• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Hair Styling Products for Men?

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1st post =)
Know this might be a older thread but kickin in my two cents.

Same problem here but but found my cure.
I like high shine so I use the American Crew Pomade which is a medium hold high shine pomade to style.
Then I use the Joico Firmest Hold spray to finish. I've tried a lot of combos and different techniques and this one seems to work the best for me.
I find the pomade texture awesome to play with and the Joico Firmest Spray's hold is amazing, doesn't sag or add weight like other sprays.
I currently work for a high end salon that carries Bumble and Bumble exclusively and honestly, I'm not that fond of our line.
If i had to recommend something from B&B though, it would definitely be the SumoTech.
It has a medium hold, no shine, amazingly light clay. Give it a shot=).
Then of course the Joico Spray. ;)

thanks for the tip!

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
Hell yeah!!!

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
this, or the monster hold, or baxter clay pomade. haven't used either myself but i've read only good reviews.

Hi Sliq,

Over the years l have flirted with T & G Bedhead, Kevin Murphy, American Crew and Dax Wax... Uppercut matt fibre is by far the superior product!

woodywoodford

Reaction score
I go for kind of a Justin Timberlake style. Normally I've blowdried while combing back, used Redken 12 rough paste to shape it and then a quick spray of redken 10 wax blast to hold it in. I ran out of the 12 not long ago and have been using some random fiber for the general shaping (mostly to lock in my part and the front), and then some other random paste to tidy everything up. Holds the shape fantastically.

This whole "multiple products" approach is pretty new to me, works way better than just one all-or-nothing approach.

JesseLivermore

Reaction score
I used to use Crew Fiber. I use Gatsby Moving Rubber now. Very smooth, not used for heavy spiking but to keep texture in your hair and the ability to reform it.

http://www.amazon.com/MANDOM-GATSBY...ie=UTF8&qid=1349268527&sr=8-1&keywords=gatsby
This is actually what I had planned on trying because I need something that will give me a dry matte look. However, from nearly every comment I have heard the consensus has been that it is pliable but also high/super hold - which would be absolutely perfecto for me. It's only ~$10 anyway so 'll give it a shot but I really want to try something that'll give me that gives me a dry matte look with a very strong hold. Pliability is important, but I'll settle without it.

I've also heard good things about ID hair dusty bronze, Schwartzkopf Osis+ Mess Up Texture Matt gum as well as Bumble & Bumble. B&B is of course expensive but I wouldn't mind as long as it gives me what I am looking for.

I've been looking for the last few days and have settled on the Gatsby Moving rubber stuff and the Schwartzkopf Osis+ Matte gum. I'll try these first and just go from there.

oh and, btw, Lay-rite Super Hold is great for those that want a hi-sheen/wet look. It holds and smells great too.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is actually what I had planned on trying because I need something that will give me a dry matte look. However, from nearly every comment I have heard the consensus has been that it is pliable but also high/super hold - which would be absolutely perfecto for me. It's only ~$10 anyway so 'll give it a shot but I really want to try something that'll give me that gives me a dry matte look with a very strong hold. Pliability is important, but I'll settle without it.

I've also heard good things about ID hair dusty bronze, Schwartzkopf Osis+ Mess Up Texture Matt gum as well as Bumble & Bumble. B&B is of course expensive but I wouldn't mind as long as it gives me what I am looking for.

I've been looking for the last few days and have settled on the Gatsby Moving rubber stuff and the Schwartzkopf Osis+ Matte gum. I'll try these first and just go from there.

oh and, btw, Lay-rite Super Hold is great for those that want a hi-sheen/wet look. It holds and smells great too.
i can second GATSBY. it is the bees knees. there's different types for hair lengths and finishes. i've used the orange one which is quite good, as well as the grey/moving rubber.

Mr Rainy

Reaction score
I'm using Alfaparf Uomo men's professional matte paste and It really does work excellently. It holds my hair like I want it the entire day and it is flexible. I can run my hand through it or even get in a fight if needed and it will still hold perfectly.

AustinWaldo

Reaction score
I love to use Garnier Fructis Style for my hair. It smells great, isn't crusty, and is 98% naturally-derived. I have pretty long hair (down to my shoulders) and use this product to slick it back into a pony tail.

Hair_Dude

Reaction score
Maybe Aveda Grooming Clay? You just put a small amount in your hands and rub together, then spread it through hair. I've found that mixing it with a tiny bit of water helps spread it around. Get your hands wet, then rub a bit of the clay between them, or just put it in your hair when it's damp. I think trying to use it on bone dry hair would be tough, unless maybe it's really short.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads