• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Hair Styling Products for Men?

tgod93

Reaction score
So I am an asian male and my hair is really strong and hard to style. Its not curly but not overly straight and it will style the way I want it to but it won't last very long.

My hair is usually 5-7 inches long and here are the products I've tried so far:

Crew Fiber- seems to work better for shorter hair. a bit too dry for me. makes my hair harder to control.
Crew Molding Clay- easier styling than crew fiber but hold isn't strong enough
Crew Forming Cream- not enough hold.

Crew Firm Hold Gel- Decent hold at start but doesn't last more than 3-4 hours.
Aveda Firm Hold Gel- Not as strong as Crew gel. But cool smell. Decent hold without hair getting hard or flaky.

And I FIRST use gel... and then a layer of paste/cream, yet it eventually wears out pretty quick.

Does anyone have any better experiences/recommendations with other products that would be better suited for me?

All in all I either use too little and not being able to control my hair or using too much and having too much of a "slicked back" look.

Thanks ahead of time!

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gatsby products are really big in asia.

tgod93

Reaction score
does anyone have any experience with Bumble and Bumble? They seem to have gotten good reviews but any suggestions would be reassuring.

junior varsity

Reaction score
i am asian, i use the cheap jersey shore gel because my hair is so thick like a bunch of fishing wire weaved into a carpet
the expensive **** doesnt hold... its designed for more refined white people hair

tgod93

Reaction score
i am asian, i use the cheap jersey shore gel because my hair is so thick like a bunch of fishing wire weaved into a carpet
the expensive **** doesnt hold... its designed for more refined white people hair

damn. from your description, my hair doesnt really seem like yours...my hair is "soft" yet heavy/strong/thick. but you make yours sound like its like HAY.

C3Po

Reaction score
Ive got the exact same hair and problems you've encountered. I have used so many products to maintain my style (similar to one in link) and after 4 hours it fell flat. I tried more products and could not find the right one. That was until I actually went to a hair styling director at a good salon and he explained to me why I was having trouble maintaining my style.

Firstly, My hair was not being cut and styled properly to have the style I wanted. He said because my hair was so thick it needed to be cut into the right shape for the style and thinned in the right areas. This has made the biggest difference in my styling and look, worth the extra coin.

Secondly, He advised that I should use an appropriate shampoo. Nothing that was nourishing/repair etc as they soften the hair too much and will flatten it out. A check of my shampoo and i was using Panteen repair which was no good.

Thirdly, I was using way to much product like most men. I was using a pomade with wax or gel to hold the hair. Again, made sense when he explained that the more you add to the hair the less it will have styled hold as it adds weight and will fall flat.

Ok, so this is what has been the answer for me:

*Get a good stylist at a propper salon to cut your hair. Show them the style you want and they will cut it appropriately for you. I use my Iphone to do a google image search. I have a gay guy with good hair cut my hair. No offense to women, but I prefer a guy to cut my hair as they have a better understanding in my opinion.
*Use a non shine shampoo. I use a Redken shampoo for normal hair. Nothing for dry/damaged hair. I dont bother using conditioner as your natural hair oil will be enough.
*Half towel dry your hair when you get out of the shower so it is damp but not dripping.
*Apply some styling mousse for volume and massage into the hair to the roots. About half a palm of mousse and work from the back to the front of the hair (guys always put the most product at the front, this is no good). I use Loreal Tech-ni art
*Blow dry your hair working your fingers upwards through your hair until dry. This will give volume and help with that all day hold.
*Apply a small amount of hair gel to your palm, a little smaller then the size of a coke bottle lid, evenly distribute through the hair from back up and then do front lastly. Use the tips of fingers to control amount and palm will have most of the gel on it. I use Loreal Techni Art Fix gel. Don't try to flatten the hair and dont be too neat use your fingers to style. Once you have the desired look leave it alone.
*On really hot or humid days I will sometimes apply a little hairspray for hold but you have to be careful that you don't make it look like its been hairsprayed. I find holding the can 30-40 cms away is good.

Everything I use now and how I style my hair I got from this stylist. He was awesome enough to tell me what I needed to do and how to style it every day. I suggest that if you really want to get the best advice, go see someone who knows their stuff and ask them. Good luck, I wish you the best. Hope this helps as I have been in your shoes and now I can't belive how less frustrated and hair conscious I am during my day. The lunch time hair fix was the worst beecause once its flat, thats it. You end up looking stupid for the rest of the day with flat floppy hair.

PS; Don't flatten your hair out to much at the top and back. I notice so many guys do this, sorta pat their hair flat near the crown and worry about the front way to much. We don't get the full 360 view on it looking in the mirror but it doesn't look good. Leave some volume on top and back near crown and work the sides and bottom down a lillte more. The chicks will thank you for it ;) GL

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive got the exact same hair and problems you've encountered. I have used so many products to maintain my style (similar to one in link) and after 4 hours it fell flat. I tried more products and could not find the right one. That was until I actually went to a hair styling director at a good salon and he explained to me why I was having trouble maintaining my style.

Firstly, My hair was not being cut and styled properly to have the style I wanted. He said because my hair was so thick it needed to be cut into the right shape for the style and thinned in the right areas. This has made the biggest difference in my styling and look, worth the extra coin.

Secondly, He advised that I should use an appropriate shampoo. Nothing that was nourishing/repair etc as they soften the hair too much and will flatten it out. A check of my shampoo and i was using Panteen repair which was no good.

Thirdly, I was using way to much product like most men. I was using a pomade with wax or gel to hold the hair. Again, made sense when he explained that the more you add to the hair the less it will have styled hold as it adds weight and will fall flat.

Ok, so this is what has been the answer for me:

*Get a good stylist at a propper salon to cut your hair. Show them the style you want and they will cut it appropriately for you. I use my Iphone to do a google image search. I have a gay guy with good hair cut my hair. No offense to women, but I prefer a guy to cut my hair as they have a better understanding in my opinion.
*Use a non shine shampoo. I use a Redken shampoo for normal hair. Nothing for dry/damaged hair. I dont bother using conditioner as your natural hair oil will be enough.
*Half towel dry your hair when you get out of the shower so it is damp but not dripping.
*Apply some styling mousse for volume and massage into the hair to the roots. About half a palm of mousse and work from the back to the front of the hair (guys always put the most product at the front, this is no good). I use Loreal Tech-ni art
*Blow dry your hair working your fingers upwards through your hair until dry. This will give volume and help with that all day hold.
*Apply a small amount of hair gel to your palm, a little smaller then the size of a coke bottle lid, evenly distribute through the hair from back up and then do front lastly. Use the tips of fingers to control amount and palm will have most of the gel on it. I use Loreal Techni Art Fix gel. Don't try to flatten the hair and dont be too neat use your fingers to style. Once you have the desired look leave it alone.
*On really hot or humid days I will sometimes apply a little hairspray for hold but you have to be careful that you don't make it look like its been hairsprayed. I find holding the can 30-40 cms away is good.

Everything I use now and how I style my hair I got from this stylist. He was awesome enough to tell me what I needed to do and how to style it every day. I suggest that if you really want to get the best advice, go see someone who knows their stuff and ask them. Good luck, I wish you the best. Hope this helps as I have been in your shoes and now I can't belive how less frustrated and hair conscious I am during my day. The lunch time hair fix was the worst beecause once its flat, thats it. You end up looking stupid for the rest of the day with flat floppy hair.

PS; Don't flatten your hair out to much at the top and back. I notice so many guys do this, sorta pat their hair flat near the crown and worry about the front way to much. We don't get the full 360 view on it looking in the mirror but it doesn't look good. Leave some volume on top and back near crown and work the sides and bottom down a lillte more. The chicks will thank you for it ;) GL

awesome first post, thanks for the hair tips, and welcome!

bob1234

Reaction score
Quick question about hair products. I have been using Redken Rough Clay 20 for a while now and its amazing. (http://s1.folica.com/img/product/0/...en-rough-clay-20-matte-texturizer-350x350.jpg) I put it in the front of my hair to give it some volume/height like a flip-up kind of.
However, I found out that it has been discontinued for a while now. I read on another forum that the replacement Redken developed a replacement for it but that it is pretty useless and does not have very good hold. Does anyone know of any products that are comparable to the Rough Clay 20?

thanks for your help

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
Kevin Murphy Gritty Business

KM hold well however smells a bit funky, like el cheapo soap?!
I've been using Uppercut Matt Clay, works a treat, and it holds like a beast...

Edith

Reaction score
Here I suggested to u best jel which i Already used, so use it and get any hair style which u like,Its easily available in market

Mousse Jel

Mousse is great for any man's hairstyle and it can create practically any desired look. When used on wet hair, it will give you a sleek, wet look, with shine. When used on dry hair, it will help shape, mold and hold your hair in place with a more natural look. Mousse can also provide volume for men with thiner. Wear mousse on a fashion in pakistan daily basis to create a natural and easy-to-manipulate hairstyle.

How to use it
Shake the bottle. Dispense a small amount in one hand and apply to your hair with both hands. Style your hair to your liking and blow dry for maximum hold.

Main benefit
Mousse allows you to restyle your hair throughout the day without the stickiness factor.

freedomblazes

Reaction score
1st post =)
Know this might be a older thread but kickin in my two cents.

Same problem here but but found my cure.
I like high shine so I use the American Crew Pomade which is a medium hold high shine pomade to style.
Then I use the Joico Firmest Hold spray to finish. I've tried a lot of combos and different techniques and this one seems to work the best for me.
I find the pomade texture awesome to play with and the Joico Firmest Spray's hold is amazing, doesn't sag or add weight like other sprays.
I currently work for a high end salon that carries Bumble and Bumble exclusively and honestly, I'm not that fond of our line.
If i had to recommend something from B&B though, it would definitely be the SumoTech.
It has a medium hold, no shine, amazingly light clay. Give it a shot=).
Then of course the Joico Spray. ;)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads