• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best hangers for vintage jackets?

captainshields

Reaction score
I have some vintage jackets (some leather, some wool, some denim) that I want to make sure I am hanging properly in my closet. Is there something better than a standard wooden clothes hanger I should be using? Thanks in advance

TN001

Reaction score
God help me, but I really like Kirby's hangers, as you can get different widths, and the shoulders are thick without being outrageous. For vintage stuff, it would be cool if you could find the old vintage beechwood Savile Row hangers (with the thin wire hook, and the little plaque with the maker's name on it). Some of the tailors still supply them with suits.

captainshields

Reaction score
God help me, but I really like Kirby's hangers, as you can get different widths, and the shoulders are thick without being outrageous. For vintage stuff, it would be cool if you could find the old vintage beechwood Savile Row hangers (with the thin wire hook, and the little plaque with the maker's name on it). Some of the tailors still supply them with suits.
I’ve actually been using vintage wood hangers (the heavier ones) up until this point (for years). Was just curious if there was anything better for the jackets long term.

TN001

Reaction score
I’ve actually been using vintage wood hangers (the heavier ones) up until this point (for years). Was just curious if there was anything better for the jackets long term.
For tailored, leather, and heavy wool, I just try to find a hanger that fills the shoulders without going too wide or short. Some of those odd creases can be pretty permanent on old fabric or shearling, especially if you don't wear the garment much.

I try and save any lightweight plastic hangers with larger shoulders that I find; Hackett, Barbour, and Schott all provide really good ones.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also like and use Kirby Allison's Hanger Project hangers.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

captainshields

Reaction score
What difference does it make?
Made in the USA is important to me, especially if a hanger is that expensive.
But I do understand if that happens to be the best hanger. I'd probably prefer to look out for quality true vintage hangers in that case since they can be had for around $5 each

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been happy with the wooden hangers from The Container Store

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most (maybe all?) Savile Row hangers are not very good for long-term storage. Ideally, you want a curved hanger that has flared shoulder and rounded neck. Many Savile Row hangers are thin, like you'd see for dress shirts. Or they have a square neck, which risks stretching out the collar.

I use some vintage hangers to hang jeans for novelty, but for proper coat storage, as you'd want on a tailored garment, I think the shape is more important than the country of origin. Kirby makes some nice ones.

captainshields

Reaction score
Most (maybe all?) Savile Row hangers are not very good for long-term storage. Ideally, you want a curved hanger that has flared shoulder and rounded neck. Many Savile Row hangers are thin, like you'd see for dress shirts. Or they have a square neck, which risks stretching out the collar.

I use some vintage hangers to hang jeans for novelty, but for proper coat storage, as you'd want on a tailored garment, I think the shape is more important than the country of origin. Kirby makes some nice ones.
Thank you.
Sorry, what is a Savile Row hanger? Honestly, I've never really though twice about hangers until now so really learning. I've had most of these jackets hung on regular wood hangers for years and haven't noticed any issues, just wanted to get some info for moving forward.

None of my jackets are tailored. They are just regular sized vintage jackets (a few bomber jackets, pea coats, denim work jackets etc). Not sure how much of a difference that makes.

They are all made in the USA vintage jackets so just on a personal level, made in the USA for hangers is ideal. But I understand if no US companies make hangers anymore

captainshields

Reaction score
Also, another question. Would the correct "fit" for a hanger mean the end of the hanger rests approximately where the shoulder seam is on a jacket/coat?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you.
Sorry, what is a Savile Row hanger? Honestly, I've never really though twice about hangers until now so really learning. I've had most of these jackets hung on regular wood hangers for years and haven't noticed any issues, just wanted to get some info for moving forward.

None of my jackets are tailored. They are just regular sized vintage jackets (a few bomber jackets, pea coats, denim work jackets etc). Not sure how much of a difference that makes.

They are all made in the USA vintage jackets so just on a personal level, made in the USA for hangers is ideal. But I understand if no US companies make hangers anymore
Savile Row is a street in London where many of the city's best tailors are based. A Savile Row hanger is a hanger that comes from one of these tailoring firms.

If you are not hanging suits or sport coats, the shape of the hanger doesn't matter as much. There are some vintage collectors of leather jackets. Those jackets are sometimes quite heavy and, supposedly, can stretch with time. I have some heavy horsehide jackets but am not that precious with them, so I don't pay attention.

Tailored garments require specific hangers because a lot of time, care, and work is put into shaping the garment with a hot iron. There are also layers inside the jacket that give the garment a three-dimensional shape. If you use the wrong hanger, it can ruin the shape.

No such shaping is put into casual garments such as bomber jackets, trucker jackets, peacoats, and such. So you can use whatever hangers you want.

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members