• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best headphones for under $350

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I wish I knew what I was doing when it comes to electronics - I've got a pair of Senn HD600s with a side out. I would have no idea where to begin to fix it, our local stereo shops don't repair phones, and the Senn certified guy in LA wants $60 to look at them and tell me how much further he'll **** me. I'll bet it isn't even anything complicated.

Even though you've been disrespectful to me in other threads, I'll chime in.

Its likely not worth the $ even though those are pretty expensive phones. There is a chance its just a loose connection, but you'll never know. It might be worth the $60 but there is a pretty significant chance that he will take you for more.

If you had a multimeter you could at least tell where the signal dies. They do come apart, but when you see how thin those wires internally you'll be afraid to touch them. I know, cuz I wrecked a pair of 560's that way.

What can I say, I'm an asshole.

Thanks for the input, that's pretty much the conclusion I drew. I can probably find a pair of these for sub $200 if I try, or it might be a good time to try out a different model.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wish I knew what I was doing when it comes to electronics - I've got a pair of Senn HD600s with a side out. I would have no idea where to begin to fix it, our local stereo shops don't repair phones, and the Senn certified guy in LA wants $60 to look at them and tell me how much further he'll **** me. I'll bet it isn't even anything complicated.

You will be swapping parts, so it doesn't take too much knowledge. First thing to do is to swap the cable's left and right channels: unplug the cable from each headphone unit and plug it into the opposite headphone unit: left->right, right->left. If the side out moves to the opposite ear, then it's probably your cable, so buy a new cable. If not, it's probably the drive unit, so buy a new drive unit.

If both channels now start working, then you have an intermittent connection. Swap back, and use your headphones normally until it happens again, and see if you can narrow it down with the same procedure.

I've had both (cable and a drive unit) go out on me on the HD580.

edit: one more thing, make sure it's not your headphone jack that's messed up. If you have another pair of working headphones, plug them in just to make sure it's not your headphone amp that's broken.

Last edited:

3dials

Reaction score
I'm not an audiophile, but I do believe in investing in good equipment to get the most out of your music. I second the amp recommendation.

I don't know if you're looking for over-the-ear, open, or in-ear monitor style headphones. I like the in-ear monitors since they provide great sound quality with minimal bulk. Specifically, the Shure SE-425 in-ear monitors. Earphonesolutions.com has them for 20% off (code: DAD20) the usual MSRP of $299.99. I bought all of my in-ear monitors from them since a) they are an authorized dealer (meaning you qualify for the manufacturer's warranty- unlike Amazon.com) while still getting a great price (like Amazon.com).

Sound Quality
Since "what sounds good" is a subjective thing (kind of like fashion-sense and style!), it depends on what you're looking for. I look for accuracy and clarity in what the sound engineers and artists want me to hear. The SE-425s aren't known as "warm" or "punchy" so if you listen to a lot of music that features bass, you may be left a little wanting.

Build Quality
Physically, I need a robust cable with good construction yet with portability that provides isolation (no sound leakage) for those long flights. Kid screaming his head off behind or in front of you? No problem. Just crank up the tunes.

Reviews
Check out head-fi.org for more technical discussions and reviews of alternatives!

Oops- wrong code. Fixed.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What can I say, I'm an asshole.
Thanks for the input, that's pretty much the conclusion I drew. I can probably find a pair of these for sub $200 if I try, or it might be a good time to try out a different model.

I have a pair of 595's and actually prefer them.

The suggestion above was good, swap cables. More than likely not a cable. But where do you source those kinds of parts? Dunno.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

why not give their warranty department a call? most head-phone manufacturers are really good on this

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I'v had them for close to ten years, so definitely out of warranty. A post on head-fi suggests around $140 plus shipping at Sennheiser for a similar repair (if it's the driver, not the cable). The ATH M50 is about that, and is reported to be excellent, I'll have to see if i can find a place to check them out.

Edit. I'll call thm. If the driver is the problem, and i can get one for under $100, I might give it a shot myself.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ just be careful. The wiring in there make a human hair look like elevator cable.

Also, a 10 year old driver in one ear and a brand new one in the other may sound slightly different.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

^^ just be careful. The wiring in there make a human hair look like elevator cable.

Also, a 10 year old driver in one ear and a brand new one in the other may sound slightly different.

Yeah, that had occurred to me - I'm not sure it would be possible to burn the new one in sufficiently to match the older one.

Anybody want to buy a used pair of HD600s?

denzelbalkman

Reaction score
I have a ATH-ANC9 QuietPoint headphones from Audio-Technica which I purchased a couple of months ago after reading its good review here. I am very much satisfied with the way it performs. I have no problems with the unit so far and found the review I read very accurate. Aside from its performance, I also love the way it looks!

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fiance bought me some Beats earbuds, best I've ever used. Not saying much though, I've only used the 10-20 dollar earbuds before this.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
spam spam spam spam
spam spam spam spam
wonderful spam!

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grabbed a pair of Parrot Zik Bluetooth sound cancelling cans for 120 the other day. I'm sure not as food as others mentioned, but a great all-round pair.

Zachgranstrom

Reaction score

Grabbed a pair of Parrot Zik Bluetooth sound cancelling cans for 120 the other day. I'm sure not as food as others mentioned, but a great all-round pair.
Nice, dude!

Anyway, in this price range I would definitely recommend Grado, Audio Technica, Ultrasone, AKG, V-moda, HIFIMAN, and/or Sennheiser. :slayer:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are going to walk around with them, get closed headphones - nobody wants to hear your music.

I have ATH-M50s and they are decent sound quality, but heavy, uncomfortable.

Been interested in KEF-M500s

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads