanks in advance!

- Jonathan

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you pay more you can get earphones that are molded your ear and ear canal shape.

i would say dont go with bose unless you prefer noise cancelling simply because it's overpriced.

i have a pair of audio technica esw9s and i am very pleased. i think you can get the esw10 which is higher quality wood and drivers for 350. it's also one of the most beautiful headphones i've ever seen or used.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-ESW9A-Portable-Wooden-Headphones/dp/B002FTIDQC

this is the esw10

http://www.head-fi.org/t/382665/i-have-wood-review-of-esw10jpn-vs-ad2000

hard to come by

Last edited:

ErikW

Reaction score
I have the Sennheiser IE8's and they are super comfortable. Can't say I recommend them though - my right earbud crapped out after a few weeks. Apparently it's a common issue.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own the ESW9 posted above. They sound decent, are stylish and are very portable.

Off the top of my head other suggestions, Sennheiser HD600, Grado 325i, Ultrasone Pro 900, AKG701, Denon D2k. Check out reviews for them online and see what suits you.

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Audio Technica and Shure. Shure has great CS. 4 years ago I purchased a new pair for 60% off retail and when I eventually broke them, Shure sent we a free replacement. I believe it was the 4-series headphone

Nerkg

Reaction score
I own the ESW9 posted above. They sound decent, are stylish and are very portable.
Off the top of my head other suggestions, Sennheiser HD600, Grado 325i, Ultrasone Pro 900, AKG701, Denon D2k. Check out reviews for them online and see what suits you.

These need an amp to get any full potential, the best value overall would be the audio technica ath-m50, there's no other headphone in the conversation for unamped headphones in that price range, most high end ones need an amp or don't waste your money, they sound like earbuds without one

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, folks. Yes, I'm mainly looking for a pair of quality headsets that don't require an amp to use. However, after browsing through more and more reviews, it becomes increasingly apparent that an amp is probably necessary in order to take full advantage of any pair of hi-end headphones. I really like the Sennheiser 600s and would definitely purchase them, but am deterred by the fact that most reviews state that an amp is necessary in order to even boost up the volume of them to an acceptable level.

poissa

Reaction score
under what context will the cans be used 80% of the time?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One decision is whether you want in the ear, on the ear or over the ear headphones. I bought Grados but just couldn't get used to the on the ear feel. Yet, tons of people love them. So some of it is personal preference. I have owned both in the ear and over the ear headphones for 9 years.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These need an amp to get any full potential, the best value overall would be the audio technica ath-m50, there's no other headphone in the conversation for unamped headphones in that price range, most high end ones need an amp or don't waste your money, they sound like earbuds without one

I didn't read the part where he didn't want to buy an amp. Generally, 'phones over $200 really need amps to make them sound like the price was justified.

ATHm50 is a nice headphone but I don't think it's the only one worth consideration. Grado and grado-based phones (alessandro ms1) don't need amplification for decent sound/output. Likewise my ESW9 doesn't need amplification either, the other ATH line, the A700 doesn't need much driving from what I recall.

Thanks for the advice, folks. Yes, I'm mainly looking for a pair of quality headsets that don't require an amp to use. However, after browsing through more and more reviews, it becomes increasingly apparent that an amp is probably necessary in order to take full advantage of any pair of hi-end headphones. I really like the Sennheiser 600s and would definitely purchase them, but am deterred by the fact that most reviews state that an amp is necessary in order to even boost up the volume of them to an acceptable level.

I would probably advise against that phone then... I had a 580 and it definitely needed an amp.

What are your preferences? Open back (generally more 'lively', clear, but everybody can hear you)? Closed (sound isolation, no/little sound leakage, generally bass heavier)? Any particular genres? I.e Grado headphones are generally thought of to shine in rock with the pronounced, aggressive mids but lack the bass to do justice to electronica, hip hop, etc..

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

under what context will the cans be used 80% of the time?

Probably either sitting in my room listening to music off my computer, or sitting in the library listening to music off of my iPhone/iPod. A bit of flying here and there, but certainly not a large percentage of my total time. It'd be best if there wasn't too much sound leakage, but at the end of the day, it's not too big of a deal to me.

I didn't read the part where he didn't want to buy an amp. Generally, 'phones over $200 really need amps to make them sound like the price was justified.
ATHm50 is a nice headphone but I don't think it's the only one worth consideration. Grado and grado-based phones (alessandro ms1) don't need amplification for decent sound/output. Likewise my ESW9 doesn't need amplification either, the other ATH line, the A700 doesn't need much driving from what I recall.
I would probably advise against that phone then... I had a 580 and it definitely needed an amp.
What are your preferences? Open back (generally more 'lively', clear, but everybody can hear you)? Closed (sound isolation, no/little sound leakage, generally bass heavier)? Any particular genres? I.e Grado headphones are generally thought of to shine in rock with the pronounced, aggressive mids but lack the bass to do justice to electronica, hip hop, etc..

Are there any decent amps that can be purchased at around a price range of $100? I'd be willing to spend somewhere in that ballpark to buy a decent amp if it meant having a noticeable improvement in the quality of my headphones. If so, I'm looking at an amp + Sennheiser 600s.

I listen to all types of music, to be honest. I'm a younger individual, so I do listen to hip hop and R&B, but I also listen to indie, alternative, and classical music. I don't listen to much rock or metal, if at all.

Thanks again for all the help, gentleman. It's much appreciated.

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a musician and I have the Grado SR125, the AT M50s and the Etymotic ER-4s. The M50s are what I usually take on the road when I'm going to be listening to music around other people. The Grados sound great, but they leak a lot of sound and also are uncomfortable after a couple of hours. (I wear glasses so cans that go on ear vs. over ear are uncomfortable for me after an hour or two.) The Etymotics are fantastic, but again they bother me after a couple of hours of wear. The isolation is great, but I usually leave them in my gym bag now. The M50s sound great, are very comfortable, are reasonably priced, and they leak very little sound. If you're going to be in a library, definitely don't get the Grados as you'll bug everyone around you. The M50s are a great choice.
Fred

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So this is what I've done (and just placed an order on Amazon for):

I purchased the Sennheiser HD 600shttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SY4H/ref=ox_ya_os_product and an Fiio E7 USB DAC / Amp.

I did a bit of research, and it seems like the Fiio E7 is really the best option for a budget amp (in the $100 price range).

I'll definitely upgrade in the future (most likely adding the E9 onto it), but this is about the best I can do as of now on my college budget.

I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means, but am learning more and more every day!

Any thoughts on this combination?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads